Beginner ties for SRC in the salt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gary Knowels, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    Hi guys,

Anyone willing to share some productive patterns for salty sea runs that a novice tier can manage?

Larry gave me a recipe of the popsicles stick that I will work on this week. Any others? Going to the fly shop for supplies tonight.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Clousers are super easy to tie. Try Chartreuse/white, olive/white, blue/white--just about anything. Only four materials necessary.

Chum babies are even simpler, though they might not do you any good until the spring.

In any case, those are a couple of simple but effective patterns that I have found are easy to tie.

Jason
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Chum Baby in the spring
  4. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Dark olive or brown clousers with white or yellow bellies make a pretty simple sculpin imitation. Throw in a red thread gill behind the eyes and you're good to go.
  5. YAMMY Member

Abbotsford B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Try gummie minows--easy to make as well and deadly in the right situaiton
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Thorn river emerger.
    Sand lance.
    Comet.

All wicked easy.
  7. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Olive green woolly buggers. Seriously.
  8. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    + 1....solid white as well.
    Blake Harmon and Jeremy Floyd like this.
  9. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    To marginally add to Stonefishes wisdom.. white with a black beadhead, and one wrap of short (3/8") red soft hackle behind the beadhead.
  10. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    I thought I'd throw the cutthroat squimp in....just cause it's so simple..... and it still works!
    DSCN1589 20-43-42.JPG
    Hook: Any short shank saltwater, size 6 or 8
    thread: Pink 6/0 uni thread.
    tail: Salmon pink marabou with sparse pink lite brite ( little longer then a bugger tail)
    eye's: GP tippets on pink, lady amherst on flesh pink.
    body: New Age chenille "shell shock pink" or similar or light pink or white.
    collar: Shrimp pink saddle hackle (use the softer base feathers) or schlappen tips.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    The Cone Head Squid and the JIm Dandy (aka "Snot Dart") are pretty easy. I would also try a conehead wooly bugger in sculpin colors. All of these are coneheads, so you should tie them up in mass quantitities.;)
    The Chum Baby, Thorne River Emerger, and Keta Rose (all are Chum fry patterns) will come to the fore soon enuff in April and May.
    I often use white Knudsen Spiders with a twist of red saddle under the natural Mallard flank hackle, and a bit of red in the tail, too.
  12. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    I was recently out casting for SRC with no hits...nothing and a chap came along and immediately started connecting in the same water...I had to know his secret and it was a simple but ingenious fly...the reverse spider. I love the action.
    A simple tie with Lady Amherst for the tail and reverse hackle and some chenille for the body. Wrap the Chenille up to an slightly over the hackles to get it forward. I tied a bunch with orange, some with eyes, some with rubber hackles. Play around!

Here is a killer link with ALL you'll need!
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/080706fotw.php

[IMG]
  13. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys! All great suggestions. They should keep me busy at the vise for a few days.....or years.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  14. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    great and good ideas for me as well.
    any of you guys know of the Opossum shrimp ?
    just wonder if it would work in the smaller sizes ? and other colors ?
  15. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Well I whipped up a couple of black/mallard flank and yellow/mallard flank reversed spiders last night as well as attempted Larry's popsicle stick. The first one turned out ok, but I wasn't entirely happy with it. I'll fish it and I think it will do just fine, but I can do better. That said, I woke up early this morning to tie a couple before leaving the house, including this beadchain eye version that I'm pretty happy with. These are the first hair-wing streamers I've attempted and I definitely need some practice.

I also found a couple clousers, a Miyawaki Popper, and some of Kelvin's double reverse spiders hidden away in a drawer thet were given to me 2 years ago. Looks like I'm going to have a pretty good arsenal! beadchain eye popsicle stick.jpg
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  16. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    Don't overlook this Gary. Try it in pink or peach too!
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  17. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +151 / 0
    White woolly buggers.
  18. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    Dehlia's Conehead Squid, it's great year round. Johnson's Beach Fly (white wing over orange body) great in the fall. Small Shock&Awes (chartreuse/orange/pink blend over white). Small epoxy sandlance 2.5" length is deadly year round. Tie on narrow gauge smaller hooks to minimize fish damage.
  19. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    It is nice to have a small 1 inch clouser in olive over white
    But it's tough to beat an olive bugger

I might be wrong but I tie my bead chain to the other side of the hook
    Good luck out there
  20. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    I don't mean to hijack the thread Gary but I felt the questions were along the same lines and may have pertinent value :)

I am getting the feeling I was making my poppers/clousers/streamers too big, so sensing I was doing a noob error of too much material I am training myself to get sparser. So I am decreasing the materials as well as looking at my hooks.
    As a newcomer I have noticed the term "size" is highly variable, between manufacturers and obviously hook style. ( I have searched and read many old threads pertaining to this so I have done some homework regarding small hooks and how they lessen the risk of a foul hit damage to the fish)
    So... I have become sparse and small.
    I was using Gamakatsu SL11-3h in a 6 and 8 for SRC but now I have shifted to SS-15 in 6 and 8 (which are markedly smaller) as well as the black SL45 in 6 (I was looking for a small and burly hook)

I am pretty pleased with the downsizing but still wonder...are SRC shy of larger patterns or is it just me overthinking the whole thing.

Thanks for putting up with a SRC/tying noob :)

Anyhow, thanks for all the great and wise info, yall rock in my book!
    Dave