Basin Lake freeze out

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

Excellent....sometimes the fishing makes the weather tolerable.

2. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Nick,

I think it might be called hypothermia. :) Good thing you with someone who knew enough not to drag it out any longer.

3. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Fishing's fun and I like it, but that sounds just brutal. Glad to hear you guys caught a bunch and got home okay.

4. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

You guys are definitley hard core, glad you got into some fish - but damn. How's your truck?

5. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Glad the fishing was good. I'm sure that made it more tolerable. Glad you came in when you did. Thanks for the report.

Wayne

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

Very nice report and glad you had, for the most part, a good time.

It's a shame you west side guys can't handle the cold like us eastsiders can. I spent the whole day without getting cold except for those brief moments I went outside to the mailbox, to see where the dogs were and a trip to the store. Tuesday and on is supposed to be up to 50 degrees. This weekend is almost a freak coldsnap as it was warmish last week.

7. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Hey Zen
    When I get back at the end of March we will have to represent Columbia
    Basin trout mafia!!!

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    You forgot the mention the terror of the snow flurries. I went to the library and snow was falling from the sky!! Thank god, it did not accumulate on the roads otherwise I would have left the SUV and walked home!!

Two more days. I think we have enough food and wine in the house to survive until Tuesday.

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

With luck it might even be warm by then . . .

Bob Rankin likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    We can be the "warm" Basin Trout Mafia.

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Zen, thinking ahead to an outing on Hutchinson-Shiner with you and Atomic Dog I envision warm temps with red winged blackbirds singing in the reeds, sunscreen and maybe a buff, cold ale in the truck and lots of bluegills on poppers. My imagination can't wrap itself around being bundled up like a Himalayan climber fishing in a stout wind with sub freezing temps. Yesterday I treated myself to broccoli beef stir fry with sweet chile sauce, some cold ale, a nap and watched spring training baseball just to affirm that there was indeed sunshine and green grass somewhere. I did take the dog out for a 20 minute walk in 14 degree temps and gave thanks the whole way that I would soon be back beside the woodstove.

But to those that went out I'm glad you did. Someday you can tell your grandkids how rugged things were back in the old days. With a little embellishment yesterdays outing will be remembered as a ten below zero day with 40 mph winds that produced 3 foot high waves and ice forming in the guides that had to be chipped away with a Bowie knife. Just another typical outing back in "my day".

Ive

12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Ive - I was just thinking the same thing. Even though I passed on an invitation to join Ira and Nick yesterday and could have caught a pile a fish with great companions, what I really missed out on was the opportunity for a tall tale that becomes more harrowing with each passing year.

Jeff Dodd, Irafly and McNasty like this.
  13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Hmmm, my day in the dentist chair is sounding more like a picnic.

14. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    2 inches of slippery snow so far. The pass was closed the past 90 minutes for avalanche deterrent.

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Oh I wanted to keep dragging it out but thank god Nick "whimped" out because my body aches hard core tonight. I most likely didn't help myself much by heading out and fishing the beach in the rain today. I did catch my first sea run cutie on a fly in the salt today though, thanks to Golfman44.

I'm kinda crazy when it comes to fishing and not everyone can keep up with me, Nick is one of those guys despite what he says about giving up, it was seriously time to leave.

16. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Good thing you got Nick out of there. I have had shivers like that one time and its not fun. Are there some smolts coming out of the rivers that made you turn to the salt today?

17. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I fished Lenice on Saturday and it was effing cold. I was in an Outcast prowler with 6 layers on my torso and only three on my legs. My feet actually stayed warm and I had no issue there but after getting on the water at 10:30 I HAD to get out at 2:00 to warm up as I was pre hypothermic. Uncontrollable body shakes for 15 minutes and some bourbon and then I was fine for another two hours. Water temp was 44 air temp started at 25 and got progressively colder. I caught 12 fish all on 'mids of brown and olive. There might have been 12 guys on the lake all day. The only thing that saved my four buddies and myself was a HOT hot tub in Cle Elum.