bass pond

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ghettoflyfisherman, May 7, 2002.

1. Ghettoflyfisherman

Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

I was wonderin' if any one can provide me with some information on a bass lake and/or pond in the sound area. I would like to stay on the west side of the Cascades. Thanks for the info on the subject.
    GHETTO
    [marquee]"Keep it reel, Keep it ghetto"[/marquee]

2. steve

steve New Member

You might try Mill Pond in Auburn. I know it has some bass in it. It's right across the street from the White River on the south end of Auburn.

3. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Fish Lake by Deep Lake, Sammamish, Bass lake, Lake 12 and Genneva and many others all have bass that can be caught on fly once the water warms up. Until then fishing for bass can be slow. One of the best I have found is American lake in Tacoma. This time of year fish deep and slow to have any chance at a bass. Even then it will be hard to get them to take the fly until the water warms up since they will not move far but will only take what seems easy which equals slow and not more then a body length or two away. A fish finder can help you not to waste time for water that holds no fish.

4. Ghettoflyfisherman

What month in western washington does the water usaully start to warm up at "hikerpat". I would like to thank u all for the information

5. miked

miked New Member

Media:
    try kellog lake on kellog lake road out of sulton.great pond for bass cuz its only 6 to 8 feet deep and it heats up real fast and its clear as a bell. shady putt in but well worth it. o and watch for thoes beavers! :THUMBSUP

6. rockfish

rockfish Member

hey ghetto april the bass start to get real active around 55-60 degree water. may is usually the spawn, then june is post spawn in the puget sound region. so now is the time cause they should be on the beds but its been a solid cold front this year. lily pads are barely startin to grow and were in may. try the shallow bays in lakes for spawning bass and pre spawn bass. its been a real wierd spring and me and some of my buddies have had terrible luck fishing for bass compared to last year when it was early. Ben

stick to leech,sculphin, crawdad imatations fished slow and along the bottom. throw the poppers away, this aint the south.

7. Ghettoflyfisherman

TRUE DAT![/b}]
    This aint the South, rockfish, thank u'll for the great information. i think i will go try my luck at one of those ponds soon.
    [font color="red" size="2"]GHETTO[/font]

8. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Don't forget the Arboretum on Lake Washington, or the Mercer Slough. Both are great spots for non motorized boats, and good brushy places for bass fishing.

Also, Cottage lake in the summer is home to many bass and the trout fishing really drops off due to the warmth of the water. I used to fish Big Lake in Skagit County for bass and I hear it still produces fish, but you might want to be in a power boat.

9. gonefishing4ever

gonefishing4ever New Member

This is not the south, but a largemouth is a largemouth and topwater presentations work well even when the water is 55-65 degrees, take into consideration that a largemouth is a major opprotunist.True, when the water is cold they are "less active",and thus they are just as likely to react to a slow presentation on top, within their strike zone, as they are to a slow presentation anywhere else in the water column, I was at whistle lake in Anacortes today and saw largemouth in the 2-3 lbs range hangin close to cover in less than a foot of water and had two strikes on the surface, hooked one lost both. The water temp on the north side of the lake in less than 4 ft was 57 at 1pm. The sun was shining and I bet the water had warmed at least 4 maybe 5 degrees by then.

for ghetto, try Campbell, Clear, and Beaver ponds in Skagit Co., they are bitin as we speak. no beds yet as far as I can tell, and prespawn patterns are in effect, i.e. suspended on points, drop offs close to bedding areas, shallow creek channels early in the day before the sun comes up, then start looking shallow around noon, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

good luck!! :THUMBSUP

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I find late May early June but it depends on the lake and its depth. Use leech. minnow pattern for best results but you never know I have had them hit Caddis in the late evening while fishing for trout. If you want top water action use a floating line and a bunny hair bait fish pattern, work it like you would a Rappela jerk bait. This also works for large trout in Idaho at lake Pendleton when they trout are feeding on the bait fish schools. Lots of great action

11. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

Mill Pond

Mill Pond has been stocked with trout and only kids up to 14 are allowed to fish the pond.

12. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Media:
    Lake Ballinger (Mountlake Terrace just east of 99 off the Sno/King line) has a lot of bass and big ones. Check out reports in www.washingtonlakes.com for past reports on this lake. There is abundant lilly pads and docks to fish. Tons of perch as well. (don't eat anything out of this lake...they've had problems with the water in the past)

Also check out Beaver lake (king county) on the Issaquah Plateau just east of Pine Lake about 5 miles. I've caught bass there. There is trout in that lake too. Open year round. I think it gets planted with trout (no triploids) just prior to the regular season opener...olive/black or brown wooley bugger with a sink tip line... :THUMBSUP

13. closed_loop

closed_loop Guest

I grew up on Beaver lake in Issaquah, some great bass fishin' there as well as Pine Lake in Issy as well. Some good smallmouth at Pine Lake but all largemouth at Beaver. With all the cold weather we've been having lately largemouth on both lakes will take a while to kick off. But the smallmouth population at Pine lake is lame to fair right now.(bit of a colder water fish) I'd say early June or late, late MAy will be sufficient for water temps to be good for pre spawn bass. Any fly that immitates a leech or frog fished right on top of, or in a spawn bed will trigger a ferocious hit. Poppers work well if worked close to a bed also. Special hint! use a heavy leader lily pads do a number on your line. I just tie on a 9' length of 10# mono for my needs. The bass don't care, or spook to much for that matter. As a matter of fact, a good slap on the water w/ your fly is all you need sometimes. Good Luck :THUMBSUP

14. Rob

Rob New Member

You might want to try Ken's U-Fish on Camano Island. These private lakes (large ponds) are primarily trophy trout fisheries but also contain some nice largemouths. It sucks having to pay to fish, but I have caught some nice bass there in the 2-5 lb range.