BC Steelhead Squamish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Anybody ever fish the Squamish by whistler? Thinking about making a trip up north during my spring break in march. Looking at some websites and looks like a later run of fish returning in late feb through may. I have driven by the river alot going to whistler, but never been able to fish it. Any info would be great.
    It's either that or continue farther north on a road trip to the Skeena that could be fun.

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey...I've got a great picture of you...do the words "cinnamon challenge" ring a bell?

Anyway, I've only fished the Squamish a time or two, what a pretty place. I hadn't been through Squamish for a few years, it's really growing. I knew I should have bought property there a few years back...:beathead:

3. Ringlee

Media:
    I swear I still have a little sniffle from that! Send that picture my way. That is a very beautiful place with the mountains right there. Some beautiful sights up there and catching a fish would only be a bonus!

4. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll need to get the slide scanned but you can clearly see the red "dragon puff of doom" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I couldn't be happier with the photo!

5. Ringlee

Media:
    One of the most painful moments of my life so far!

6. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Did you check out www.whistlerflyfishing.com? I called them before my trip up there last Feb and they gave some great advice. We ended up fishing the Cheakamus (flows into the Squamish) and had a great time. I posted a trip report about last year it if you are interested. When we were there, they said it was just a little too early for Steelhead, but my friend caught a nice one. I think I remember them saying late Feb-March would be much better for Steel.

I have heard the Squamish is supposed to be really good for Steelhead and Salmon. I'm not positive, but I think all their rivers in that area are catch and release, so that's probably why.

7. Ringlee

Media:
    Checked that site out and shot them an email. My spring break is the middle of march and I think it should be pretty good up there. I will look at your report.
    Thanks
    Chris

8. Ringlee

Media:
    Diehard, good report. Those pics make me want to go up there for sure!

9. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ringlee,

would highly reccomend going to whistler during martin luther king weekend, a.k.a. college weekend. you might have to try pretty hard to fish though.

10. Ringlee

Media:
    Ive heard its cool up there then, But I will be back at school then in North Dakota. So I can graduate.

11. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    I have fished the Squamish with Brian Nishka, owner of Whistler Fly Shop. Brian is a great fisherman, guide and is a fine spey rod fisherman. The Squamish is a wonderful river. I have gone up near the headwaters on several spring break fishing trips and waded over 3' of snow to access the river. I have caught lots of nice bull trout in the river but have not had luck with steel. Three years ago I landed a 20# steelhead on the Cheakamus. Be sure and check with Brian because I heard a rail tanker car derailed and spilled thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals in the Cheak, resulting in a massive fish kill that was expected to hurt the watershed for years. If there are fish in the system, I would fish the Cheakamus. Brian has a great selection of steelhead flies as well. I would strongly recommend supporting his shop while you are up there.
    Good fishing, Steve

12. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    We found a net 1" under the surface on the Squamish spanning the whole river. When I went to cut it... lights out. Be careful. Them ass*** take their poaching seriously.

13. Ringlee

Media:
    I contacted whistler fly shop and I am waiting for a response. I heard about the rail accident and that is a real bummer! Hopefully the river isn't ruined.
    Probably going to go on a trip with the guides from whistler fly shop for a day or 2 and fish it one day with just my dad and I.

Monk, you report that poaching?

14. NorthernExposure

NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Media:
    Well this news should make everyone in washington feel better about themselves. The initial spill killed 95 percent of the fish in the Cheakamus river ( a conversative estimate) according to one biologist. The Cheakamus River is the home to the largest steelhead in the Squamish system (apparently during its heyday produced frequent fish over 20lbs). While the mainstem Squamish is beautiful fly water, it is home to a run of smaller steelhead (avg 5-11 lbs) while the cheakamus river has historically held more and larger fish. It was the cheakamus into which 40,000 liters (app 10000 gallons) of sodium hydroxide were dumped. it has been estimated that the steelhead smolts resident in the river were among the most affected by the fish (them and the sculpins). I prefer(ed) to fish the cheakamus.

The Squamish, however does hold steelhead, but not as many as the Cheak. It was unaffected by the spill, as the derailment happened in the Cheakamus Canyon. However, the rainbows and dolly varden that are migratory in the system (meaning moving between the tributaries) have been decimated. Normally by this time of year, your average fisherman would be getting at least a few dollies on every outing (as they are gorging on chum flesh and eggs), but recent reports have indicated NADA.

The worst part of it all is that the only financial compensation given from CN rail due to the spill, was a meager 250,000 dollars CDN. Well below the annual salary of most of its upper level employees. The most depressing part of it all is that additional trains have derailed since (making 4 derailments on the cheakamus in total) without any further financial compensation. Local guide businesses have been crippled by this tragedy, yet CN gets off with a mere slap on the wrist of 250,000 dollars? The public is outraged, but government seems to be doing little in response...

15. NorthernExposure

Media:
    There are other rivers in the whistler area that fish well in the winter. Do a float down the lillooet with Kevin Kish. It requires a lot of local knowledge to get it down just right, but you have a better chance of catching a chromer winter spring salmon (canuck for King) there than anywhere in Washington. Also lots of dollies and cutthroat. Kevin has been guiding in whistler for 10 years, longer than anyone i know of. Trust me, i've lived in whistler, done a bit of guiding there, and fished there for ages, and you will not meet a better guide than Kevin.

ask for kevin @
    1-888-932-3532 or

Whistler River Adventures
    Box 202, Whistler, BC V0N 1B0
    Tel: 604-932-3532
    Fax: 604-932-3559

16. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Wow, I had no idea that spill was so devastating. That is sad, I love that river.

17. Ringlee

Media:
    How long ago was the spill?

18. NorthernExposure

Media:
    The first spill happened in july. the three other trainwrecks have happened about about once a month since.

19. Ringlee

Media:
    Damn, what the hell are they doing up there!?!

20. Ringlee

Media:
    It's on tracks. Can't really go to many directions.