Bass on the fly - 40 fish in 3 hours!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Dipsnort, Apr 30, 2004.

1. For the first time ever, I fly fished for bass yesterday and it paid off big time - 36 largemouth bass, 2 perch, 2 bluegill. They weren't monsters (12" was the biggest), but on a 3wt. fly rod, it was a real kick in the pants! :)

I honestly don't think that it was the particular location. Any bass lake should provide similar results.

I used a floating line and did short quick strips with wooly buggers next to shore, along lily pads, along reed lines, etc. Color didn't seem to matter, and I'm confident that nearly any pattern will work. Try it for a change of pace some time. :)

2. Western Washington Or Eastern Washington. I have never fished for Bass, but I thought it was too soon. I am probably wrong. When should I start?
    Josh

3. Do you feal up to sharing the location of lake or might you suggest one around the marysvile area?

"If fishing is like religion, then flyfishing is high church." - Tom Brokaw

4. This lake is in Western Washington. With the recent warm weather, the lakes are warming to the point where bass are becomming much more active and are moving from deep to shallow areas. At this time of year they will readily go after anything that looks like food.

I don't want to share the name of the lake - it is quite small and cannot take a lot of pressure, but I will reiterate that any lake that holds bass should produce similar results.

5. I would guess that around 50% of the South King County lakes have Bass. I would guess that its the same up North. Once you find out how far from shore they are hanging out they are quite easy to catch when the bite is on. I myself have had many 20-40 fish days on lakes close to home. I rarely travel more the 1/2 hour from home just to Bass fish.
    For the next week or two the smaller lakes would still be a better bet since they warm up quicker but all lakes should be starting to have some Bass action already this year with all the warm weather we have had.

6. >I would guess that around 50% of the South King County
    >lakes have Bass. I would guess that its the same up
    >North. Once you find out how far from shore they are
    >hanging out they are quite easy to catch when the bite
    >is on. I myself have had many 20-40 fish days on lakes
    >close to home. I rarely travel more the 1/2 hour from
    >home just to Bass fish.
    > For the next week or two the smaller lakes would
    >still be a better bet since they warm up quicker but
    >all lakes should be starting to have some Bass action
    >already this year with all the warm weather we have
    >had.

7. "I honestly don't think that it was the particular location. Any bass lake should provide similar results."

If the lake isn't special, then you shouldn't mind sharing the name of the lake . . . ?

:thumb

8. Flydreamen or what ever your name is. Go to Cassity or Flowing or Panther Lakes as they all have bass in them or you could try Bosworth as there are some bigger bass in there. Just ask Flip as he seems to have answers.

Jim

9. jee, thanks jim! you remebered that i am young and arrogant! i know everything! hehe:rofl

we got into some nice bass, and some more nice bass. shawn picked up a good sized fish, and i got 400 of the lil farts. i love armstrong. panther is a fun one as well, we should find a group who wants to go hit it sometime soon. lots-o-crappie in there.

tom

10. >If the lake isn't special, then you shouldn't mind
    >sharing the name of the lake . . . ?
    >
    >:thumb

I'll give you a hint - it's NOT Steele Lake in Federal Way. I fished there for 4 hours yesterday, and not even a bump! :rofl

11. The Bass in Steele Lake are on the back side of the lake in the pads and in the small bay that there is only a small canal to get back to it. I will give that information out freely because the lake is ugly and full of trash back there anyways. Also the area is hard to cast in with all the trees back there. Even the hardware guys have trouble casting back there without spooking the fish. The water is less the 2 feet back there. Be ready to lose some flies. If you can get back there without spooking the fish, which is not easy, there where some real hogs back there during the warm months, but they spook really easy. Fishing back there is also one or two fish and then they are all spooked.
    Last time I fished there was 3 years ago and while there were not many, the Bass there, did have a little size to them. I do not ever plan to fish that lake again myself. To many lakes with nicer views and cleaner. While the lake is good for fishing, its such an ugly place. Even has shopping carts and old furniture thrown out by the apartment owners there into the lake.
    By the way there are also some large Trips planted there every year and lots of hold overs.
    I bet at one time it was a real good lake, but its to close to the mall to stay clean I guess.

12. You're right on the money, Hikepat! For the first time ever, I went deep into the lily pads and right next to the apartment building, and then I went over through the little canal, and there is furniture & construction debris all over the place, not to mention the garbage on the shore back there. Yuck - still makes me sick thinking about it! :rofl