Being a crappy caster has its drawbacks

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tracy Lauricella, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Fishing before work this morning, when this happened:
    [IMG]
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,019 / 1
    Was that from a hook or dumbell hit? I've had one like that (repeated hook hits)
  3. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Ouch!
    Noticed it's right next to the foot of a guide.

A possible manufacturing defect?
  4. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    Unless manufacturing is designed to take repeated hits from heavy winter flies hitting the rod several times over the last couple of years, no, it's not a manufacturing defect. The tip is actually split from the crack a couple inches up all the way down to the guide. It stopped at the guide wraps and snapped off there.

I can go several outings with my casting spot-on, then have a day like today where I can't make a decent cast to save my life. I know there's lots of good teachers around to teach me to speycast better, but honestly at this point I'm pretty close to just leaving my spey rod & reel at the doorstep of a local fly shop for someone else to inherit.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    yeah.. it could be a rough edge on a guide foot.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Tracy, I hope this isn't an omen of what to expect spey casting. I'm in the process of gearing up but haven't slung the first fly yet.
  7. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    Bill, take the time to get several good sessions of casting lessons. I've only had 4 or 5, and those were many months apart, with my only "practice" being out trying to fish. Either go all in and learn what you're doing, or don't do it at all. My approach of trying to slot in a lesson here and there when I had a free morning at the same time as lessons being available didn't work well for me. The result was a heck of a lot of frustration.

Make the time if you want to do this. For me, the extra time probably would have helped, but I don't know that I want to spend the time now.
  8. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 16
    Tracy. Go down and talk to Anil at Puget sound fly co. Great guy and he can help you with your spey game. If you ever want to go out and fish let me know. Im new to spey fishing as well and maybe we can benefit from eachother being able to look outside the box. I live in Puyallup.
  9. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 16
    Also it sounds like you need to keep your rod at more of angle when you cast as opposed to throwing straight over your shoulder. That may be whats causing your fly to collide with your rod.
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    There is no way to tell what might be going wrong with a cast without seeing the cast.

I might make a suggestion to all new to 2 handed casting. Don't try to cast to far. This is a common mistake. You watch guys tossing 80 to 90 feet or more of line and think you can do it also. You can't, period. Only have enough line off the reel as you can easily cast. If this is ony 40 feet then that is all you should have off the reel. After you can cast 40 feet of line every cast, strip off 10 more feet and cast 50 feet until you can lay it all out every cast. Strip off 10 more feet and on and on. There will be days when you have to start at the beginning, so go back to casting 40 feet. I have been throwing line with a 2 hander for years. Usually I can cast about 80 feet with some consistency still, I have days when 50 feet is my best cast. It comes and goes for those of us that can't spend 6 days a week on the water. I am lucky if I get 6 days every 3 months. With that kind of casting time I know I will never be as good as most. I still enjoy it. Don't give up. Lower your expectations.

I might also add stay away from weighted flies until you can cast unweighted flies. Nothing will kill a cast faster then a sunken heavy fly that the cast can't pull up out of the water.
    Richard Torres likes this.
  11. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    If you have to cast 90 feet...maybe you are on the wrong side of the river ;)
    Pat Lat likes this.
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    What if the river is 250 feet across?:eek:
  13. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Your rod got "clouseratized".......or "intruderatized".
  14. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Time for a spud gun
    David Dalan likes this.
  15. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +163 / 0
    I suspect a few Snap-T "type" casts contributed to the incident.
    It's a dangerous cast, maybe that's why they call it the Snap-T(ip).
  16. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    Exact reason I gave up on said cast a lot of seasons gone by. Easy conversion to a circle c, which is better for lifting sunk junk anyway. Anyone that says it's "same cast" ..your wrong.
  17. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +666 / 0
    That's the reason I gave up on sunk junk and stayed with flies.
  18. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    Point [jab?] taken.. a defined range for "junk" would be interesting. In my case it was #6 BH bugger head first into exact area pictured by OP. Any Iron has capacity to inflict same. It's the cast / technique.. not the fly.
  19. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +342 / 1
    It seems to me, Tracy, that we met at The Day on the River a couple of years ago. Maybe you should plan on taking a few Saturdays, if you have the time and go back up and get some pointers from Aaron. He can probably straighten you out in short order.
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +771 / 0
    I'll PM you my address, I'll give your rod a good home. Please include the lines, as I have a collection that needs some help :)

Seriously though, your not alone. I have never managed to hit my rod with a fly but I have knocked my ass silly in the head (I kept touching my head waiting for the spray of blood, never came) and buried one in the inside of my upper thigh "3/0 in the crotch" (that was this season...). I am constantly tinkering with my casting stroke, because I get bored and I don't think ugly casts matter. Every day I start out on the river and look like I am completely clueless. Takes about an hour for my long casts to clean up. That's why I start fishing in the dark :D

I vote you find someone to help you out, as a self taught two-handed casted (what i do is probably not properly called spey casting), it may have saved me some time and suffering to find someone who could of said "What they hell was that? No, no, no..." I'm always seeing stuff by west side shops holding river side events and such to try gear and get tips. In that regard your quite fortunate to live on the West side of the state.