Bass Tactics?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Joe Smolt, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    When fishing for bass (particularly with a surface fly), how many times will you fish the same spot?

Joe

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I don't fish the surface for them much anymore so take this for what you will..

I find big bass won't move more than 4-6 inches for a fly and are not spooked easily. So I work a dock hard as hell before I move on. Seems to me smaller LMB are pretty aggressive but big ones are lazy. I have pulled decent fish out 6 inches from where I just put 3 or 4 casts.

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

Depends. Sometimes casting out a popper and letting it sit for over a minute has resulted in my biggest bass. Slight , very slight twitch once or twice, This is after fishing the area heavily with no action

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Ribka brings up a good point loooooooong pauses even with leaches and baitfish imitations

5. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Interesting comment about lazy fish needing to hit within four to six inches. I've had the habit of hitting a fishy spot with one cast, if nothing, I move on. I hope to hear from others that share this view because it would greatly affect my approach.

How close to the dock would you go? I recently watched some gear guys practically troll at the weed bed. Couldnt have been 10 feet to the shore.

6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I will cast on the dock and pull it off into the water. Since you are right in bothell if you have a small boat let's go fish. When I get back from my trip next week I'm free for 2 weeks cept jury duty and on my lake I can show you what docks hold larger fish.

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I specialized in large reservoirs when I fished bass heavily, and I worked for a company that was trying to be the next Bass Pro Shops. I got to fish with a lot of local Pros and came to some conclusions. The ONLY advantage we have over gear guys is we can fish slower with a variety of lures. they can slowly work a worm or jig, but we can slowly work everything in the fly box. The second biggest thing is I don't spend a ton of time on a fish that may not be there. I hit the best spots I come across, and if I feel I covered them well with one cast, I move on. Obviously water clarity plays into that and there are times when that numbers moves to 3 or 5. During spring and before they go deep, I'd rather cover the entire shoreline with a dahlberg minnow on a type 2 sinking line and 4 foot leader than work like a surgeon.

8. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    My success for the bigger bass is based on a slow methodical approach. S-L-O-O-O-W is the way to go. After a while you a a sense of what spots look fishy , fish those spotsvery slowly. I cast quickly and work the fly faster when moving between fishy spots ( largemouth like wood, reeds and lily pads) I thinks its true that the big brutes will stare at a fly for a long time before inhaling it. It my belief that alot of gear guys fish their baits way too fast. Those spin and bait cast reels pull the line in very quickly and its tempting to just chug the lure back to cast again.

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Have to agree with everybody... slow is the way. Before I got bitten by the fly bug, I lived for bucketmouths in the cranberry bog ponds in Massachusetts. The best, most consistent action I had was unweighted, soft plastics, suspending or otherwise. 75% of my strikes came after the initial cast and just letting the lure sink and creep down slowly. Same with top water, I never had any luck burning buzz baits, or spinnerbaits, but a weedless frog or popper just barely dragged off of a lily pad and left there for what seemed like an eternity was money in the bank.

10. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

The bass are up and running big time today after the warm weekend and with it being nice and over cast today. 3" streamer dressed like a rainbow was the ticket. 10-12 fish to hand, another 6 or 7 lost on the way in and a couple of big ass yellow perch on top.

Quick 6" strips with long(10 second) pauses in between.

Also make sure to fish all the way to the boat, i had 2 or 3 takes today where i dragged the fly along the boat to make sure it wasnt fouled just to watch a fish follow it, let it sit if you see it, twitch it once then hang on.

11. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

After rereading this thread and your posts I will expand cause i also watch the gear guys drive right up into the weeds to start casting and it always confused me.

For pads and reeds I set up a good 30+ feet away and cast into them or at the edge and strip out. I have never had any luck stripping parallel to vegetation, maybe other have since I have seen a number of gear guys do it?

I use a 15' sink tip(Rio Streamer line), after casting i strip in to get the line tight but try not to move the fly as it sinks. After 5-10 seconds i twitch it a couple times then make my first strip, long pause, repeat, fish it all the way to the boat.

For docks or downed trees I do the same thing but after 5-6 strips I pick it up and put it back down at the dock, I dont know why maybe I am just impatient but from what I have seen a fish under heavy structure will hit it right away and arent likely to follow it out.

All my bass on a fly experience is from one lake so take it for what you will, for all I know this stuff will never work anywhere else :rofl:

12. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    could this be the same way on trout? where you would cast to the same spot several times before finally getting a hit??

Spencer