Beginners

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Thanks, Ron. Usually everthing goes directly from here to the bulk mail center in Oly. Both our zips start out 985, I'll bet it would make it to your mailbox tuesday the 15th if I mailed it monday, but dropping it in the box tomorrow will get it picked up and on the way by 2:45pm.
    I didn't get up to the P.O. yet, as one of my elderly customers called me for some un-planned for short-notice work. Talk about getting "little old ladied to death" LOL! (I live smack dab in the middle of my work territory and stop in for a break when I drive past my house). Now back out the door to make some more music with my weedwhacker! One more lawn job to knock off and it'll be beer-thirty. Couple more days of this and I can take off and go fishing again!

Update:
    Stopped by the P.O. and the parcel post rates posted in the lobby are $.37 for the 1st oz. and $.23 for each additional oz. My package weighs in at under 2 oz. so two $.37 stamps will be more than enough.

Jimbo:thumb
  2. Greg Gilliland Member

Benton City, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Mine are in the mail today.
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Hi Guys,

Not the bumper crop I was hoping for today, but Griswald's flies arrived. Some nicely done damsels.

We're cutting it close, aren't we?

REE
  4. C Van coming soon to a stream near you

Everson, WA, USA.
    Tagging them now and overnighting them, I had to try them out b4 sending, and I found a few willing takers, so excuse teh poor quality, only two months of tying experiance, I think you will get mine (just) in time.
  5. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Nice crop opf flies in the mail box this morning. Got offerings from Just Learnning, Jaws and Barfly.

Flies are enroute from Ski Bum, dheike, and Bill Bert. I haven't heard anything from Flip at all.

I'll wait until the late afternoon mail run (5:00 PM) so there is a full day for your flies to arrive.

Everyone is going to have a nice selection from this swap. good tying everyone.

REE
  6. Flip The dumb kid

Lk Stevens WA
    i know ron, im really sorry. ive been really busy with shool and the likes. im mailing them today, ill give some extras for everyone for my damn tardyness. have some family issues in portland so i was out of town, finals, graduation, all that sh!t.:bawling
  7. Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Olympia, Washington, USA.
    I've run into a problem, too.
    The wife was supposed to go to the post office last week and mail off our baby shower thank you notes. She was going to mail my flies while she was there. I went out to her car this morning and found both the thank you notes and the flies in her trunk. I guess I shouldn't rely on a 8 1/2 months pregnant woman. My fault, I should have followed up and made sure she did in fact go to the post office.

I could either overnight mail them today, hand deliver them, or bag it if it is too late. I'm really sorry. I feel like a flakey, irresponsible teenager.
  8. Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Dropped them off overnight express, today. I don't know if I could have made it out to Yelm and back in time for work.

I cannot apologize enough for the screw up. Hopefully I'm not too late. I deserve a floggin' with ten weight lead core line.
  9. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Bill Bert, I wish I had checked the board earlier. This would have given me a perfect excuse to hit the Little D after you got off work. We could have met up at Pioneer park. No problem though, I've had my wife forget to mail things for me (and Vice Versa) several times and neither of us is pregnant. Things happen. We'll save the flogging for serious offense (like using worms or power bait).

Flip's tubes arrived today. For those of you who have never used tube flies, I'm gonna let you bug Flip on how to rig them. That being said, they work very well for steelhead and salmon, are fairly simple to tie and having a sliding tube really keeps the toothy critters from tearing up the material in the fly.

I'm not mailing the flies out until 4:30 tommorow evening, just before closing, so those flies not yet here stand the best chance of arriving.

Still out are dheike, Bill Bert and Ski Bum.

REE
  10. C Van coming soon to a stream near you

Everson, WA, USA.
    I asked a guy at work to overnight my flies yesterday and they arrived at MY doorstep today, so if you want something done do it your self and i guess you won't get my flies. sorry:bawling at least i have some all ready for another swap if i am ever aloud in another one
  11. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hi Guys,

I went down to the post office to get the envelopes to mail out the flies and everything was dark. We are getting no mail delivery today because of a power problem at the Post Office. I won't be able to get the flies out until tommorow (the 17th) morning. My apologies.

SkiBum, If you can overnite them again, to me this time. they will probably make it.

Again, my apologies for getting the fllies out late, but this is something I have no control over. Thanks for your understanding (I hope).

REE
  12. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    REE -
    How DARE you!! :p
    Just kidding. Thanks for your efforts and I'm looking forward to the new stash. When's the next one? I'm in.
  13. Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Miscommunication again with Kelly!
    I didn't realize pregnant women got so
    absentminded.
    Mine didn't go out until this morning.
    Hopefully, they'll make it.........

Ron, I typically work evenings (1600-0200 lately) so I fish in the morning when I have the energy. Although I have a sneaking suspicion my fishing time is going to be seriously curtailed in the next week or two.
  14. dheike New Member

Ron,
    I am very very sorry about missing out. I was just taken into the ER recently for a freak headache. They ruled out anurism and that is pretty cool though I still have headaches for whatever reason. I am laying of most things right now and if I get a few short moments I will try to focus on the vise and finish what I promised, even without the swap I will still mail them to you. Maybe we could just swap for the bonus ties you were putting out.
    Thanks again,
    Darrin
  15. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Man! Look what happens when you taje the other half out for dinner and a movie. You get bumped all the way to page 2.

The flies are in the capable (?) hands of the US Postal System. Unfortunately SkiBum and dheike's flies didn't make the deadline, even with the extra day because of the poweer probelm. The flies that were to go to them were divded up among those who got their flies in, so you got some extras.

Skibum, when your flies arrive do you want me to hold them for the next swap?

Yes, boys and girls, there will be one more swap before I quit for the summer. Be watching for the announcement on the BB on Monday.

I was thinking that this fall, after the fishing slows down and the weather gets nasty, maybe we could do a monthly beginners swap. one month do streamers, then terrestrials, nymphs, that sort of thing. Drop me an e-mail and let me know what you think. I think it would be a great way to fill your boxes for next season.

Thanks to all the swappers for participating. The flies were very well done, and the generosity for FlyDreamin was terrific. Thanks again.

REE
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Received my flies in the mail Saturday and I'm stoked! Nice work, guys and Vickie. Thanks again Ron. That bonus fly you tied, a #20 Rocky Ford Creek Blue Plate Special, sure has a long name for such a small fly! Looks cool and not too hard to tie.
    One word on my comparadun. Apply dressing only to the wing so that the body sits low in the film, per directions in Skip Morris' Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple.

Jimbo
  17. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Jaws, Out of 20 fish caught at RFC, 18 were on the RFCBPS. Fish it dry or let it drown, the fish will eat it any way it's served. I did use it yesterday on the Little D in Tumwater and brought 4 nice cutts to hand with it before one of those tree fish broke me off. We stopped fishing shortly after that because the bikini/beer hatch had started.

Glad you liked the flies. It looked like everyone put a real effort into tying those up.

REE
  18. Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

I've been so busy with work and then my Grandma's birthday party on Saturday that I hadn't checked the ol' snail mailbox. I got mine, and I am very excited to try them. I'm not too sure what to do with the tube flies, though. It looks like I need to work on my tying skills some more, as mine looked the most "beginnerish" of the bunch.

I bought my father a TFO Professional series 5wt, Okuma reel, line, leader, and tippet for Father's day. So hopefully, we can put some of the flies to good use together.

Thanks to everyone!
    I sure wish I was heading out to test some of the flies instead of to the very hot factory :-( .
    I feel like I'm back at Fort Benning with this hot, muggy weather and lightning.
  19. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    Just recieved mine in the mail and they are SWEEET!

Thanks to everyone for their efforts and especially Ron for putting it all together:thumb

Tight Lines,
    LT:beer2

Edit: LadyBug has been eyeballing all my new bugs " Oh, that one looks fishy" she says. Then "Wow, I really like that one!" and I said, "You shoulda joined up because these are MINE" }(

Swaps are cool, LT:smokin
  20. Greg Gilliland Member

Benton City, Wa, USA.
    WOW They are all awesome, thanks for everyones tying. I am looking forward to going and fishing them hopefully yhis weekend. Anyone help me with the tube fly? Thanks Ron for the swap as usual it was great.