Bass in Western Wa

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Connor H, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    are there any good ponds ofr spots in western washington that produce bass or bluegill?

Thanx in advance :thumb:

2. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

Media:
    I dont fish 4 bass but i have seen some large ones in lake wilderness while fishing for trout in my tube. and i have friends who have caught 5 pounders on morten and sawyer.

3. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Right across the Hood Canal Bridge. Any of the lakes around there have nice populations of bass and bluegill in the summer. They aren't big, but they are numerous.
    -Ethan

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Hit Lake Sixteen in Skagit county and wipe them out. The bucket biologists brought them in and they ate what were left of the west slope cuts native to the lake.

5. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I've never felt bad about bonkin' those bass in 16, too bad about those cutts. Really miss em'. And don't forget Grandy lake up by Baker way, that use to be a sweet cutt lake too until all those bass showed up.

6. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Beaver Lake in Sammamish has plenty of both

7. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

pretty much any lake in WA has em. blackmans here in snoho has plenty of em. got a 4lber, and a couple 2's last year, didnt bass fish it much last year.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Lake Washington. :thumb:
    Lake Cavanaugh....and if you go there then Cranberry @ Deception.
    Lake Roseiger.
    and others mentioned above.

10. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

There are actually MANY good bass lakes in W. Washington. Some lakes they get very little pressure too.

I would say it is far easier to get a 6 pound bass on the fly than a 6 pound trout in W. Washington.

It is all about the season though, you gotta fish them when it gets to the evenings of the dog days of summer; blue skies with very little weather change for 3 or more days. Other months are okay too but it is the dog days when you can have fish on every cast if you find a nice quiet little pond or lake somewhere.

11. Gary Strassburg

Gary Strassburg 'cuz chicks dig scars

Campbell Lake on Fidalgo Island (near Anacortes) has some decent sized Bass in it. Lots of Crappie and Bluegill too...

Also in Skagit County is Big Lake, which has the same.

Gary

12. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Steel Lake if you can stand fishing in the almost in the middle of Seatac mall has some huge bass.

13. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Thanks guys but its not my first time bass fishing, I have bass fishid from 2-3 years old. Im just looking for little ponds that are accesible from shore or belly boat.:D

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Bassonfly -
    Virtually every water in the Puget Sound area that has public access has bass.

A resource that you might find helpful in localing bass ponds would be:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/prospects/county.htm

Click on the county of interest.

BTW -
    If folks are concern about the impacts of the bass on the trout population a couple things should be kept in mind. One it is virtually impossible to fish a bass population out once they are extablished. Two most of the impacts on trout population is typically from competition for food rather than predation. It is the small young of year and yearling bass that compete directly with the trout for food items. Three angling can change the age/size structure of bass population. Leaving the older/larger fish in the population (selectiely removing the smaller fish) leads to a more balanced population where the larger bass help control the number of small bass and in effect improving the trout survival. A lake with a balanced mixed species population will never produce the kinds of poundage of trout that a single species lake will however such waters often produce some very nice trout and in many cases they can be larger than those found in a single species water.

Tight lines
    Curt

15. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Sure! They are all over now, in the ponds that USE TO HAVE nice Coastal Cutthroat in them that were a joy to catch! So sad...don't make me cry. bawling:

16. PeteM

PeteM Member

Lake Sammamish is a good bass lake. Read previous reports for locations.

17. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Step one: Collect (electro shock) endemic trout, set aside
    Step two: Rotenone like it's doomsday
    Step three: Replace endemic fish
    Step four: wash, rinse and repeat as needed

Serioulsy I know there is like a 0% chance of bass staying gone even if you nuke the lake. Bass are fun, I just wish the WalMart crowd (yeah I said it...so what) would chill on dumping them in every stinking puddle they find. Bass aren't THAT great.

18. flyfish_pimp

flyfish_pimp $2 coyote steak

Media:
    Give Lake Alice a try...I fished it a handful of times last summer, had some good days out there. Mostly dinks, but I did pretty well with a red/orange/yellow popper - even mid day. Topwater bass is topwater bass.

Wont be really good until it starts warming up, June or July probably.

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for the link, Curt. Thanks also for answering my question that I was about to ask concerning the impact of bass populations on the trout in our local lakes. I had always wondered if the larger bass' predation on the smaller trout was a big factor. Now i don't have to worry about that as much. I'll start keeping a couple of small ones if I get 'em. At what size range does the competition for food with juvenile trout begin not to be a problem?
    I've caught mainly a lot of 6" to 8" little guys the few times i've targeted them.
    Their filets should fry up to taste pretty good as an appetizer. :beer1:

20. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    reviving an old old thread...

before fly fishing, I extensively did bass fishing during the summer seasons.

most W.Washington lakes will hold largemouth, while the biggers ones have smallmouth. not big, but almost every lake has a population of em. Some bass lakes to note:

Pine Lake - spring and summer time, when the lake opens up, this lake is bass crazy. This lake holds a ton of smallmouth and largemouth and 5lb+ is not a rarity. The left cove from the launch is fairly low water (literally 1-5ft) and is a great holding spot for spawning bass.

Sawyer, Wilderness, Fenwick, and lakes around the area - the renton/kent area as well as most lakes in Fed Way hold some giant bass. During spring season, I used to catch literally 20 fish in a single outing of a few hours. 3-5lbers are fairly common.

Haller Lake - i discovered this small lake near Carkeek while I was driving back from the beach one day. Decided to dunk my float in and see how it is. You can literally cover the entire lake in a matter of few hours and holds some very nice bass. Perch and planted trout are pretty common too.

Lake WA, Sammaish - both are probably prime location for huge largemouth and smallmouth. I was once jogging along Seward Park and watched a few guys fishing near a big bush. I went to check it out and noticed there were 4 giant smallmouth spawning. Likewise, if you are near UW, hang out around the Arboretum area and you'll find a number of largemouth and smallmouth cruising along the shore line.

I can name all the lakes I've fished for bass but like I said, most W.WA lakes will hold bass and have a decent population of 3lb+ ones.