Beginner - "should read's"

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by R00k, Jan 6, 2014.

1. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Hello my name is Mike, I live in snohomish, although I've been an avid waterfowler for over 20 years at my duck club in chehalis, I've recently have been building a love for fly fishing. I find myself on the iPad watching these videos of incredible fishing adventures and know I can someday do it... At this point it's the "idea" of fly fishing that has me intrigued more than ever, since I have yet to fly fish outside of backyard practice. I am a brand new fly fisherman and I'm not afraid to get out and chase my goals, I am obviously looking to gain knowledge in anyway I can. Do you recommend any good books, instructional DVD, websites anything that is a great source of information? (Other than this forum) is there anyone willing to help out a Rookie?

Thanks everyone. Hope to meet you guys on the river!
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    A google search for Snohomish fly fishing club turned up this:

http://www.evergreenflyclub.org/

You should go to a meeting or two. Clubs are a great way to get introduced to the sport.

M
  3. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    Thanks, I will look into that.
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +643 / 0

Hello and welcome. Take it from someone is is well deep into his first "real" season steelheading. You must stick with it. The absolute best thing to do is hire a guide to take you out. However, this may spark some negative comments but I do not suggest hiring a guide until you have really gotten your feet wet. Time after time of not catching anything, and learning this, and learning that, your thirst for knowledge grows and the ability to retain knowledge grows with it. I would say after about 4 months you should go with a guide because then you will have valid questions too. I heard Dec Hogan's book is a pretty good read but I am too cheap to purchase it. So get out there, get your line wet and accept what will come to you naturally. Above all HAVE FUN. Again welcome.
    R00k likes this.
  5. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    "A Steelheaders Way" Lani Waller
  6. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

That is an excellent read. You can borrow it for free on kindle.
  7. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    Watch" Orvis's Guide To Fly-Fishing". its on WFN, 394 on Dish, or online. Also " The New Fly Fisher". Both TV shows
    R00k likes this.
  8. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    Daniel, thank you! How do you borrow on kindle? Never tried it.....
  9. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

Shit man on the top of my head I can not remember. Heck if I can figure it out anyone can. I would say google is your friend on this one.
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,060 / 0
    Read daniel's "a rookies log" thread
    R00k likes this.
  11. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    No worries man, I got it on iPad kindle... I heard sharing between iPads and kindle is difficult. Starting the book now
  12. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +551 / 0
    Never hire a guide. Man up. Buy beer. Learn to catch fish......oh, and buy beer.

Go Sox,
    cds
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. ambassadeur10000 Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    A must read is The Orvis Guide To Reading Trout Streams. You will find yourself using it as a resource year after year. Reading the water is the most important thing for a newcomer to comprehend. It will help you catch fish wherever you fish, even on waters new to you.
  14. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    Fly Fishing for Summer Steelhead, by Forrest Maxwell and John Shewey.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  15. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
    Jim Kerr , raincoastguides.com, has done all day clinics for a max of four anglers. I suggest you contact him and get in line for when he next schedules one. Jim is a great teacher and I found this clinic to be very beneficial.
  16. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +823 / 0
    check out your local fly shop as most good shops have clinics for beginners. don't be afraid to go in and ask them questions about rigging, etc.

also, one of the best ways to learn imo is to find some small streams with hungry trout and just go fish them with dry flies. non-selective trout (aka. stupid) are a beginners best friend. do some hiking this next summer to find trout that act like trout should.

the best way to learn to fly fish is to actually get out there and fly fish.
    R00k likes this.
  17. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Skagit Master 1 and skagit master 2
    R00k likes this.
  18. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +392 / 0

Hmmm there are lots of great fly fishing books. One thing i would warn about watching videos.
    Even a long 15 minute video may have taken a week or even an entire season to film. I do not say this to curb your enthusiasm but i could see how as a new steelhead angler it would be possible to obtain a very inaccurate view of the current steelheading opportunities in the world. For every person that goes to B.C. and has an epic trip and films fish after fish after fish there are two who go and rarely have cause to break out their phone for a quick snapshot. For every multi- fish day you have out on the Olympic Peninsula you'll have a week or more without a touch. All i am saying is don't be fooled into thinking it's easy, it used to be before we destroyed our fish runs but it's not anymore. So be prepared for a bit of hard work, a fair amount of disappointment and a few moments that take your breath away. On the other hand I am a bit of a downer when it comes to steelhead fly fishing anymore so don't let me jade you either.

If you can get your hands on the old 3m Mastery videos with Lani Waller I think they are the best steelheading videos on the planet. Lani pretty much starts with the assumption of zero knowledge and does a good job of covering the basics. There are three videos in the series all on VHS. I do not know if they have been released as DVD's. Avoid the Jim Teeny one.

Also, if you also want to learn to trout fish your first investment should be the "Curtis Creek Manifesto"
    it is the best book on the basics of fly fishing for trout. it tells you all the things you really need to know without confusing you with stuff you don't need to know til much later on.
    after that the scientific anglers videos on trout fishing are also exceptional I especially like "Anatomy of a Trout Stream" with Rick Hafele. then after that the video featuring Doug Swisher " advanced strategies for selective trout" is also great.

For getting a flavor of the history and culture of steelheading you should also read Trey Combs three books on steelheading, i skip over the how too parts and read the parts about the people and the rivers.
    I find that how to steelheading doesn't translate well to the written word, at least for me.
    Evan Virnoche and R00k like this.
  19. R00k Part time rookie

Snohomish, Wa
    Thanks everyone! I am truly grateful for your help!
  20. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0

DAT SUM TROOF if yahknawsayin