Bass Boat on the Sound, why not?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jim Speaker, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Okay, so my top three choices for a boat for the puget sound are looking like smokercraft, hewes or lund around 16'. But as I searched craigslist for the past several weeks, while I wait for my budget to become available, I just keep running into these bass boats that seem like a *perfect* setup for flyfishing... some of them are clearly a no go, with way to shallow of hull, not something I'd want pitching around on chop, but others seem to have just enough V for the job, and driver/passenger seats that are low center of gravity in addition to the casting seats. Some of the best deals in my budget range are on these boats... they come with all the bells and whistles.

I know the chop can get real gnarly out there, I grew up on it, but that would be the times I get my boat off the damn water anyway. I'd also want to look into installing some rails to prevent man overboard from the casting deck(s).

What am I missing here? Is there something screwed about running a bass boat on the Sound? :hmmm:

2. BFK

BFK Member

There are some hulls that would work, Jim. I think the two largest problems are the tendency of these boats to take one over the bow in a chop, and the rather large motors on them. Compared to a 16 Lund Alaskan--which would run very well with a 40-hp, a 16 bass boat would need at least twice that to perform adequately. Most of the boats I've sen advertised (not that I've really been looking) run with 150s--that is roughly 2 mpg at something less than wide open. A Lund (or other) with a four-stroke 40 would probably get something like 8-10 mpg at cruise.

Having said that, there are some bass boats I would think would be perfect, and they are the little aluminums based on a mod-vee jon boat hull.

3. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

there is a big difference between the pro bass boats and regular bass boats, the rerg. are less coin and they are more of a multi-species, i think they would be fine but know your limits and have pfd's handy. if you could find a multi-species boat has more of a "v" hull or a walleye boat would also be fine but, what ever you decide to go with remember to flush the engine for at least 5 min. and to wash {with soap and water} after every use. you only need to skip it once and its like crack you'll start to skip it all together and then you'll have a crappy rust bucket that you couldn't pay to get rid of.

4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    I don't have anywhere near the required budget but if I did...

I'd be seriously investigating a 'bay boat' like the Shearwater, etc. As long as you're concentrating on inshore flyfishing and are circumspect about weather conditions, one of these seems like it would be dreamy.

Shearwater bay boats

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

I have actually considered a bass boat simply for the casting deck space. My 17.5 AquaSport gets rocked on busy weekends. I've had large displacement pleasure boat go by and actually take water on from their wakes while I am drifting & fishing. In a bass boat it would be very wet. Weather would not be your issue, but boat wakes would be.

There's publication at Borders - Saltwater Fly Fishermen maybe - a number of inshore, light tackle boat manufacturers advertise in there. Some of those boats look dreamy. If I had to do it all over again, and if money is not your limiting issue (like within $35K fully pimped), I would be tempted to look into one of those boats.

6. colton rogers

thats what im saying, a multi-species boat would be just what your looking for, the hull in v and they have casting decks. the decks are about 1.5-2 feet off the water and they wouldn't take on that much water plus if they do that's why god created bulges. im not saying buy this boat but this is the style of boat im talking about.

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_details.jsp?entityid=108642141&srh_prev=No%3d7%26rt%3dboat%26ro%3d1%26r%3d108679291%26entityid%3d108679291%26rs%3dboats.com&srh_next=No%3d9%26rt%3dboat%26ro%3d1%26r%3d108673301%26entityid%3d108673301%26rs%3dboats.com&rev_srh=sfm%3dfalse%26ic%3dtrue%26bdi%3dtrue%26slim%3dquick%26uom%3d126%26sm%3d3%26duom%3d126%26wuom%3d126%26currencyid%3d100%26luom%3d126%26N%3d2267+2814+3162+4294959339+4294936698%26Ntk%3dboatsEN

7. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Yeah, I'm lookin' for a serious bargain. Some of the boats you linked are awesome, but beyond my budget.

I hear ya though, the boats that appealed the most to me were a modified v-hull aluminum - basstrackers were one of the makes that seemed suitable and have nice console / windscreen setups and low profile seating. I was contemplating the boat wake thing, yep yep... a tug boat goes by and... hehe. I know. Alright guys well I think I'm going to include some of the deeper V models that aren't running in the 2 mpg range, I wanna be able to go go go. Thanks for the opinions!

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jim, you should look at some of the sleds out there that are being sold off like hotcakes. You can find a decent semi V'd sled with windshield, top, and outfitted for a few grand. Just have to jump on them when they pop up. Had a nice semi V with pump. Yes, you lose power at the pump, but they still run in saltwater. Stable in the chop, then can be ran up rivers as well if need be. Mine had a walk through and a standing bow to cast from. Was an old Valco. Great boat. But they're out there. Plus, depends on all that you want to do. Toss a kicker on there, and roll with the tide with it kicking away. Then fire up your big motor when you want to scoot to another location. Just an option. As much as I hate fishing the salt, I still would run out to Dalco, Pt D, or the GH area and fish if I had time. Easy for me to drop in over near Brown's Point when I lived there and shoot across the water way. Now, if it was a VERY semi V, to almost flat bottomed there would be NO WAY I'd run the salt in them. Deep V is prefered, but I got by with my semi V ok.

9. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Jim,

It sounds like the limiting factors are your budget and the towing capacity of your rig. I sold a 17foot center console this summer (Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser) to a forum member. It was a great platform for fly casting and pretty good in the chop. The older 18 foot Outrage Whaler was a great hull and can be found occasionally around here online. I think you're on track however, with the 16 foot aluminum hull with a small outboard. If it's too rough for that you probably won't be flycasting anyway. They're easy to haul with any vehicle and you can launch them almost anywhere - a big factor given some of the horrific launches I've used over the years here. There are tons of options on those hulls and plenty of bargains online. You can also beach an aluminum boat without grimacing.:)

Connor's advice about flushing the motor is good. Not sure about the soap and water every time but at least a good rinse, especially the trailer.

Good luck and cheers.

JR

10. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Yeah, I had to help my dad with his boat every time we went out on the Sound as a kid, so I know the drill re saltwater corrosion. Just as with my other gear, I have to desalinize every single time *or else*...

As far as "other uses" certainly I'll be taking this boat to lakes and will be happy to see the upper C open up to me. I'm looking for a fair bit of HP (40+) for getting around, and a small kicker. If I decide to run it in shallower rivers I'll look into getting a jet-pump as an alternate motor.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Cheers.

11. colton rogers

if you do run into big wake problems put the bow to toward the wake, and besides tubs are slow going they dont have that big of a wake.

12. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    look at the G3 Outfitter series Jim-
    welded hull, diamondplate deck, etc etc. good boats.
    I have the 14' and it's fun on the Sound and lakes. If I was fishing salt a lot I'd get a V170T

13. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Given the number of times I'm gonna want to put this sucker on the beach I think my only option is aluminum, whether it's tagged a "bass boat" or not. I've picked your brains sufficiently to know just what I'm looking for - I want about 16' aluminum with console and at minimum windscreens (prefer windshield/canopy but at my budget ya right) and enough V for the Sound (not the coast), but just shallow enough that I can pop a jet-pump on for rivers. I can get me some use out of that for many years to come ;)

Thanks again guys.

14. wolverine

wolverine Member

You can't just swap out the prop lower unit for a pump. If you are going to switch between the 2 you will need a jack plate so you can adjust the pump height.

15. colton rogers

you can run a prop engine in rivers just be cautious, get an outboard with mechanical trim so you can just set it really high if you want and spray some water that will keep the prop high from the bottom. the mechanical trim is adjustable from the throttle so it wouldn't be stuck at one setting. river boats should have a minimal "v" hull and you can have a flat bottom boat on the sound if its wide enough on the bottom so it doesn't rock and roll to much.

16. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

there are some slick little jack plate/trim and tilt combinations for small outboards. CMC makes a nice one that I used this last November. Google trim tilt jackplate.

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Good point, johnnyrockfish, A guy I know who had a career in the Coast Guard showed me his new setup last year. It was a 16' shallow vee with a 30 hp prop outboard with power tilt (includes a jack plate). He said that was "all ya need."
    My 16' "bass boat" is rated for 30hp MAX. The guy I bought it from said it jumps up on plane and really flies with only the 25hp 2-stoke he had on it. I don't know if some guys just aren't power crazy, thinking you need an 80 hp on a 16' boat.
    Mine almost planes out with a 9.9 hp 4 stroke.

Its an older SeaNymph, not that heavy, only partially welded, mostly riveted. Here it was when I first got it. A tree had fallen on it and crumpled a rail, which was welded. First thing I cut off the old anchor pulley on the bow.

Attached Files:

18. colton rogers

riveted boats in salt water can be really bad if you dont take care of them almost perfectly, the salt gets into the rivets if there are any space and eats it out until the rivet is gone, then water just pours in and you sink

19. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    How about a Boston Whaler?? Those things were the hot thing to have up in Ketchikan. I dont know what they go for, but people claim you can saw them in half and they would still float.
    That or a Lund skiff with like a 15 HP. Hell we paddled my uncles canoe in the harbor area that he lived on.
    I am a fan of the jet as well. You do loose a bit of power but you dont have to worry about prop strikes. But I understand about the budget thing. Good luck with your hunt!!

Just two cents from a guy with friends who own boats

20. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

I was in a 14 sea nymph this past fall. It was a v hull with full transom and a long shaft 25hp Mariner 2 stroke. With the trim/tilt/jackplate and the motor positioned right we were getting on a plane in about than a foot and running in less than that. We ran at 22 - 23 mph on the GPS. I don't know much about the whole jet thing and how much more HP you need but that hull you've got looks perfect for what you're talking about wanting to do. A good rinse is all you need and the rivets will hold up for decades. The real old riveted boats were more of a problem in my experience than a quality boat in the last 15 years or so.

Looks like a really fun boat to build up, have fun.

JR