NFR (BCS) Bull Crap Series

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by generic, Jan 7, 2013.

1. generic

generic Active Member

What the #@%*! was that on ESPN tonight? I don't care who you are...that was just wrong. How did a "computer" put those two teams together in a championship game?

And how was the #2 favored over the #1 team? Shouldn't that be a sign that something might be wrong with the system?

Geez-O-Pete If you were a Notre Dame fan... OUCH!

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Aw, come on now. I thought it was cool that they let a high school team get all that exposure and publicity by playing Alabama on national TV.

Eff the NCAA, eff the 500 lame bowl games, and eff the BCS.

3. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Been an Alabama fan for over 25 years and that was still sad to watch......so many things wrong with the way teams are matched up in college football.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Irish fan for life, Cubs fan too. Brutal. Glad they got some national recognition leading up to this game, for the first time in a long time. Just sounded embarassing (radio).

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I felt the Irish deserved to be in the national championship!
    Kansas and Oregon would of been next up for a shot and we all saw what Oregon did to Kansas. Stanford beat Oregon and the Irish beat Stanford and went undefeated. like it or not they deserved to be there in my opinion.

Besides there was no way Bama wanted to play Oregon, they had been whining about the no huddle all year and the changing of college football offence's. like the announcers were saying up until the game, Oregon was number 2 in the nation but screwed themselves with the Stanford loss. It should of been Oregon and Bama but keeping the Irish out would of been a crime.

And the #3 team flopped big time - way over rated.

6. generic

generic Active Member

Now that there, is spoken from a true sports fan gentlemen. Most guys would gloat over a victory like that, good on you - (I hope that makes sense). Nothing wrong with having a great victory on the biggest stage, but this Bull Crap Series has GOT to go. Next year is "suppose" to be an 'And One', meaning there will be a two game playoff, but it is still going to up to the BCS to pick the top 4 teams....again, a joke.

Ed, I am not even close to being a ND fan, but I told my buddy who is (after Kelly took over) that ND would be right up there in the top 3 in 3 yrs. Just didn't think it would be the championship - but good on them for going 11-0. The only undefeated team after the regular season. No offense, but I watched almost every game they played, and didn't feel like they should be in that game. Not that they didn't deserve it...but that's the "sticky/silly BCS part of the equation. How do you keep them out, yet if you look at who they played throughout the year, who they beat and how they beat them, it just didn't add up with me. Texas A&M was the only loss Alabama had (in Alabama), and they looked like a pro team in there bowl game.

P.S. It was absolutely painful to watch. What a shame to end your year that way, after accomplishing so much. I hope for them that it won't carry over to next year. But then again, sometimes that can be fuel fore the fire.

In the end, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I think it's good for college football that ND is back. Just like it would be great for baseball if the Cubs would ever make it back.

7. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    If that damn Pitt kicker wouldn't have missed that chippy from straight on earlier in the season, this calamity would have never taken place....

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I think it would have been a much more interesting game to watch if Oregon was playing Alabama. The hurry up offense adds a new dimension to college football. But, they blew it and lost to Stanford so that's the way it goes.

9. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

I'm certainly not a BCS system fan, but the NFL doesn't eliminate blowouts either. Partial list:

Super Bowl XXXVIII
    Buccaneers 48 Raiders 21
    Margin of victory - 27

Super Bowl XXXV
    Ravens 34 Giants 7
    Margin of victory 27

Super Bowl XXIV
    SanFrancisco 49ers 55 Broncos 10
    Margin of Victory - 45 points

Super Bowl XX
    Bears 46 Patriots 10
    Margin of Victory - 36 points

Super Bowl XXVII
    Cowboys 52 Buffalo Bills 17
    Margin of Victory - 35 points

Super Bowl XXII
    Redskins 42 Broncos 10
    Margin of Victory – 32

It seems that, different from many sports, football has so few games (comparatively) in a season that a team's chance to be in the final pairing is very subject to a one-game misfire.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    The difference to me, at least, is that those NFL teams had to work their way through the playoffs to get there. That counts for a lot. Being picked by a computer or voted by highly biased coaches or journalists means very little to me.

Skysoldier likes this.
  11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    It ok to me. ND deserved to be in that game because they did everything they could do, win every regular season game they played. Now if they were actually in a conference and had to play the additional conference championship game as well as not beating up on the military schools things might be different.

Its all moot as next year we will see a 4 team playoff and within the next 10 years we will likely see four 16 team conferences and a 8 team playoff system which is about as good of a system as I can think of for college football in its current state.

12. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

Yes, at least the trend is toward improvement. There's so much money at stake in college football that the outcry against the BCS method of selection is being heard under pain of lost revenue: certainly at risk if fans lose interest as a result of the flawed system.

13. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    The only people that are worried about losing revenue are the prestige bowls (Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar) as they will no longer be the "main games" when there are 7 playoff games in total. In whole, I fully expect college football revenue to go up as playoffs are added.

But yes, money does rule all things NCAA division I football and NCAA men's basketball.

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I'll be very happy if we can go another 20+ years without ND being in the title game again.

Bruce Baker likes this.
  15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Don't hold back, say how you really feel.. :D

16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I quit watching football at any level a long time ago. The NFL should call itself the National Flagball league and the colleges are only in it for the money. High school ball was still good but now everyone is so worried Johnny will get a concusion even that isn't much good anymore.

17. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

You hit the nail on the head Josh.

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Believe me Gene....I was holding back. ;)
    No love for the Golden Domers from me. I was happy to see them get drubbed badly.

Bruce Baker likes this.
  19. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Must be winter.

20. dfl

dfl Active Member

Who in their right mind gives a hoot?