Beating the drum....

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by David Loy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    David
    Thanks for your efforts to date on this gathering. I'll be there when it does happen. I doubt I'll have any more rods then than I do now... Well maybe one more.

TC
    Mike Monsos likes this.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,698 / 0
    I knew I would miss the originally scheduled date since we were on vacation that weekend. I'll certainly join if the next scheduled date doesn't conflict, but I am headed to Fernie, B.C. Sept. 19 for a week. And then another week later on to the Skeena region.

Sg
  3. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    Are you suggesting a 'boo gathering in Fernie??? I'm IN!!!
  4. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    David, my know-how is worth maybe a nickle, maybe a little less. But happy to share and mis-guide you any time! Ron
    Mike Monsos likes this.
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    Several of us here will be away on an annual fishing trip and bamboofest the week following Labor Day. Hope this doesn't interfere with scheduling as I'd like to not miss either event.

K
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    Now that I possess a cane rod, I have even more incentive to make it to this! I'm hoping to have it retooled by then.
  7. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    Kent
    It wouldn't be a party without you. Thanks for the heads up.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Been too quiet on the Bamboo section of WFF so I posted this for no good reason other than to say this old Granger will come out for the fall gathering. Reels.jpg
  9. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Great looking Granger!
    Mike
  10. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    What are the spec's on that Grainger? I ask because I have an old Phillipson that could be similar depending on the age of both rods.

TC
    para_adams likes this.
  11. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Its a 9050. The tip on a 9050 is amazingly light but its still a 9 foot bamboo rod. I find it lighter in hand than some 8-1/2 foot monties I've fished but it is still a lot of rod to cast. Some love it. I personally am building an alternate second butt section from a trashed 9050 butt which I've cut 6" short from the butt end. Given the light tip of the 9050 taper the shortened 8-1/2 alternate version created an easy casting powerful 6/7 wt for the Yakima or lakes. I'll bring the full original Aristocrat and the alternate butt when we meet if anyone is interested in seeing how they compare.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Although my 9050 is just the Victory model I find it works pretty well throwing streamers.

Para; your Aristocrat model is a pretty one!
    para_adams likes this.
  13. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    No such thing as a "just a..." granger model. They are all wonderful.
    Kent Lufkin and Mike Monsos like this.
  14. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    I guess you're right, and I have to agree.
    I've got two 8642's, the 9050 and an 8040.
    All of them are "Victory" models - and all of them are wonderful to fish with!
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    That's a wonderful collection of Grangers. If you decide to bring the 8040 to the gathering I'd like to compare it to my Phillipson 8' HEH Pacemaker to see how similar they are or aren't.
  16. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    If we're in town whenever the gathering happens I'd be happy to bring it to compare.

Interesting to note that one of the 8642's I have is an earlier "Granger" model, whereas the other 8642 is a later W & M Granger.
    I had read that the later model is a stouter rod, and that is certainly true in this case. I'll bring both if anyone is interested.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    I've got a minty W&M Granger 9050 Special I'll be happy to trot out. It's a big rod and one I don't fish much. (Not saying much since I haven't been fishing with any rod lately.)

I recall reading once that all W&M Grangers were designed to cast a 5wt line, a real departure at the time when most other rods were happiest with a 6wt. Not sure whether that's true or not so I'd love to hear others' opinions or thoughts . . .

K
  18. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    I like mine with a six but I'm a mediocre caster who relies on a lot of hauling and scary body English to cast. Ron
    Gary Knowels and Kent Lufkin like this.
  19. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    I agree with ParaAdams in that my 9050 does best for me with a 6 wt line.
    The 8642's and the 8040 seem best to me with 5 wt DT's.

I'm a self taught caster and it shows too, but I still catch fish now and then and that keeps me happy.
    Kent Lufkin and para_adams like this.
  20. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Thanks Sofflyfisher. It was a mess when I picked it up and it was a fun project. Thanks to Steve K for inspiring me to launch into the bamboo refinishing world. I've got a long ways to go before I'm good at this but its a great challenge. This is probably goofy, but I always think of John Gierach when I hear about Grangers, so when he came to town just after I finished the rod I took it with me to his book signing and he humored me by signing the rod at my request. Better than an autographed baseball to me.
    Reels.jpg
    Greg Armstrong likes this.