Bass on Balsa

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by flyinthesouth, Aug 16, 2013.

1. flyinthesouth

flyinthesouth New Member

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Love it, I have been getting out nightly an hour before dark and tossing poppers. It is some of my favorite fishing.

3. flyinthesouth

flyinthesouth New Member

Dude its mine too. That guy in the picture was the last fish I caught after about 15 dinks. Surprised/scared me for sure. Can't believe I was able to pull it out of the weeds with 4x tippet.

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Up here 4x is about all I use, I got my biggest bass of the year earlier this week and he was about the size of the one in your pic :(

With the really short summers(if you can call it summer!) we dont get very many large ones.

5. flyinthesouth

flyinthesouth New Member

I live down south- Arkansas- and 4x is a little light. I had my 6wt rigged up for hoppers and was too lazy to change. It is not so much that the fish will break off 4x- it is more about the lillies and junk in the water- 1x and 0x (or cheap 10 lb mono) are preferable.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I make all my friends who drink wine(I don't touch the stuff) save their wine corks. I then cut them in half or thirds, paint them and add hackle. Slightly heavier than balsa, but sit lower in the water column, and make one hell of a ruckus. Nothing better than seeing wakes coming from all directions to investigate.

Kcahill likes this.
  7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Do you dremel out the front of the cork or leave it flat? I have a bunch of wine corks but havent tried it yet.

8. flyinthesouth

flyinthesouth New Member

The ones I use are actually balsa- not like a wine cork. Wine corks will work and a dremel will carve them. Balsa tends to be lighter, easier to carve and it takes paint better. You can get it at craft stores. Only problem is you have to buy a drink separately.

Oh and I leave most of them flat- they make different "pops" depending on the shape of the face so its good to experiment.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I cut them at an angle(guessing thirty degrees), and hollow out the front just a little. I then paint and seal with fingernail polish. I was amazed at how well they work. Balsa sounds better, but I work with what I've got.

10. flyinthesouth

flyinthesouth New Member

Ya man I've used corks before and they do work- helps if they are the solid cork ones and not the glued together type. I use finger nail polish too but I've finally admitted that it is worth it to seal them with epoxy- makes them bullet proof.

triploidjunkie likes this.