beginner

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by johnnyV, Mar 31, 2002.

1. johnnyV

johnnyV New Member

looking for advice, I am new to flyfishing, I have all the gear,I am in the practice stage,getting ready for when the rivers open. my problem is when I am casting ,I get a good loop,-sometimes, othertimes perfect, but my leader& fly get into a tangle almost a rats nest,I think I will be taking lessons! I dont have anyone to watch me!! I have all kinds of books and videos that I look at constantly !!! I get going pretty good with loading the rod. maybe I am casting to much?? can anyone out there offer any advice thanks johnny v pacific wa. :CONFUSED

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Sounds like maybe you are not using tapered leaders. If you want to dry fly fish with precision, you must use them even though a bit pricey. The new braided tippet material may help ya too.

If you are planning to fish subsurface, it really doesen't matter a great deal what the presentation. Just get out and fling em and you'll eventually develope a better cast finish for your weighted nymphs. They tend to finish better anyhow and the current soon takes out any slack.

3. johnnyV

johnnyV New Member

yes I am fishing with tapered leader,6wf floating,but I am thinking I should spend more money on my line??? not the 16$ I paid . in other words you get what you pay for!! does this sound reasonable?? thanks for the advice!!! john.

Johnny V :CONFUSED

4. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Media:
    It sounds to me like you're doing one of two things:

1-You may need to decrease your angle (keep the rod tip between 10 and 2 o'clock). Try to use less wrist action.

2-You may be going to fast. Try slowing your casting motion down, to the point that your entire line and leader straightens out behind you, before starting the forward cast. When I teach a beginner, I encourage them to wait until they feel the weight of the line pulling on the rod tip, before accelerating into the forward cast.

Just a thought. With a little practice, you'll figure it out. :THUMBSUP

5. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

It sounds like you may not be letting your line / fly straighten out behind you before you start your forward cast. This will happen even as you progress with your casting skills if you are casting with a wind blowing (doesn't matter if it's with you or against you) over 10mph. Work on trying to let your line finish the back cast before starting your forward cast. Also, watch that you don't let the rod tip drop behind you on your backcast.

Good luck! :THUMBSUP

Greg