Beah Head??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Raddy_Brown, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Raddy_Brown

Raddy_Brown New Member

x( I have been very frustrated lately. I can tie pretty much all wet and dry fly's, but I have been trouble figuring out how to tie the bead head. I cant get the bead to fit onto the hook. What type of hook do you use? A certain type. Are there hooks that come with the bead already on them? How does it fit onto the hook?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Raddy

2. maluce

maluce New Member

You may need to use a larger bead. I just use standard
    wet fly hooks. Pinch the barb down then slip the bead on.
    If you have trouble clearing the bend, I have bent the hook (widening the gap) until it clears then bend it back.
    Saw this method in the Fly-Tiers Benchside Reference.

I've never seen "pre-beaded" hooks. No doubt someone will get the idea and start selling them someday.

Good Luck,
    Mike

3. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

If you are tying on Mustad for trout flies, I use the 3906B. I have never had a problem - You may just need to step up a size on the bead. I have never had any problems with the bead being too big for the fish's liking. Normally, when you cant the bead around the bend in the hook - the bead is too small. Happy Tying.

4. lastcall

lastcall Member

I had the same problem last week. Tried going up in size but it didn't help. Went down a size or two and the bead slipped on easily. :dunno

lastcall

5. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Sounds the bead that you were using was to big for the hook. The bead was not clearing the bend. It seams that the right size bead is always the one that slips the best around the bend.

Jay

Keep your lines wet!