Batson Fly RX7 help with components

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by journeyman, May 5, 2006.

1. journeyman

journeyman New Member

Ok....... I am driving myself crazy. I have the Batson RX7 9 foot #4wt fly blank in the gloss green and have to come to some conclusions here on how I want to build this one. This is a rod for myself and I want it to be a little different.

Firstly, I want to use a cigar grip and I’d prefer the aluminum reelseat.

My questions:

To build the cigar grip do I have to use a downlocking version of a seat? Or can I use an uplocking seat with the cigar? I assume I’d need to build my own cigar grip from rings?

How this rod looks is important to me, for those that have built this rod, would you use the black reelseat & guides or recommend the chrome/silver reelseat. What looks best with this blank?

Please help me get going in the right direction. Thanks.

jman

2. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    I used the chrome reel seat and snake guides and it looks great. Not sure, but I think you could find a cigar grip as well, unless you just want the quality control and craftsmanship that comes with doing one out of rings.

3. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

Home Page:
    There are a couple different designs of uplocking that you could use. One has an underhood fitting for the reel seat. That might be a bit harder to incorporate into your cigar handle. The other has a band glued on which would go after the cigar handle. That would be easiest. maybe you could take your rod to a shop with different handle colors and slip a pre-made grip on with a rel seat of dissereent colors to see what you like. I mean really, regardless of color both will work just as well but the color is a totally individual preference. I really think that you could get a good idea of what you want by just silipping on the components even if you don't end up using them and even if they don't really fit.
    martin

4. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I built a 4wt St. Croix with a cigar grip, and it's one of my favorites. I used a REC nickle/silver set of hardware and turned both the grip and insert myself. The Batson would do well to have some nice hardware...IMHO.

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
  6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Cigar grips are available all over. In order to do it right you'll probably have to purchase a non-recessed style reel seat. If you want to make a cigar grip recessed you can easily use a dremel, but you'll have to check tolerences on the grip to see if it will accept the recess portion of it.

As for color, you really can't go wrong with the good ol' chrome action. That and satisfactory thread choice will go a long way to making it look good. Black and black would be fine, but expect to spend a bit more time looking for the correct thread match....

With all of that said though, I'd personally purchase 2 size 3 guides one in black and one in chrome. Wrap them in on the butt section of the rod were the handle/grip will go and see if you like it. If you don't plan on using color preserver, you can see how they will look with epoxy by using a touch of corn oil. If you do decide to do that, make sure you clean the surface *really* well afterwards, or you may have issues with glue adhesion.

-- Cheers
    -- James