Beautiful Fish

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Pat:
    Yes they do hit flies. I had some marvelous fishing last fall at Swift when I was flyfishing only 10 feet down and back about 70 feet with my Drunken Dragon fly nymph. They were landlocked coho's tho. But I have also caught kokanee at Merwin on the same fly. It's fun tho just to experiment and have some success once in awhile.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, 3 to 4 years. Imagine the size of those fish in that time. Oh wait, were you not kidding?

Bob Rankin likes this.
  3. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

4. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

and I appreciate that you shared your story!

dfl likes this.
  5. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

David; Yes they are fantastic on the barby or done on the smoker in my book. But my wife would rather eat a big spring king or fall URB, so I rarely keep the kokes I bring home. I usually,but not always, give them to friends. These were given to a Tongan/Samoan family that just moved into the area and love fish. They were happy as a clam at high tide.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Its always fun to share the bounty. My kids went to Wallowa Lake last year and brought some home, and they were fantastic eating. One of the kids caught a 22" fish and it was really hard telling it from a fresh Sockeye.

7. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

I had to do a search to see where Wallowa Lake is after that post. A 22" kokanee is worth the drive in my book, but that's a little far. I love hearing from you Strike Zone on these fish. I think most of us on here play with trout, kiss them goodbye, see ya later etc., but when it comes to eating fish, salmon for most of us. Kokanee are the exception for me when fishing in a lake, one of my favorite table fares of all time.

My grandfather, grandmother and one or two of my brothers used to make Banks Lake a destination vacation. Silvers were the reason, actually they were kokanee, but I had never heard the term at that time, gramps always called them silvers. Leaded line with a small pearl colored wobbler type of lure tipped with a kernel of corn. Reason we went to Banks was they were bigger fish than over here and we could catch then without using gang trolls or pop gear as we called the smaller gang troll set-ups.

This is why I love to hear how you are catching these fish Strike Zone. You are doing it with flies sometimes. Can you share the set up you used for these Merwin fish in the pictures?

Gracias,

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Well if 22" Kokes get you excited...houw about 8# and 9# ones? Wallowa is putting out slightly smaller fish these days, but still...

Most are on gear, but I think the right time of year, these fish could be taken on full sinking lines in the right part of the lake.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/wallowa_lake_yielding_monster.html

9. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Matt: Hi. Hope your day is as pretty where you are as it is here. Yes, I will try to take a picture of some of the things that have been working for me tomorrow if I can remember to charge up the battery in the camera. I'm taking the Samoan guy I gave fish to last week and his uncle up to Merwin for the day. Neither one has ever fished for kokanee in a lake, or salmon in the river, so it will be a real treat to see them fight some of those little rascals. I just hope there are some fish that want to play. I usually use a fly behind a sling blade off my downrigger at various depths, but sometimes I just use a hi-density fly line with a bare fly about 10-12 feet behind it. I try different things till I see what is working and then stick with that till the bite goes off. If I haven't had any bites after about 15-20 minutes I will switch to something else after trying different speeds, depths, direction of travel, ect. Anyway, I am new myself to this kokanee thing so I've got alot to learn. But this last year up there has been awfully good to me. I plan to stay at it. I've been having a ball up there and also at Coldwater.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

10. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Holy cow David,

That is an incredible story. 9.67 lbs. Hope that fishery gets back to equilibrium between shrimp and fish etc. I see what you mean about, if I am excited about a 22" kokanee I need to set me sights a little higher. I am used to 11" average or thereabouts, although I don't really target "silvers" much anymore. The banks lake fish used to run about 16" average if I remember correctly. Then that fishery went away but I have heard its coming back.

Thanks very much for the intriguing info you shared.

11. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Strike Zone,

Looking forward to hearing about your day up there. I think with you being a fly fisherman you are finding ways to incorporate your love of fly fishing into different ways to catch one of the Northwests best eating fish, while not impacting trout in any negative manner at all. I salute you.

12. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

mat: Hi. Things went very well for us there today. Brought home 23 kokanees and had a few come unbottoned on us, but it was a glorious day to be out in nature. I'd love to share here what we caught them on, but I don't feel I should on this site. I took the two Samoans up with me. They were thrilled to say the least. It was a super day for all.

Denny
    GET THE NET

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  13. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Understand. Will pm you later. Love catching those fish on a flyrod. Always have been interested in how some lakes will actually have kokanee that take a fly. I dialogued with some guys on fishbc a couple years back who were dialing in a fly that worked. I never had much success with it on Lake Whatcom. They told me they thought it was the lake system more than anything. I will try to find that info and share it if I come up with it.

14. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Strike Zone,

Red Spratley's, red leeches and Carey's are all supposed to work for kokanee as well as this one called the Stump Lake Limey from one of our very own BC members of this forum, Johnk.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/stump-lake-limey.96566/

Other guys up there say chartreuse and red are key colors for kokanee. Here is another guy's quote. "We were using a red spratley with a gold bead and peacock hurl collar and I swear it was to the point where we'd limit out in a couple of hours.....if we were keeping them."

Here is the link to the above info. Johnk was participating on this thread back then. So thanks to you Johnk if you see this thread. Some great info here.

http://www.flyfishbc.com/forums/threads/4888-Fly-s-for-Kokanee

Now to find out I guess.

15. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Mark: Hi. Thanks for the info. Fun read. Brings back good memories. I also remember fishing Stump Lake during the month of May about 15 years ago. I was fishing alongside of Brian Chan of BC and I was really getting schooled on the ins and outs of chironomid fishing for about two hours by Brian and his partner. I couldn't get a bite, yet Brian was catching one after another. Then for some reason I tried a chromie in a size 14-2 xl and bingo. It was fish on. I was also in the south end of Stump in about 14 feet of water. Ended up with 54 fish of which at least half were kokanees all C&R of course.. I ended up staying there for three days of wonderful times. I have been flyfishing a whole lot of lakes up in BC since back in 1956 when we went to Loon Lake just north of Cash Creek.
    By the way, I grew up in your neck of the woods about 7 miles north west of Ferndale near Lake Terrill. My family homesteaded up there. Small world.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

16. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Ah yes, Lake Terrell. I used to live in those duck blinds back in the 70's. Well, I'm going to try stillfishing some of these fly's especially Johnk's chironomid. I bet it would work fine in place of periwinkles etc. on the booms up at Shannon, and of course Stump when I find myself up that way.