Basin Lake Report - What is it with some people?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Mike, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

More like BeeDaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Zoo like atmosphere

2. The internet is a double bladed sword and generally the forums are a great place to find reports and scope out new lakes, but on the flipside, the fisheries end up getting mobbed by a growing community of fisherman. While its great for the sport to educate, bring in dollars for the state and for retailers, it ultimately effects the fishery and puts stress on the ecosystem. Is it me or within the last couple of years has the popularity of stillwater fishing boomed??!?! I had a report from a friend of mine who counted 31 cars at Lenice last Saturday. When he turned around and left, there were two cars waiting for his parking spot! Lets not bastardize our resources and turn this into a Costco for every Tom, Dick and Harry to ruin. I can imagine on a busy weekend 40-50 boats on a 50 acre lake, then a few years from now that number turning to 60-70, man, that is just madness! The state smiles on the revenue but how does the lake and its residents feel?

3. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I can remember back a few years there was some fly club outing there and no place to park at beda. walked out to the lake and so many float tubes it looked like a bowl of cherios.

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Sad but true, after a long cold winter for the dry side guys and the wet siders to come over to the dry side, these little gems of lakes with big trout get hammered.
    I used to be able to go to RF when it was the only open water and not have to bring my own rock, but not any more.
    Between the poachers and the C&R guys the trout get pretty tired.
    I can hardly wait for the April opener when I'll be able to walk across Blue lake from boat deck to boat deck.
    You wet side guys and gals are gonna love this. You all are so used to driving bumper to bumper you would not feel right without fishing bumper to bumper.
    I'm just funning ya, ha, ha

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I was there one day when one of those clubs showed up. By the time the entire club roster had kicked out on to the main lake, you'd hear a 'whoosh', 'whoosh' behind you and realize it was someone's backcast from a tube or toon 20-30 yards away. I remember thinking 'someone's gonna get an eye put out from all these flying feathers'.

Another friend was visiting relatives in Soap Lake this last Saturday. He drove out to Beda, took one look at all the cars and turned around and left.

K

6. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Re the zombies and so on... most of the fish I caught that day were redbands or somethin', not triploids. I did land something like 3 triploids but that's, let's see... only 15% of my catch that day. It was damn fun fishing. The trips were lame but the redbands were rippin' it up pretty good, tail dance once, big belly flops... good times.

Yeah, Spring on all the lakes has been ridiculous for some time now. Guess I should go to some cricks next time I'm on the dry side. Sure was a fun day though.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    My point exactly regarding the triploids zombies Jim. The fry and planter sized fish allowed to grow naturally in the lakes are a much better fish in my opinion. Anyone who got to experience great basin area lake fishing before ever hearing of triploids would understand.
    The damn things have become like crack to the WDFW. Plant them and give the anglers an instant jag.
    I realize some lakes, including the top secret one in this thread need a boast at times due the multiple problems they face. The finless missiles just don't do much for me personally.

As far as fly clubs invading lakes, I'm sure some folks feel the same about crowding when a website group has an get together on a lake or a river like this weekend.