Basin lakes report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Sep 24, 2012.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Yes on the fluoro tippets! I've been going with heavier and heavier tippet strength over the past few years and haven't found the "ceiling" yet. 2x is now what I use for just about everything in lake fishing. No more breaking off fish and many fewer tangles in the leader.

BTW - your two-tone nymph was killer this trip. I probably caught over 30 fish on one fly that was my point fly fished deep. I changed up to several other options for a bottom fly but the two-tone never went back in the box!

mtskibum16, Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I've never found a situation where I've needed less than 4x. And that's only for flies18 and smaller. Most of the places I fish you don't want less than8 lb anyway unless you want to be constantly wondering what keeps breaking you off.

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I know just where to find fermented grains. Any grain you want, I would gladly provide for the tutelage. Barley, check....Wheat, check....rice, check....rye (my favorite), check...potato, check...cabbage, check....honey, check.

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Wish I could like this "twice" ;-)~

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I went ahead and did it for you.

6. robl

robl Member

Let's see the two tone!

7. troutpocket

IMG_2427.JPG

hopeful fly fisher and robl like this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Wait until you see how sexy it looks on the other hook it will be on.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Two tone nymph = boise la grande trip 122.jpg

Most aquatic nymphs are lighter colored on the underside that I have seen! These are from a stomach pumped - large rainbow from a eastside lake.

10. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Nice looking bug troutpocket, can you post a recipe! I think that may be the ticket down here someday.

11. troutpocket

Hook: Tiemco 2302 or Daiichi 1560 #10-12
    Bead: black, 1/8 or 7/64th
    Tail: Pheasant tail fibers
    Body: Fine & Dry dubbing, color: hare's ear
    shell back: pheasant tail fibers from the tail
    Rib: fine red wire
    Thorax: Brown squirrel dubbing spun in dubbing loop and pulled back like a soft hackle.

12. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Thanks Troutpocket for the explanation of the thorax

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

That's a fine looking bug. Ill be giving that one a go real soon

14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Cool fly and thanks for the report! Nick, let's make a trip out that way!

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Definitely Matt! I am always down for lake adventures! Let's put my pram to work soon.

16. robl

robl Member

Gorgeous fly!

17. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I agree on the stronger tippets. I also lose less flies on a poor backcast that cracks like a whip sending your streamer to the depths. However sometimes find myself worrying about snagging up. On a 2X tippet you may be putting your fly line in jeopardy. Unless its summer time and then you are going in after it. On a recent trip to Nevada I had to go in after a snag about 5 ft under water in a freezing river thats a little sketchy. I guess it just depends on the situation.

18. troutpocket

My experience with switching to 2x is that I bend out hooks. Also my hookup-to-landing ratio for sticks has increased dramatically ;)

19. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Do you dub the body first then tie the tail in and lay over the dubbing? or do you tie the tail fibers in, lift out of the way and dub then lay them back down and tie them off in the front before wrapping with wire?

20. troutpocket

The latter. Tail first, pull back the remaining fibers, dub body, pull the shell back forward, rib with wire, dub thorax, tie off and done.