Beach access question....

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bradley Miller, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tony James

Tony James Member

Hi Brad,

Good question my man . . . I've solved two issues with my kayak! I launch it right there in Hoodsport (by the dive shop - public) and paddle myself over to the hatchery (5 minutes). Of course, I love to walk the beach with waders and a stripping basket, but that pales in comparison to getting out in my yak and chasing the finny one; away from the buzz bombers, positioned with the wind at my back, rockin with the waves, etc., etc. You will love it - the feeling of being free from the beach is absolutely amazing!

Pat Lat likes this.
  2. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Funny you should mention that........
    I have kayaked a little, and I like it alot. I never really associated kayaking with fishing though......big mistake, I think. On my 'list' of things I want to do (SOON) is to pick up a pontoon boat. So my question to you is: if you can kayak in hood canal, can you pontoon boat as well? Or is that foolish? Obviously, I'm not much of a boater, but I have kayaked for a couple of days in the Strait (near Salt Creek....I wonder if there are cutthroat there by the way.......) and across Ozette and even a little out of Neah Bay (I was with friends who are pros). Pontoon boats are relatively cheap; not so much with kayaks. Thoughts? Thanks, by the way! :)

3. Tony James

Tony James Member

Hi Brad,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - been chasing the franklins. If you launch a pontoon boat, you'll have lot's of company - plenty of guys do it. Those schools of chum move around a bit, so having the ability to move off shore and around with them makes the chase even more exciting. I've never had to say the fish were out of range when I'm on the water with them. obviously the wind can be a factor, probably not a bad idea to plan a little anchor management. it's not too deep there and the schools patrol around the bouys quite a bit - once you get there and scout the jumpers and the surface activity you'll be able to plan what you want to do.

Attached Files:

4. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Well, I'll chime in here.
    There are lots of public beaches in South Puget Sound and Hood Canal, and previous posters have shared good information on how to find those beaches. Truth is, it's hard to find a bad beach for sea-run cutts -- if you take the time to learn how each beach fishes during different tidal stages. Some beaches fish better when the tide is falling, while some fish better when the tide is rising. Some fish well on both tides. Learning beaches is a lot of fun.

I do 90 percent of my fishing on public beaches. A boat or kayak solves all access problems, although you've got to watch the tides carefully, as it's hard to paddle back to the car over a mud flat. A tide table is a must. I think beach anglers do have some advantages over boaters, mostly in that you can position yourself to fish rips and dropoffs from different angles, and you can fish rips that are close to the beach easier. I love fishing from a boat, but I prefer standing on the beach.

As for access to private beaches, it never hurts to ask the property owner for permission. Many owners welcome fly anglers, and it always helps to say you won't leave anything behind but footprints. It's a good idea to give the property owner a little present from time to time, such as a restaurant gift certificate or even a few bottles of beer.

In any case, welcome to our weird, wonderful world!