Beginner - "should read's"

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by R00k, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Welcome, Mike! (And if you ever want to learn to play "moon river" on your duck call, give me a holler!). These guys here, are a bunch of really knowledgeable-and seriously disturbed-steelheaders. This is my second serious year at it, and I'm also very grateful for their wisdom, not to mention the joke-cracking that goes on. The Spey guys are the worst though, we all wear tweeds, ties, and have out ghillies rig our rods.:D

R00k likes this.
  2. Preston

Preston Active Member

The 3M/Scientific Anglers videos, featuring Lani Waller, mentioned above are available in a 2-DVD set, with an additional section updating the material from the first three.

So far as books are concerned, Roderick L. Haig-Brown's books, Fisherman's Spring, Fisherman's Summer, Fisherman's Fall and A River Never Sleeps are among the few fishing books that actually reach the level of literature. Largely, though not entirely, about steelhead fishing, they are worth reading not only for their literary quality but for the strong thread of a sporting ethic that seems to have gotten lost in the hype and commercialization of today's fishing .

R00k likes this.
  3. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

They are fairly generic, but the two books I continually turn to in terms of where to fish in the PNW, what time of year, and for maps of access points are

Flyfisher's Guide to Washington
    http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Washington-Wilderness-Adventures-Series/dp/1885106580

and

Washington River Maps & Fishing Guide
    http://www.amazon.com/Washington-River-Fishing-Guide-Publisher/dp/B004TM5SNY
    Neither is a tell all for every spot in the state or how to fish them, but half the fun is learning on your own. And as far as pointers for where to start your search for trout, steelhead or salmon, I've yet to find anything better. Tight lines,

R00k likes this.
  4. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Instructional materials are good, but it's writing like Trey Combs' book that keep me inspired to cast on that 4th or 5th fishless trip. I don't think many other books have captured the history, allure, and reality of steelhead fishing like this one. In a sport that can feel frustrating, it's important to keep your head in the right place and your expectations managed.

R00k likes this.
  5. JayB

JayB Active Member

It's more of a trout and general-fly fishing book than a steelhead book, but my number one suggestion would be "The Curtis Creek Manifesto," by Sheridan Anderson. It's an illustrated/cartoon book, and Anderson manages to effectively compress and transmit the information that most authors struggle to convey effectively in dozens of pages of text into a single page.

My other suggestion, which is also more of a general purpose suggestion rather than anything geared specifically towards steelheading, is to build up a base of experience and confidence fishing for trout on small waters as part of your overall learning curve. It's a different game, but learning presentations, lies, etc (particularly for streamers) that work on small water should give you a boost when you start chasing fish on big water.

http://www.amazon.com/Curtis-Creek-Manifesto-Illustrated-Paraphernalia/dp/0936608064

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Old school; Steelhead Fly Fishing by Trey Combs. In my opinion the only book you need. The Roderick L. Haig-Brown's books mentioned above will certainly put you into the correct emotional state to fish and give you an understanding of why some of us are so passionate.

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Maybe you could perform"moon river on a duck call " at the occupy Skagit event this year

8. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

I'd add a map book to the list.

Also, if you offer up a duck hunting trip or 2, I'd wager that there would be no shortage of folks willing to take you out fishing.

Good luck, man!

Jason

9. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

I learned to fly fish in college and fished pretty regularly for three years or so…then life happened. So, almost 20 years later I found myself in WA with a hankering to get back into fly fishing. Over the past 18-months I've been slowly getting back up to speed in fly fishing in general and learning the Steelhead ropes. Best piece of advice I could give you is build a relationship with a good fly shop and get out there and try it. I've gathered a wealth of information from just talking to the great folks at some of our local fly shops. Also, most of them offer some great classes that can help you get pointed in the right direction. I've taken a couple and enjoyed them while learning a ton.

All the books already mentioned are great and I've found that the Orvis website has some pretty decent instructional videos that have proven helpful in tuning up my casting.

Welcome and Enjoy,
    Jeff

10. R00k

R00k Part time rookie

Thanks Jeff!! I will begin visiting Pacific Fly Fishers as that's the closest shop to me I believe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Remind me when it gets closer; I'll try to bring the ol` Mallardtone!

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

"Mountain In The Clouds"
    Bruce Brown

"A River Never Sleeps"
    Roderick Haig-Brown

"Treaties On Trial"

"Salmon Without Rivers"
    Jim Lichatowich

"The King of Fish"
    Dr David Montgomery

"May The Rivers Never Sleep"