Beach fishing, broken rod, and Karma

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Whitey, May 3, 2005.

1. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

First off, its nice to see this new area on the site. I've been hittin the beaches for about 5 years now and I've been trying to get CWUgirl interested in beach angling, and at last I think I did it. We went down south this weekend to one of my favorite spots, we arrived at high tide and suited up, although suiting up is a little overkill. One of the best things about the beaches is that it really doesn't reguire a ton of crap to lug around, one flybox, a spool of tippet, and my lanyard is all I need. Anyway, C-dub landed her first Sea-run in about 5 minutes, a nice 15" beauty. Meanwhile, I was playing with a Miawaki beach popper further up the beach when I decided it was clouser time, I switched up and proceeded to catch a 10" cutty on my 3rd cast, I let the little bugger go and started casting again. Whap! I smacked the clouser against my rod, it wrapped around the tip tangling my leader in a ball of spagetti. I muttered to myself, got back underway and made a false cast when I noticed what I thought at the time was sea-weed near my rod tip. Nope, it was the tip and about 3 inches of rod dangling down my line. Their go's my day. I was pissed, I sat down on a log and thougth what the hell am I going to do. C-dub sees me sitting on the beach and walks over to see whats up. Broken rod, thats whats up! She said she needed a brake, I seized the opportunity and grabbed her rod and stripping basket(well, it was really my rod after all) and walked into the water, made a single cast, and just as I started to retrieve my fly, the line went tight, and the fish started pulling, after a few minutes I landed a beautiful 18" Sea-run Cutt. I felt so much better after that, that I decided to give my broken tip rod another shot, it was difficult to get a good cast, but I managed 3 more fish. All in all, we landed about a dozen or so. We walked back to the truck happy and content, slowly though, because its still fun to turn over rocks and look for crabs and stuff. YT :cool:

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Sounds like a great time. :)

3. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Sorry to hear about the rod tip Whitey; I'm always afraid to look every time I hear the "thunk" of weighted fly against my rod when trying to change directions to quickly, or rather, changing my mind to slowly. LOL. :eek:

Glad to see you take the sting out of a negative so quickly; an 18" sea run would do that for me too, nice fish!

In general, what part of the sound did you fish?