Beach casting platform?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Luke Filmer, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Luke Filmer Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Not that it is really needed but do people actually use what appears to be an aluminum step ladder type platform to get more distance?
    http://www.yankeeangler.com/imageGFC.JPG

Not sure if I would ever use one but it looks like you could really gain an advantage here for beach fishing.
  2. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I've seen people use milk crates to stand on at a few local beaches.
  3. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +488 / 0
    I have seen pictures where they stand on step ladders...Lake Pyramid, NV ...I believe was the lake.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    A few years ago it was quite common for local beach anglers to carry along a plastic milk crate to stand on while casting. A plastic bottle on a cord functioned as a buoy, enabling the angler to keep track of the crate and to retrieve it without having to fish around for it. I haven't seen anyone using this dodge in a while. I do recall seeing a video of some east coast striped bass anglers using step ladders as casting platforms and I believe they are used at Nevada's Pyramid Lake.

My first thought is that carrying a step ladder up and down the beach would be a big pain in the ass, especially since most of our beach fishing involves covering quite a few miles in the course of a day's fishing. Schools of resident coho, in particular, frequently move rather quickly up and down the beaches in pursuit of moving bait and I can only imagine that a step ladder would a greater impediment than any advantage it might offer.
  5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Those striper anglers are fishing HUGE flats. It's more about spotting than distance casting, and often only the guide is up high, and doing his best not to move and alert the fish.

Being a Pyramid vet, for me the appeal of the ladder was often getting more of my body out of the frigid water in the cold conditions I usually fished pyramid. After all, most hits came at the ledges, and you could get close enough to them to not need to cast over 100'.

As to doing it here? I fish the beach for relaxation and escape. Hauling stuff around seems too much like work...
  6. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Definitely a potential for high entertainment value when the freighter waves hit shore.
  7. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    iagree That would be some funny chit man!:rofl:
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    :rofl: Too funny! Can you just see someone running down the beach with a step ladder and fly rod in hand in their Orvis outfit? Cracks me up..
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Some of the flosser / snagger patrol were using ladders for King fishing this year on the Skok. They have the "spot, floss and snag" techique down to a science.