Beda Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ribka, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ribka

ribka Active Member

In the spirit of "sharing the wealth" under our new Prez giving a brief Beda report.
    Fished Beda twice over weekend and is fishing well.
    Fish were keyed in on Chronies and leeches.
    Seemed to prefer a fast retrieve
    Lake was packed with people. I guess the "secret" is out.
    Three weeks ago I saw two separate individuals filming on the lake for fishing shows.

Be aware of poaching activity

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Fishing shows? Most likely animal control looking for a stray yellow lab!

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

Yeh,
    Two different guys were filming their partners fishing in drift boats. Looked like professional cameras. I spoke to both of them and they both stated that they were filming for fishing shows and for their web sites .

Strange

4. Trout Master

ribka, I wonder if it was that seasons on the fly, show??????????

5. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

Thanks for the report. Beda is a fun little lake. It was rehabbed by WDFW in 2000 and it was a great place to fish for 2-3 years - lots of fish, big fish, relatively undiscovered. The next several years saw a dramatic increase in pressure, while at the same time, the sunfish became more and more of a problem. Since the fingerling plants weren't competing well with the sunfish, WDFW decided to take a different stocking approach last year to augment the fishery. They planted almost 2000 two pound rainbow trout (quite a few for a 50 acre lake) last fall so that the lake would provide good fishing this Spring. I believe that the stocking plan for 2009 at the WDFW site indicates that they are planning to do the same thing this coming November. While the lake often is crowded, you can still catch quite a few nice fish per day if you know what you are doing and can target specific food items present in the lake. Many eastside fishermen have given up on fishing Beda because of the crowds, and because there are 10-12 eastside lakes that in many respects offer better fishing. My impression (perhaps I am wrong) is that westside fishermen are particularly enamored with Beda, perhaps because the drive isn't much longer than the drive to Lenice/Nunnally, and because you only have to carry your floattube/pontoon boat 100 feet from the parking lot, rather than 1/4 mile to Lenice and 1/2 mile to Nunnally. The planting of large fish should keep this a popular, somewhat crowded fishery in the near future. As an eastsider, I would encourage westsiders who are somewhat put off by the crowds at Lenice/Nunnally/Beda to explore some of the other great lakes on the eastside. The fly fishing only and selective gear lakes receive alot of pressure but handle that pressure well for the most part. In addition, Sprague Lake should provide fantastic trout fishing this year, as will Chopaka, which is just coming off rehab and has been well stocked by WDFW and a couple of the fly clubs that donated money to augment the stocking. Rather than trying to be secretive about these well-known public lakes, let's recognize that the problem most of us face is "so many places to fish, so few days to go fishing". Let's share our knowledge with the newcomers to the sport, both in this forum and on the lakes and streams.

6. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Well said tippet, it also shows we need more selective lakes both east and west.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I remember when this little lake was a hush-hush subject on a few web sites. I had a hard time pulling the location out of Trout Master a few years ago. But I never made it over there to fish. Maybe I should be sorry that it has gone to hell.

But when more people know about a good lake and everybody throws the name around. It doesn't stay good long.

8. Trout Master

OMJ , who/what I dont ever give it up!!!!!!

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    When the TM outed this lake to you in 2001 it was really an open secret.

10. Trout Master

I can remember that M.B. Scott wouldnt even tell me about it. I found out from Swede's fly shop in woodinville.

11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

now days its not only finding a good lake to fish. its finding one that when you get back to where you parked, your rig is still ok.
    too bad we dont have more quality waters on the westside. it sure would even out the pressure.
    but the WDFW only listens to the 2 week opening day crowd over here.

12. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

I didn't think they listen to anybody,considering how bad this state has got'n over the years.But they still want the cash don't they......

13. ribka

ribka Active Member

The reason I mentioned this lake is because I know the game officers who patrol this area and there is a lot of poaching by local Hispanics. I do not live too far from the lake and i know this to be a fact. With the state and the tightening budget will be less money for enforcement so as mentioned in another post would rather have more fly fisherman there to lessen the poaching that typically occurs during the mid week period or at night. I know some of the guys on the west side do not like me mentioning the name of the lake but would rather share the lake with more people than have the lake poached out in a year.Also lessens the numbers of the tweekers patrolling the parking area looking to break into vehicles. Unfortunately it is a fact of today's fishing over here on the east side.

Always willing to share my limited knowledge of lakes on the east side. I met a couple of very friendly guys from Seattle area last Sunday at Beda.

14. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

It's a fact that nothing is secret anymore due to growing pop.which can be good as you mentioned the very reasons,we just have to make the best of it and hope fully get time during week to help curb problems,yeh there a few good ones left over here,I'm try'n to get over real soon,I'm a little behind this year on the trips,but once I get going you'll see me everywhere over there,I should live overthere with how much I'm overthere,maybe we'll share some knowledge someday..

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    ribka, I find your openness refreshing. I'm at the point that I'm good for receiving info but not yet seasoned enough to offer much detail on places to fish. I hope that once I learn a bit more I do not become jaded, overcome by secrecy or otherwise sullen. Thanks for your update on Beda Lake, somewhere I may never fish, but you've at least put it onto my fishing radar screen.

16. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    The real secrets have a way of beating on and scratching up the vehicle and psyche far too much for most to venture to them. Ticks, rattlers, bullsnakes that scare the shit out of ya cuz they look like rattlers, what looked like a road looking less so as sage tears at your paint job, and the many fishless miles and hours of mind-numbing driving rattlepan roads wondering if you're gonna make it back up what you just came down feeling like your brain is rattling around in your head from potholes and all to find that precious spot only to find intermittent dry crap that doesn't support much of anything living. At least there are a few left.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Thank goodness for a POS Pathfinder! Love taking it into some of those places. Thanks to a member here I found my way to a guarded spot of his (so I will still not release its location) and it was effort well worth the trip. Football like fish and two grizzlies playing around in a meadow far enough away not to freak me out. My brief trip to MT was on to hook me into wanting more!

18. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    Ribka,
    I was there with my Dad this weekend. What kind of craft were you fishing out of?

19. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    There was once a stretch of spring creek so dear to my heart that when I accidentally alluded to its wherabouts in a post to the old waflyfishers listserv I became physically ill at what I had done. I say once because drawdown and drought combined depleted springs sufficiently to kill off the population which is now trying feebly to regain a foothold. I have a photo of a pool just below where you can step across that contains at least 50 visible fish mostly rainbows and a few browns - all healthy and fat and beautiful as can be. There's no way anyone will ever know where that is, but I have a point in this - this shit is delicate. Even a place like Beda. We can't just descend on it in hordes and expect everything to be alright. Secret or no secret, I think some respect is deserved for the environment that still exists there at Beda Lake. I love those Sandhill Cranes around there... good stuff.

20. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    I have a question or two that I'd like to ask, this coming weekend probably saturday I am thinking on driving up to Beda Lake as it's only a little over an hour away, then in the afternoon heading over to Amber Lake and returning home in the evening. Question is I've never really fished lakes before mostly rivers so is Beda and Amber a good spot to haul my pontoon to and fish that way? I planning an taking along a few damsels nymphs and emergers, calibeatis, micro leechs, black and brown bugger or two and some scuds and a few czech nymphs so will all of this be a good setup with the toon and a small selection of flies?
    Thanks
    Rick