Beautiful day, a great fish, life is ok at times, a trip report..

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 23, 2014.

1. So, what is one of the great advantages of having your own fly shop? How about this...

You're taking your son fishing this morning. He is SOOOO excited, and quite frankly, so are you. You get ready to head out, gear is packed, and you realize as you're 10 minutes out the door, you've forgotten:

1) tippet
    2) the box of flies you specifically set aside for the day
    3) the waterproof case for your phone, again, set aside with today in mind.

So. It's 8:00am, you're already en route, what do you do? Why, swing by the shop of course, and let your son choose a few flies of his own!

Anyway... After a rough week of doctors appointments and tests for our son, he's been really terrific the past few days, feeling good, and with the weather cooperating so nicely, figured we just had to get out. He was awfully excited, and while he lost more fish than he landed, well, who's counting anyway? (apparently I am!) He did great though, thought I'd share is all. So good to get them started young. At 7, he's a far better angler than I was at almost twice his age, and he has both a knack for getting into fish, and a degree of patience with fishing that he doesn't exhibit for anything else, which I think is telling and damn cool too.

Thanks all, hope those that have little ones of their own get to do likewise, it's pretty special sharing time on the water with our kids.

Dan

Picking out his flies, it's like I'm his personal shopper or concierge, haha...
    [​IMG]

Stringing up his Echo Gecko
    [​IMG]

Patience rewarded!
    [​IMG]

2. That is so awesome Dan! Way to get him out there.

formerguide likes this.
  3. I'm not sure how many years I fished before I held one that big. What a great day, that's a fun spot to take someone and catch something.

formerguide likes this.
  4. Thats awesome, nice fish!!!

formerguide likes this.
  5. What a great smile in that last shot!!

formerguide likes this.
  6. Love it!

formerguide likes this.
  7. Im happy for ya Dan. Yoiu have some great years ahead of you

formerguide likes this.
  8. Nice job and awesome fish! Looks like Trophy Lakes! Perfect day for it!

formerguide and triploidjunkie like this.
  9. That is very nice Dan. Kool.

formerguide likes this.
  10. can't say it any better than flybill.

formerguide likes this.
  11. As good as it gets.

formerguide likes this.
  12. Great photos! They tell the story all by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formerguide likes this.
  13. I love the third photo, what a great smile! Way to go, young man! And way to go, dad!

My daughter Matilda is almost 2 years old now, I can hardly wait!

Thanks for sharing,
    Kenneth

formerguide likes this.
  14. You are really lucky to be able to share the moments and thanks for sharing them with us. We are always interested in progress.

formerguide likes this.
  15. Ten Four. Sporty glasses too.
    Good one Dan. Wishing for many more.

formerguide likes this.
  16. Very nice. Can ya take me next time?

formerguide likes this.
  17. Dang! Hog of a fish! Getting kids involved in the outdoors these days is hard, but still, there are people like us to to lead another path for the younger generations.

formerguide likes this.
  18. Excellent report; your boy sounds like a natural :)

formerguide likes this.
  19. Priceless! And a prayer for the defeat of whatever medical issue he is vanquishing. My Kids are 27 & 30; time flies, so enjoy these years.

formerguide likes this.
  20. Thanks all, been nice week. Calvin says "thanks" as well.

One note for all parents taking their little ones fishing, please make certain they have sunglasses or appropriate eyewear when fly fishing, I'm uber anal about that. Would simply be too easy to not think about and get a hook in an eye; I also only fish barbless with my kids, for the same reasons, $.02...

But thanks again for all of the kind words and goodwill, so many of you have stopped in yesterday and today and commented on this thread, which only reenforces the point that I've made the right choice in my life, and in buying into the fly shop.

Thanks again!

Dan

Eyejuggler likes this.