Beach access limited at BP?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sourdoughs, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Was out fishing at BP last Friday (8/12) and a Pierce county sherrif talked with us about fishing the beach stretch. There were complaints, and whoever called claimed to have full beach ownership, so we were trespassing. Did the same thing happen on Sat/Sun?

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Check previous threads on beach access. This is a really old topic. Those people own the beach and can limit access. I have the same rights at Dash Point but choose to not create a problem as long as users are respectful.

3. Sourdoughs

Media:
    Thanks, Stever. I've read the Pink threads from this year, and in the years past the law enforcement hasn't come out. I'm wondering specifically if an officer was out there on Sat/Sun taking with people.

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    is it posted no tresspassing?

5. Sourdoughs

Media:
    Some of the buildings near the bulkheads have signs in them - "Private Beach - no trespassing", and the one lady mentioned above has now put up a rope. In the past there hasn't been an issue crossing that property to other property down the beach (where I've had permission to fish). So, yes, in a couple of places.

6. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Just one person that I know of is making all of the stink. They just bought their house a year or two ago, and they don't understand the local culture - Used to be that anyone was welcome to walk across the beaches down there, and most owners still have that attitude. The Humpy frenzy tests the limits of that hospitality with the early wake-ups, garbage, and FU attitudes many of the fishermen have. Technically, the light house park and the dead end road are the only publically owned beaches between BP and DP. Looks like it may all come to a head, and the outcome could affect everyone who enjoys the privilege of walking those beaches.

7. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    I was out there on my 'yak this past Sunday and the same thing happened. Everyone happily fishing, and the Sheriff rolled up at around 8am to push everyone out to the point past the yellow house. He was there all day until I left at 230. I can't complain as I basically got the beach to myself, but seemed a bit ridiculous.

8. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Property line is extreme low tide at BP according to police officer. Property owners have the right to not have trespassers, regardless of whether you think its a good place to fish. I was politely asked to leave their beach last friday and see no reason to complain. I wouldn't want buzz bombers on my property.

9. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Was in my kayak heading in from fishing. Sheriff had just been down clearing the beach out. The boats were very happy to have more water close in to fish and one boater made comment that he hopes they clear out the beach even more. Talked to the sheriff on my way out while carrying my kayak. Seemed like a nice guy just trying to keep the peace. He was talking to a fisherman and was saying he only seen fly fishermen catching any fish and telling the person if he wanted to catch fish he better take up a fly rod.
    did not have long to talk since I was on my way to change my clothes and clean up for a funeral which is why I was leaving the water by 12 noon on my day of vacation.
    Sunday found the cops in another location launch point with total parking for 3 cars. The rest were asked to move their cars out. Was told I could not park down there or I would be cited. Lauched there and parked truck about 1 mile up the road where it was legal. Sad part was by time I got back down to the water the parking was open again. Figured I would leave the spots for someone else since it was just as much walking to go get the truck then as later.

10. avs16win

avs16win Member

The Sheriff was there on Sunday and he was super cool. Telling people they couldn't pass through there to fish but they could launch boats. He left at about 5 or so and the place BLEW UP. People coming in droves. What a scene.

11. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Agree, Sheriff was super cool...I took pity on him for having to bear bad news to everyone all day. And I guess I should thank him for not ticketing my car!

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Someone needs to take the Washington tidewater access issue to the highest court.

13. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

But fly fishers are OK? Not sure I understand that attitude.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

You don't understand the WE are better than THEM? It's in the Bible. Thou shalt not toss hardware. Very simple.

Haysoos did not need any type of fishing gear. The fish just jumped on shore filleted and cooked. The People could then simply eat. That's how I roll.

;)

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:

I actually fish buzz bombs from time to time, and with my daughter interested in angling I can only see myself spending more time fishing gear in the future, and funny enough ten8o fishes gear even more often than I do.

With that said, you let me know when you find a couple of flyfisherman tresspassing, being disrespectful and whooping it up at 0 dark 30, smoking gpc's or some other stinky shit (never the good smelling stuff eh?) leaving garbage around, and just generally acting like fuckheads, and I'll then give some merit to your inability to understand a common and well earned title of 'gear fishing asshats.'

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I shall answer this challenge by asking you to visit washingtonflyfishing.com/board

[​IMG]

17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I saw the very same situation when I rented a beach house on port susan . The crowd would come the cops were called and tickets were cited. After a few days the cops became tired of the whole game and quit coming then the fish moved on and so did the circus. That said I always looked forward to the whole thing I'd sit on my deck and have a few beers watching the rich landowners freak out,Nevermind that none of them ever ventured out on the beach but god help the general public that showed up to enjoy the public access. Of course in the winter when they needed people to help sandbag the bulkheads from high tides & flood water the public was totaly expected to come down and help save their precious house.

18. knotabassturd

knotabassturd New Member

True Evan, but flyfishers are snobs in general so it is OK :)

What I hate is when one gear newbie guy next to me hooks and lands a fish, starts calling everyone, then ten minutes later a dozen people not knowing what they're doing, what the regs are, etc show up piling in next to them (and me) to try and catch a fish.
    Never happens with fly guys and gals. Happens sometimes (rarely thankfully although in pink season it is high season for it) with gear guys.
    With that bad stuff said, MANY gear guys obviously are extremely talented with their fishing capabilities and do a ton of fishing, follow the regs as they should, etc.
    It's just that there is a small contingent of them during pink season that break out the 5/0 barbed hook and brand new $15 combo rod (uh, I mean 'pole')/reel with the plastic wrap still on the cork base and proceed to call everyone they know to come on down if they actually catch a pink.

19. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Media:
    The major issue aside from trespassing is the amount of trash being left behind on people's property. None of us would want that on our property and I'm sure these people don't either. Seems like a typical case of a few people ruining it for everyone else... Unfortunately this fishery has become extremely popular and its almost impossible to find a quiet place to fish anymore.

On a side note, I saw a fly guy yesterday drag a fish to shore (on private property), bonk it and run back into the water without recording it to get back to the pod cruising by.

20. knotabassturd

knotabassturd New Member

PS- on the land thing if someone owns the land and tidal area then who am I to tell them I can use their property if they don't want me to? There are other areas to fish.