Battle bugs in the canyon

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +148 / 0
    Here's a fish story for you.

When I drove to the Yakima canyon today there were BWO's already flying around in the pullout. I tumbled down to the bank and was standing there getting tied up and I noticed those big ants with the orange head and thorax and the black abdomen were out now. But then I noticed that they have climbed into my fly box and three were carrying off a BWO cripple. Like most government projects, one was pulling the wrong way, but they had the fly out of the box and up the bank when I wrestled it away from them. I was thinking that means the cripple is the right fly for the day. Unless it's an orange and black ant.
  2. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Wow what a story. Hellofan imagination there. I got one for ya you'll
    think is a fabrication too, but it's ALL true.
    I was on Blue in the Sinlahekin. The big fish were viseable crusing the weedlines. Hundreds of egg laying Damsels were flying 2" off the
    water and dipping to lay eggs. I had just invented a new Adult Damsel pattern. Well, bad news, they ignored it for 2 hours straight while dozens of appearently Male Damsels landed on my fly and tried to mate
    with it.
    It seemed they were only interested in taking a whack if the fly was
    hovering 2" off the water. Some sort of dam game I guess as most times
    they missed.
    I switched to a chironomid a foot under an indicator and got a few to
    bite, but they were interested mostly in chasing Damsels.
  3. Coho Member

West of the Whistling Buoy
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Rowdy Damsels and tight lipped trout

Hey FishnFella:

Here is an idea for you next time that happens... Tie a very long piece of thick yarn, or some other wind attracting type of material several feet above your damsel. The goal is to get your fly to lift off and hover above the water from the effects of the wind pulling on the yarn.

Trout and bass will often go completely nuts trying to catch your windborne fly. It puts a whole new perspective on a "drag free" presentation.