bear watching

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by cuponoodle breakfast, May 23, 2014.

1. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    I took my girlfriend out looking for bears tuesday. Guess you could say I delivered.
    We saw two and got pics of one of them. I was surprised how calm she was when this one wouldn't leave us alone. Ok, I was also surprised how calm I was. This bear took a lot of convincing to go away. The short version is that even after shouting and waving at the bear, it kept coming towards us. After a lot of rock throwing and even a gun shot, the bear casually left. This was miles from anything, so I'm still not sure why this bear was so comfortable around us.

P4200074.JPG

P4200076c.jpg

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Around here, that would be a really brave (or stupid) bear! He'd almost certainly wind up as a rug.

3. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Bear? What bear? Your girlfriend's ear is HAWT!

4. psycho

psycho Active Member

Bears do stupid things around women having their period.:D That would be my guess as to the bear's reluctance to leave. Had that happen a few times when my wife was younger.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Was it the gun shot that seemed to finally get its attention?

6. cuponoodle breakfast

Media:
    When I first yelled and waved, the bear just looked at us. After I yelled and waved some more the bear took a couple of steps toward us. That's when I stepped in front of my girlfriend and drew my pistol. I tried yelling and waving again and the bear came even closer. That's when I fired a round into the ditch. After that, the bear casually walked up into the timber.
    We waited a minute and then noticed the bear hadn't gone very far. It was just up the hill watching us. I threw 4 or 5 rocks at it through the trees before it wandered up the hill and out of sight.

7. freestoneangler

Media:
    Thanks for reaffirming the value of carrying a firearm in the field. We've all heard the "saw the hammer off" party line before and while I have no misconception that a handgun is the ultimate deterrent, it provides me some peace of mind that bells, whistles, spray and rocks simply do not :eek:. Cool story, thanks for sharing.

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

I'm still not sure why this bear was so comfortable around us.

Uh gritty, its in your name and it was breakfast time

9. psycho

psycho Active Member

Did you think about my post, bears have wonderful smelling ability. Pre, post or in menstual cycle will get a bears attention. Lots of examples of it happening with both blacks and grizzlies.

10. cuponoodle breakfast

Media:
    I read your post and I've heard it before. That wasn't it.

11. psycho

psycho Active Member

Then you just ran into a curious bear, seen a few of those in my years too. I have never had a visit from a predacious black thankfully, but there have been a few attacks from them in BC.

12. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

That's not something you see everyday. I don't regularly carry a gun but I sure do out in the woods and while backpacking for that very reason. You just never know... It's there world ,we are just passing through.

13. freestoneangler

Media:
    A friend of mine in Utah had that happen at a campsite on the Provo River. They had a bear try and peel the door of a camper open. They had their food and all toiletries in the car, inside plastic tubs... the Park Ranger asked and they confirmed the other possibility as a factor.

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have always held the notion that blacks will look at you with the idea that you may be a meal. I have seen a few that seemed overly curious if that is truly the case. I will hold on to the idea that the curious ones are wondering what I may taste like and how hard of a meal I may be to acquire and act accordingly. If this bear was a ways back in the bush it may not have seen very many people. I can't tell the age of the bear from your pics but if it is a young one you could have been some of the first people it has seen since being on its own.

15. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have never had a bear look at me as food.

I have had lots of bear incidents when working as a field Forester. There are lots of curious bears out there particularly in areas where they are not hunted. Bears have really poor eyesight and they generally know that they are the top of the food chain.

I even threw an onion full force (don't ask) from five feet away at one and he merely sniffed the onion and wanted something edible. Camps are really the dangerous places for bears. The onion bear was dead a month later since we could not take the risk of having a human/bear incident in camp. He really became a pest.

In the woods, I have lots of funny stories mostly caused by curious bears. I never carried a gun in the woods while working and really never felt the need. If you carry a gun, you end up having to get rid of the bear and explaining yourself rather than ending up with a funny story.

jwg and Stew McLeod like this.
  16. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    "if you go down to the woods today....". But it's always a good thing for bruins to remember that they're not the only apex predators in the woods, and that .50 Hawken's got some really big teeth:eek:

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.