battery life

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by denisr, May 2, 2014.

1. denisr

denisr Member

I have a 7 ft. Wilderness (Costco) pontoon boat with a Minn Kota (the smallest) electric motor and a AC Delco marine battery that gives me something in the area of 3 hours of life if I am trolling flies steadily. A few months ago I started fishing for Sammamish cutthroat and had some success trolling baitfish patterns. The problem is that by the time I have put-put from the boat launch to the Sammamish weather station, the lake's best cutthroat trout area, I get about an hours worth of fishing before I have to turn back or get stranded in the middle of the lake a with my luck I'm upwind from the launch. Rowing back in a pontoon which I had to do once, is not an experience I want to repeat. But I'm also now hooked (sorry!) on the cutthroat in lake Sammamish.

I've thinking about getting a bigger battery with a longer running life but hopefully one that doesn't weigh too much for a pontoon boat. The numbers on my battery (690 MCA,550LCA, 140 RC and 86 AH) unfortunately are meaningless to me and have not been not well explained at the auto parts stores I've visited.

Anyone have any useful advice.

Denisr

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    AH is amp hours and that the one you're concerned with. It's how much energy you can store in your battery. At one amp you can run for 86 hours, but the discharge rate goes up on a steep curve so that way you only get the three hours at cruise speed. You can get batteries with a higher AH, but 86 isn't too bad. Two 6 volt golf cart batteries will probably double or triple your range.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I ran two inboard electric powered boats for many years. During that period I spent many hours graphing battery usage curves, and listening to the guys who designed the systems. Still, I'm sure that any DC power tech will be able to explain it way better than I could. There are formulas that you can apply to your submersible motor that will extrapolate amp draw from thrust.

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I would take a guess and say the battery is nearing the end of its life. I have a similar battery thats one year old and i get a full day of fishing( 6-10 hours) each trip and have never had an issue.

4. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

5. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Get a 30 watt solar panel and a small jumper battery.