Beating the drum....

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by David Loy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Thanks Sofflyfisher. It was a mess when I picked it up and it was a fun project. Thanks to Steve K for inspiring me to launch into the bamboo refinishing world. I've got a long ways to go before I'm good at this but its a great challenge. This is probably goofy, but I always think of John Gierach when I hear about Grangers, so when he came to town just after I finished the rod I took it with me to his book signing and he humored me by signing the rod at my request. Better than an autographed baseball to me.
    Reels.jpg
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  2. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    I like it para adams!

It's great to have heroes and signed mementos. In the world of professional sports it's a common thing and no different in flyfishing, although not as common as in baseball, football etc.

I have a Hardy reel signed by Lefty Kreh that I treasure.
    para_adams likes this.
  3. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    From the 1931 Grainger catalog here are their fly rod offerings. The 1941 Catalog is much the same. Not sure what happens in later catalogs but I imagine they follow this established line up.

7 ½’ 3 oz HFH DT4
    8’ 4oz HEH DT5
    8 ½’ 4.5oz HEH DT5
    9’ 4.75oz HEH DT5
    9’ 5oz HDH 6DT
    9 ½’ 5.5oz HDH 6DT
    9 ½’ 5.75oz HCH 7DT
    9 ½’ 6oz HCH 7DT
    10’ 6.5oz GBG 8DT

If anyone is really interested in Grainger, Phillipson and W&M rods find a copy of Dick Spurr & Michael Sinclair's, Colorado Classic Cane.

Most of the the major rod manufacturers, mid sized commercial companies and smaller shops all made rods down to 3 & 4 weight. As an example Leonard's most successful line of rods, the Catskill series were all 4wt rods when first introduced. They later expanded the series to include heavier rods.

TC
    David Loy, Kent Lufkin and Tom Bowden like this.
  4. para_adams Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Thanks Tim. The 4.75oz 9' HEH is something I've never heard of. I assumed all Granger 9's were 9050s. Cool
  5. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    According to the book "Goodwin Granger - The Man From Denver - Granger Rods" by Michael Sinclair they made four 9'-0" rods;

on pg. 123;
    model 9043 @4.75oz.
    model 9050 @ 5oz.
    model 9052 @ 5.5oz.
    model 9053 @ 5.75oz.

Granger rods ranged from the 7'-0" 3oz. (7030), as well as the 7.5' (7630) all the way up to the 10' @6.5oz. behemoth!

Would love to get my hands on one of the 7' or 7.5' footers.
  6. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    I went back and looked at W&M specifically as that was the focus of Kent's original inquiry. Like many rod makers of their day their catalogs didn't often specify line sizes. They offered rods ranging from 3oz to 6+oz. Using the Grainger sizes and weights as a guide we can safely assume similar line weights.

Again, if you want to know about the history of Grainger, Phillipson and W&M get Spurr & Sinclair's book. Of the three companies, Phillipson's history is the most interesting to follow as Bill Phillipson struggles to keep the company alive.

TC
    para_adams likes this.