Basin lakes report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Sep 24, 2012.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Irafly and I headed east for a few days to see firsthand what conditions are like at a couple of our favorite stillwater haunts. Surface water temps ranged from 63-67. Lots of people were out fishing on Saturday and Sunday but Monday we were joined only by a couple of retired gentlemen. The first lake was a bit of a letdown, only because we were geared up to anchor and either dangle or strip flies from Ira’s pram. The fish were uncooperative, instead roving the lake in large schools that were best targeted by the gas motor and trolling gear crews, who fared very well. We tried some other things but when it became clear that it was a trolling game, at least on that day, we opted to changed venues. The second lake was just what we were looking for and after fiddle-farting around for a couple of hours, we located willing fish on the bottom in 20-22’. The game really didn’t change for the two days we fished. We caught fish on a wide range of patterns including leeches, chironomids, damsel nymphs, callibaetis nymphs, and big ugly streamers. Getting the fly in the zone was really the only requirement to hooking up. It was a great trip to kick off the fall and I can’t wait to get back to the tying bench after field testing and losing quite a few bugs. IMGP0890.JPG

atomic dog and Irafly like this.
  2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Excellent! My kind of trip.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Wow, even the fly box got a workout. Cool.

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Cool report. Sounds like a great trip. I'm looking forward to making it over that way soon

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, that box ended up seriously depleted, could be that I use 5X and Troutpocket uses 2X tippets. I don't think he lost quite as many bugs. In fact I think he kept the same nymph on the entire trip.

It was interesting this trip to fish side by side different patterns and methods. I fished an indicator fairly exclusively and troutpocket used a full sink. We both fished vertical. I think in a slight breeze and a bit of wind I had the advantage but with no wind the full sink was the way to go. I think it worked better because it was less hassle then 25' of leader and an indicator, so he was down in the zone more. With a breeze though, casting was not difficult and I was able to work a larger area. The main key seemed to be putting some sort of food source down in the zone. We pumped lots of redish black chironomids at about a size 14, several blood worms and then a few other various bugs.

6. Moses Lake BOB

Moses Lake BOB New Member

Ira, any size to those fish? M.L. Bob

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Bob the size did not seem to be important. Several of the 14" fish we caught "earned the reel". The smallest fish was 9 1/4" and the largest was 18 1/2". In one area we fished most were 14"-16" and then another area they were 16"-17"

8. Moses Lake BOB

Moses Lake BOB New Member

Ira that is one great report, I also use the full sink presentation, stuck with it, unable to toss 25' plus indicator out of float tube , but very effective. Thanks, Bob

9. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I love the phrase "earned the reel". Today I had a 15" fish that "demanded the reel"

Irafly likes this.
  10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, you saw my presentation, in a tube the deeeeeep indicator is tough unless you drop it and kick away. If I wasn't so visual in my approach I might be tempted otherwise.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

In all honesty the phrase belongs to troutpocket I believe. That dude has seriously elevated my Stillwater game and together we work as a Stillwater team. When we fished this last weekend our collective consciousness help us connect with more fish then any independent effort. At one point a situation on the lake simply set off alarm bells even though neither one of us had ever touched a fish in the spot and for the next couple hours we were just on. I do not need a body of water to myself, I believe firmly in the wisdom of crowds.

12. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    How do I earn a spot on the Stillwater Team?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Putting the three of you on the same lake wouldn't be fair to the fish.

Irafly likes this.
  14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    How do I get a lesson on verticality from the masters?

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    It may require mass quantities of fermented grains or maybe just a please. I'm throwing out my hat to a few other fly clubs as a possible presenter (I've presented a few times now) and I'm also looking to do another presentation for the forum. I did one about two years ago in the spring in Everett and next I'm looking to do one further south for people living that direction. If anyone knows of any venues/fly clubs/fly shops that would be open to the idea say just south of Seattle, I'm game.

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    With your posts, you have already earned your spot!

17. Nick Clayton

Media:
    I'm picturing you guys all in the Hopper wearing matching members only jackets.

Irafly, Patrick Gould and troutpocket like this.
  18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    They are already ordered!

19. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Each one should have a letter on the back that when lined up next to each other spell out the word 'vain'

Gary Knowels, Irafly and troutpocket like this.
  20. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Great report guy's! It kinda made the point of me waiting for a couple maybe three more weeks to head east in Oregon. Figured the bulk of the fish would still be a little to deep. but then again I do love the heavy line straight down approach with chiro's or mini leaches. I also liked the dual lake kinda thing encase one doesn't pan-out to your liking you still have a back-up. I know it's a long way for me to get over east so it's nice to have a couple choices like you guy's did. one of my friends loves trolling flies because he loves to feel the slam while I like the "hands on" fishing .

And yes the east side fish are just so much stronger then the west side it is really no contest. Are you guy's using fluoro tippets? seems I can use 8 pound seagaur and not lose many flies in most the lake I have fished. sometimes (not often) i have to drop to 6 pound but that is the lightest I have found I have to drop to get hook-ups in any lake i have fished recently. I need to tie some damn flies also - can never have to many.