Beach Fishing Bainbridge, Kitsap and the Hood canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jered, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Dear WFF community,

I think this is the next step in my process of learning...

So far:

Spring 2012. Jimmy set my wife and me up with a new rod, some used waders, a handful of flies and Les' book. We hit up a few beaches and landed one beautiful Cutthroat.

Spring and Summer 2013. Richard Stolls book, more beaches, more flies, Richard's class, a couple more beaches... no more fish landed...I did have something of size break off my fly on Sunday.

I understand that beach fishing in the Puget Sound for Cuts and Salmon takes years to do well. This is something I want to learn and am willing to invest the time into. I'm not asking for "secret spots" or "full proof methods."

What I am asking: I think I could benefit a lot by getting to fish with some people who do know how to fish our local beaches. If you're one of those people and you have room for one more I'd like to get to know some of the people on this forum and improve my fishing.

I grew up fly fishing in Nevada and Northern California. My casting isn't pretty but it gets it out there. I live on Bainbridge so I'm particularly interested in areas on this side of the Sound.

The first round is on me...and the second too.

Cheers,

Jered

2. Hey Jered. I am relatively new to beach fishing as well and last year was the first year where I really hit it hard and things started to "click" for me. I have met a bunch of great guys on the local beaches that are always willing to give advise, reports, fly patterns, etc.

My suggestion to you is to just start fishing and it will happen naturally. I would recommend PNP as it's close and will have (on average) the best chances of consistent fishing for salmon. There's also the best chance of spying on and/or meeting some of the local beach wizards. Watch/talk/and learn!

Here's some basics on how to spot the ones you want to talk to: They will have a stripping basket, they will be casting at least 60ft consistently, they will look like they know what they're doing, and there's a good chance they will have a fish on the beach. :cool: If you're there on a Saturady/Sunday/Monday morning from now until early October there's a good chance I'll see you there.

3. Ed Call likes this.
  4. Thank you, I like that. I think it's too easy to get consumed with books, message boards, websites and gear. At the end of the day I just need to fish more.

Another question for the group. The thought of walking up to a beach like PNP without a stripping basket and my ugly cast, getting looks form the gear slingers is somewhat reminiscent of my first day of middle school. Any suggestions for how not to look like an idiot? Damn I hated Middle school.

I'll be there before dawn on Friday.

Thanks again.

5. Forget about what you look like. Nobody is looking at you nor do they give a damn. Just fish.

Leland.

TeenyBigs, flybill, Ed Call and 3 others like this.
  6. SF,

Thanks for the link. I certainly haven't found that in a book or at a local shop!

7. Nobody cares what you or your cast looks like as long as you dont hook them, just watch your back cast. If you have a longhandle net you can tuck it into your wading belt and you can use that as a stripping basket.

And dont be scared of the gear guys they are just as friendly as the fly guys.

Ed Call likes this.
  8. Point taken. I think I typed that incorrectly. I was wondering more about etiquette on a beach with a sh@t load of people. I've never fished like that. How close do you stand? Do you move around? Things of that nature. I'm sure I'll just figure it out when I show up. And if I stand too close I'll probably hear about it.

9. If you are worried about "getting looks from the gear slingers," then there is no hope for you. Just stay home and play video games. You'll be safe there.:rolleyes:

10. Stand away from the big groups, so if you can imagine 20 guys standing shoulder to shoulder throwing half ounce buzz bombs on a point it freaks the fish out and they will actually go around them. If you are 50 or 60 yards down the beach you will be right there to catch them as they come back to hugging the beach.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  11. Just look and see how far apart most people are spread out. Really it's up to your comfort and skill level along with the guys next to you. When you're starting out just stay to the edges where it's not as busy. Also go get a stripping basket whether it's homemade or bought...it's about as necessary as a rod and reel.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  12. Thanks Kcahill, that's helpful. I'm still waiting for that killer beach fishing video game...

13. One way to get around it is to get there before everyone else does. Or find some place that isn't crowded. Or get a boat. Fish mid-week. Lie to your boss if you must.

As for myself, I do not fish any of those crowded beaches, so I can't offer any constructive advice. I personally hate crowds and mob scenes, and avoid them. I find other places or fisheries that exist outside of the media focus. If a spot is being pumped in the media, then the herd will show up there. Sometimes you think you have a decent plan to get around the crowd, and then it gets torpedoed.
    I purposely did not take my fishing yak up to the rain shadow area this weekend so that I would not be tempted to launch and fish off the pilings where staging coho are known to stack up in Quilcene Bay. I was going to do so, but just before I left, I read an outdoors column in the Peninsula Daily News wherein the outdoor writer recommended that very same spot as a place for kayaks and small boats to go try for a staging hatchery Coho. The fishery is no secret, and it wasn't a secret before that column, but a fresh news release is like turning on the faucet. I muttered "Aw, sh*t!" and changed my plans.

The beaches up where I like to fish for searun cutts in that area were experiencing lousy tide exhanges too late in the day, so that was out.
    I tried to avoid the pink plague, too, and took a hike. Went up the wrong river. The upper watershed I hiked back into was over run with the spawning humped beasts. All the trout seemed to be in hiding. One large pool was almost solid humpies. They were everywhere in that river. If it seems like there aren't many humpies around, then that must be where they went. Upstream already.

However I did discover a good burger joint on the way home.

Kcahill likes this.
  14. If you fish the same beach enough times especially during weekdays, you'll see patterns in regards to the folks fishing gear.
    The same people will be there nearly every day. They are generally older local guys who are retired. One thing you'll begin to notice is they catch a ton of fish. These aren't the people that show up for a month every two years because they heard somebody caught a humpy somewhere.

Those are the guys you want to chat up. They can give you great info on how the fishing has been and are great folks to talk to. A lot of people miss that opportunity because they look down on people that gear fish. Their lose, your gain.
    SF

15. Books, Magazines, websites, forums and blogs all have their place in the learning curve of an angler. But there is absolutely nothing that can take the place of your time spent on the water. Pick just a few beaches, maybe two or three to begin with, not far from your home- and get to know them. Walk them and fish on them at every stage of tide, no matter what anyone else tells you about it. Explore the lowest low tides, and slack tides, and all of the incoming and outgoing tides. Do this often. And you don't have to have a fishing rod in your hand every time that you do this. Going without a rod will almost guarantee that you will see fish feeding within casting distance. Notice the marine life on the near shore areas, pay attention to any insects you may see; hoppers, moths, bees, ants, termites, beetles etc. And use dry flies that imitate the insects that you observe. Learn about the forage species on your beaches, especially sandlance, sculpin, herring, surf smelt, sardines, shrimp, amphipods, euphasids etc. Become an amateur Naturalist and student of your home waters. Yes, it does take some time to get into it all. But if you keep it fun and interesting it will not be work, it will be renewal. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

16. Bob speaks the truth, I was lucky enough to fish with him last weekend and learned quite a bit. I normally get into a fish or two when I hit the beaches but with Bob I learned WHY I found fish when and where I did. I also learned a whole bunch about fly size and "matching the hatch" in the salt, I am not a big fly changing person and will fish the same thing the whole day. We swapped flies sometimes after 1 or 2 swings on active fish and were rewarded with a tug instantly.

Not even his coffee could fix my casting though :p

Bob Triggs likes this.
  17. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

See you out there,

Jered

18. Great advice all around here. I agree that gear fisherman are a great resource. As much of an ass as he can be, a lot can be learned by watching Herring Dan.

Tacoma Red, ten80 and Kcahill like this.
  19. Yeah, like you only need to cast 30ft and drags are for sissy fisherman! haha :eek: :D

Nick Clayton likes this.