Bass under the dock at Ballinger

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Rory McMahon, Apr 11, 2007.

1. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

The mercury is not coming from runoff in most cases. Coal fired power plant emissions are distributing it globally via the atmosphere. China is turning on a new coal fired power plant EVERY THREE DAYS to give you a picture of where we are headed. We don't just get cheaper goods from our explotation of low wage chinese labor. These are not the newer much cleaner type power plants. This is why there is mercury in the lakes in The Northwest Territories for example. It is also why as far as mercury goes the warning is statewide. Of course some water has other toxic elements which just add to the problem. Lower Yakima would be an example. Ever notice that pretty jet black purplish sand on some shores at Banks Lake or on the upper Columbia? That's coming from our friends north of the border and it ain't sand....
    It's an interesting game we humans play with ourselves. We spend untold fortunes to solve diseases. We spend tons of money on medications to try to maintain quality of life. Yet we continue to create things that cause these problems in the first place. Reminds me of dog chasing his tail sometimes.

2. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I Still have relatives on the lake and it's not man made. The cray fish can nip your toes once in a while.

Daryle

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Hay Daryle, The lake IS man made. It was made as a mill pond for the lumber-mill that was were the public golf-coarse is now. The island, made from stumps. There is even a old roadbed going across the middle of the lake from East to West.

My wife grew up in the old Judge Ballinger house, Hence the name of the lake. After the mill cleared the area, he bought the land and turned the mills bunkhouse into his family home. The house that use to set out on the island. He built (rumor has it) was for his Mistress. It had a foot bridge going to it.

The Lawrence's bought the house in the mid 60's and over the years, did research the background.
    Jeff

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I haven't so much as seen a fish in Ballinger

5. RonnyBadd

RonnyBadd Fly Fisher

I grew up near Ballinger. Used to fish it every night after school for bass. I would nock em dead with fly poppers. Every once in a while I will go back for old times sake. I never catch anything anymore. Well stocker trout but never bass. Something changed at Ballinger since I was a kid.