Bass spawning soon!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by dominic7471, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Seeing how the bass are spawning soon, i am wondering what are some good small bass lake and what flies would be good.... i am tying orange decievers and soon some crawwdads and just would like some insight.... thanks

Dominic rickert

2. I have been told that Lake Campbell, just north of Pass Lake has some decent bass fishing. I plan on trying it out this spring.

3. Campbell is awesome, the whole thing is a bass heaven. See you at the spawn!

4. beaver lake in sammamish has a good large mouth bass population plus all the stocker triploid trout

5. While the bass are on the beds the bass will attack almost anything that comes near their beds. I'd throw some big streamers or leeches at them.

Some good local lakes are sammamnish, Alder.

If you go to the Eastside, it would be definitly worth hitting up banks lake for the smallies spawn.

6. Ripping fish off their spawning beds? I'm going to save this one for use at a later date.;)

7. You're going to target spawning bass? That is completely unethical. It is every bit as unethical as targeting spawning steelhead, salmon, or any other game fish.

8. Oh the drama.. Sounds like a sewing circle around here some days..

9. Are you kidding? Bass are about 100 times tougher than salmonids when regarding spawning beds, it is not the same with bass. Dont walk on the beds obviously, and generally it is the male gaurding the bed, he is smaller than the female and much more aggressive. I remember one out on lake fork outside of dallas that hit our fly over a dozen times, but we never landed him. Bass will not hardly be affected, they simply resume their guard job, where as a if you hooked a trout that was on a bed with a ton of eggs in it the chances are that it is not going to make itafter you release it.

10. I'm not even going to touch the ethical issue..

But I don't think that bass will be spawning anytime soon. Bass spawn at ~60-65 degree water. Most lakes in western WA are probably in the low 50's until May.

For flies, I like flashy buggers in all shades of green, black, and red. Generally I stay pretty small in the sz 8-10 range.

11. CWU girl has it right. Here in Western Washington largemouth bass typcially spawn in May; usually during the first stable weather once the water temperatures reach the low 60s. If there are a series of storms that spawn may be delayed into the summer. The smallmouth typically spawn a couple of weeks earlier with temps in the mid-/high 50s.

Virtually all the lakes in Western Washington with public accesses now have bass (most illegally introduced). Most of the lakes have largemouth though smallmouth are becoming more common and are found in the larger/deeper lakes.

When I regularly fished bass my favorite time was the pre-spawn period when most of my really large fish were caught, especially in the 2 weeks leading up to the first spawning.

For flies I like larger bugs (I was looking for fish in the 1 to 5# range and not the dinks). Favorites included 3 to 6 inch wooley buggers (mostly in blacks, olvies and purple) and thumb size deer-hairs poppers.

An interesting report can be found at -
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/warmwtr.htm

Download the report and at its back is a list of waters by county and the warm water species found in each.

Tight lines
    curt

12. Lugan and PT- who gives a shit if we rip them off their spawning beds...if i had it my way there would be no limit and no limitations on how to do it. They are non-native and invasive competitors with our native fish and aquatic animals. Let the bloodbath begin.

13. Yea, but they're bass.

14. Wow! Tom and I actually agree :) :)

15. I was joking in my earlier post. Bass are about the toughest fish out there.

When I was younger we caught one about 4" long out of Cottage Lk. Threw it in the cooler with a bunch of ice water and took it home about 4 hours later. From there it went into an aquarium where it lived for over a year on a diet of spiders and other bugs we'd catch around the house.

I'm not going to admit to releasing it into Lk Ballinger when it was about 12" long because that would be something that nobody should ever do. You know, the whole introducing non native species arguement.

They're all yours guys. Mr. Perfect here wouldn't lower himself to bass fisherman status.;)

16. Bass are pretty tasty too I might add.:thumb:

17. Well call me Bill Dance and smack my Tennessee hat!

18. Definitely a few months untill the bass come out. They will hit nearly anything when they do. I prefer sculpin patterns fished on the bottom. I caught 5 smallies all 5lbs+ in an afternoon last spring. One fish was about 6-7 lbs 22+ inches.
    I can't wait.

19. Bass begin to feed at 40 to 50 degree wtr and will be hungry comming out of the winter.Late winter,early spring prespawn feeding frenzy is one of the best times to catch the really big females.Some of these girls can be monstrous.Bass,at that time of year are generally in very shallow wtr where the wtr is warmer.The NW part of the lake is usally the 1st to warm up the quickest.Smaller lakes and ponds warm up way faster than the big lakes.
    Use an 8 wght and I'd throw big flies at them.Like leeches,big sculpins and flesh flies of various colors.Work em real slow and hang on for your life if you hook up on a big girl cause you can get schooled real quick.Big bass are big for a reason.They are extremly smart and will do anything to get of your hook.

20. I heard the temp to start fishing for bass is 58 degrees.

I fish small poppers for them. No way to describe the slam of an angry bass on a surface lure.