Bass fishing - blasphemy?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Pieter Salverda, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Kalm

Kalm Member

Great tips cmtundra! Thanks!

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I know absolutly nothing about Bass. Don't even want to fish for them. They are not trout so I leave them alone.

Jim

3. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Nice smallie by the way. :thumb: I'd like to learn to fish for them more. I've caught a few by chance but never got them down to a science. Smallies and Pike are two fish I really want to get friendly with in the near future.
    Smallmouth are a little different game than their larger mouthed cousins. Back home, fishing for smallmouth was considered a little more "sophisticated" than largemouth fishing. Probably because the smallies were a little less populated & live in colder water with cleaner bottoms than the largemouths.

4. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Smallmouth on a fly are great. I caught this one this past May on the Columbia. I used a Crawfish pattern, casting up against the rip-rap.
    The fly would barely start sinking and they would whack it. This one had several Crawfish in various stages of digestion in it's mouth and throat that landed all over the boat. Released back to make more. What a hoot.... :thumb:

5. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Nice fish, gcbcaddis! I've caught them like that here at Potholes, but not yet on the fly rod. Biggest is about 15" on the fly rod so far.

What part of the Columbia is that? Reminds me of Crow Butte a bit.

6. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

There are huge bass in Lake Joy.

7. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

Guys...I know of one other guy who fishes O'Sullivan like I do.

I'll be out there in my pontoon Aug 24 - 27...alone as usual and getting a fish every other cast...some up to 15". The water between the dam and Goose Is. is a prop-eater and the fish are pretty much untouched. A 6wt floater, a 4 inch white bunny leech...and a fish fry every night.

8. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Good eye Atomic Dog, We were in that area. A mile or so upriver from Crow Butte Island/State park. We fished the rip-rap on the Washington side. Almost every point we came to had a good number of fish this one was the largest one of the day. the average was 15"-18".

9. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Spent a nice hour and a hlaf on a local lake last night fishing for Bass and White Crappie. Funny thing was while I have fished this local lake a lot in past years, I had not fished it at all this year even though its less the 15 minutes from home. I caught many small 4"-6" bass, lots of 8"-10" bass and one nice 2 LBS Bass as well as some nice white crappie. I would guess that very large Crappie I caught and released last year has had a few young now and most likely at least some of those guys are from that big mama. Up untill that large Crappie I never had caught one from that lake before. This year the lake seems to be holding a couple good sized schools of them.
    While out on the lakes saw lots of Bass and Crappie up in the shallows holding in typical holding spots around stumps and all. Also saw one nice sized for the lake Rainbow in the shallows above a downed tree with a bait hook and swivel and maybe 8" of line hanging out just chilling in the shallows. While I did cast in after spotting some of the bass and crappie in the shallows I left the trout alone since the lake is small and the water right now is very warm. All in all it was a very relaxing evening for Amie and I even though she only caught a couple of small Bass.

10. Brooktrout1

Brooktrout1 Member

I hope I attached this correct. If so, then it is a James River Smallmouth. Came it at 7 and 1/4 pounds. To give the photo some perspective, I have a huge head and weigh around 250. FAT MAN CATCH FAT FISH.

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Nice smallie!