Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

being crude

16K views 193 replies 75 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·

#134 ·
So Jerry, I was born in South Africa (Durban) and have lived with many cultures. But none of this has anything to do with civility or fly fishing. The POT here is perspective. Does vulgarity contribute in any way to flyfishing? I don't think so. Use your words carefully and make them mean something. Words in this thread are worse than any I've ever heard because they are trying to justify rudeness.

#138 ·
Words in this thread are worse than any I've ever heard because they are trying to justify rudeness.
As I said 7 pages ago: "Meh."

It doesn't take vulgarity to be rude and vulgarity doesn't automatically mean rudeness. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Which is more rude:

"We don't serve your kind here."

or

"Holy shit, look who's here! I love this guy! How the hell are you bro?"

#135 ·
Underachiever made a very good point.
We all should recognize a level of morality.
Since this is the internet with no direct contact.... let the language continue! If a persons filter is sensitive to typed words.. their life must be a constant battle.
In public oral settings, gross vulgarity is mostly restricted to the inept, drunk or juvenile. Adults don't cuss too often in front of ladies or kids and when they do, they usually correct themselves when asked. Freedom of speech has landed many men on their asses with a bloody lip.... (freedom isn't free)

For ME- Using vulgarity or cussing etc with friends in certain situations clarifies the severity of the situation or discussion.

If a man doesn't like the language and is not able to change the language, he sould remove himself from the location. In most cases if a man is blatantly cussing in front of a lady or kids, (he is not much of a man) and will shutdown before the forementioned beatdown.

This thread reminds me again that the pursuit of happiness comes from within.....

Gob Bless America and George Carlan's 7 words.

#142 ·
This has gone way past what Rob originally mentioned. I think Rob is correct! We don't need to use foul language, if we choose too it's our choice and it does say something about us. If vulgar language is your trip go for it but I'll always consider you someone to ignore.

#143 ·
This has gone way past what Rob originally mentioned. I think Rob is correct! We don't need to use foul language, if we choose too it's our choice and it does say something about us. If vulgar language is your trip go for it but I'll always consider you someone to ignore.
Ignoring everyone who ever uses a curse word is certainly your right. Be prepared to live in a pretty lonely world if that's the route you choose.

#150 ·
I was fishing with a mentor and good friend who is a decade and a half or so older then me this past weekend.
I've never seen him lose his cool on the river, he's a great guide and teacher and has a ton of patience.
He's got no problem rolling his eyes at my outbursts and sometimes I even feel guilty over it. I'll be more "adult" next time.
Anyway, this past weekend my friend farmed a monster mint coastal chrome steelhead,
fish of the year, fish of a lifetime for some and he just flipped and lost it.
Stomping on his hat, kicking and stomping and the most endless stream of profanity I've ever heard in my life.
I had to slink off back to my spot in case he decided it was my fault for not finding a way to land the fish from a hundred yards downstream. I could see the scenario brewing.

Anyway, point is, I was totally thrilled. Skunked and gloating. "Human factor buddy, you'll get him next time" as I muster up the stones to walk back up the run.
After all, what are friends for?

I've never been as interested in the mindless stupidity and choose my friends accordingly. With the exception of having to occasionally take a second choice fishing spot or pack out some extra left behind garbage, I try not to let any group affect the outcome of my day dramatically.

#151 ·
Whoa, what a long thread. Too much air stagnation for heavens sake.

Society calibrates itself over time. Now the trend may be more crude. Tomorrow more pristine. Bottom line, we all can contribute, or not, to its calibration to our preferences.

We are a diverse community, country, world. Embrace it. Getting your feelings hurt because of open conversation in no way directed at you is, in my opinion, overly sensitive. Now you direct it at one person, different story to me.

I believe in civility. I believe in my choices. Feel free to make yours.

This year I'm fishing and drinking with Roper and I'm gonna hope to hear him drop some F bombs. Why? Because he is a calming and grounded presence and if he can let a few fly from time to time that's f'ing okay by me.

#157 ·
I also find people who use foul language, to be in general, more trust worthy. They're not putting on a front to impress, they are who they are. Generally speaking that is.

#160 ·
"Profanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple." David Keuck

While I don`t necessarily agree with this , as i use profanity daily , and respect and speak the language of the company I keep , and believe a well-placed F-bomb can enhance a conversation , I do believe that excess profanity serves no valid purpose .

There is no excuse for steel-face though . No matter who , when , where , or why it was said .:)

#161 ·
It sure looks like the advocates of sophomoric potty humor and profanity have won the day and in doing so have convinced me that I live in a changed world.
That said, I have an idea and I call my idea Flatulence and Profanity aka FAP.
I am the president and CEO of Lowest Common Denominator Recording , a subsidiary of High and Mighty Recording .
I’m sending a fully staffed mobile recording studio to the Pacific North West on or about 20 February 2013, locations TBA. Included with state of the art recording electronics will no les than three (3) Whoopee Cushions.
I’m requesting that those of you that advocate sophomoric potty humor and profanity prepare your material in advance of my team’s arrival.
Suggestions:
Write and be prepared to perform rap music to the beat of Whoopee Cushions. There is one caveat and that is you must use all of the common street profanity with the following exceptions. YOU, HIM, HER, IT and EM must be included in the profanity to enhance comprehension. Or tell profane jokes using the Whoopee Cushions and profanity as punctuation. From what I have seen on this forum the combinations are endless.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the recording sessions, but instead will be stuck in Wyoming hard at work on marketing demographics.
Possible uses for the recordings are:
On a family vacation, the kids in the back seat are becoming restless. Plug the CD into the player and FAP’em. They will be overwhelmed with mirth all of the way to Disney Land. Soccer Moms could FAP their energetic charges. Let us not forget carpools, public transportation as they all could use a good FAPPING. A good FAPPING could increase the chances of an athletic team’s winning percentages. I think FAP could go nation wide. And to think that the area that gave us Grunge, with little effort could provide the nation with FAP.
FAP on Dudes and because I live in Wyoming, I use the “D” word reluctantly.

#165 ·
#166 ·
Music composer Tom Zé, during Brazil’s 1964-1985 dictatorship, decided to mock the censors, who were banning many of his songs. He hired a “model”, put a marble in her asshole and published that as his 1973′s album cover. It worked.

There will always be crude people and people who try to control crude people and crude people who think the controlling people are the real crude people. The net result is that both sides will escalate because of pride that they're both right. There will always be differing belief systems and people the perpetuate the collision of them for mere amusement.

Unfortunately it has a lot of negative consequences.

The world would be a lot better if everyone paid attention in kindergarten; people are different. Like, BIG TIME different. It'll never change...and you might as well enjoy the process of getting on with your own damn, short, blink of an eye, life.

#170 ·
There will always be crude people and people who try to control crude people and crude people who think the controlling people are the real crude people. The net result is that both sides will escalate because of pride that they're both right. There will always be differing belief systems and people the perpetuate the collision of them for mere amusement.Unfortunately it has a lot of negative consequences.The world would be a lot better if everyone paid attention in kindergarten; people are different. Like, BIG TIME different. It'll never change...and you might as well enjoy the process of getting on with your own damn, short, blink of an eye, life.
Jesse, this is pure wisdom. I agree with you 100%.

#173 ·
Salmo I agree!!

Also it seems to me any post that deals with personal, or political beliefs, will get the most attention on this board.

G
#171 ·
1. I didn't read all these posts.
2. This will be the first post I've made on this forum on a thread that was Not Fly Fishing Related.
3. I'm a 62 year old Navy Vet.

What I see and hear now days is yes, more cussing and off color stuff than I did when I was a kid. Our culture has changed and our language has changed with it. Pat Boone didn't use the F-bomb when I was a kid and neither did the Nuns. Instead they used euphemisms for the F-bomb like "fudge", "fooey", "frackle", etc. It sounded pretty dishonest and stupid back then and today it's even more so.

Whenever the word "Fuck" was used back then, it brought silence to most rooms. Today, it's used so often, by so many people, and in so many different ways, it's lost it's shock value in most circles.

It's just a word.

In today's American culture, what would truly give me pause on a trout stream is not someone breaking off a 20"+ trout and yelling "FUCK". What would give me pause would be if someone landed a 20"+ trout and said "Praise Allah!"

In my life time, men, especially White men, have been stigmatized at nearly every turn. We've been told we're violent, crude, sex-crazed, misogynistic, etc. In other words, we've been punished for being men. We have been pushed to act more like women who are of course civilized, cultured, nurturing, patient, and never fart.

Aside joke: If a man is alone in the woods, with no woman around to hear him, and he makes a statement. Is he still wrong?

What I see and hear on the river, in the company of men, is guys essentially saying "I can be myself here. I can express myself with any words that come out. I don't have to censor my thoughts or my speech. I'm no longer drinking tea at the Tight Ass Club. I am free at last."

#172 ·
1. I didn't read all these posts.
2. This will be the first post I've made on this forum on a thread that was Not Fly Fishing Related.
3. I'm a 62 year old Navy Vet.

What I see and hear now days is yes, more cussing and off color stuff than I did when I was a kid. Our culture has changed and our language has changed with it. Pat Boone didn't use the F-bomb when I was a kid and neither did the Nuns. Instead they used euphemisms for the F-bomb like "fudge", "fooey", "frackle", etc. It sounded pretty dishonest and stupid back then and today it's even more so.

Whenever the word "Fuck" was used back then, it brought silence to most rooms. Today, it's used so often, by so many people, and in so many different ways, it's lost it's shock value in most circles.

It's just a word.

In today's American culture, what would truly give me pause on a trout stream is not someone breaking off a 20"+ trout and yelling "FUCK". What would give me pause would be if someone landed a 20"+ trout and said "Praise Allah!"

In my life time, men, especially White men, have been stigmatized at nearly every turn. We've been told we're violent, crude, sex-crazed, misogynistic, etc. In other words, we've been punished for being men. We have been pushed to act more like women who are of course civilized, cultured, nurturing, patient, and never fart.

Aside joke: If a man is alone in the woods, with no woman around to hear him, and he makes a statement. Is he still wrong?

What I see and hear on the river, in the company of men, is guys essentially saying "I can be myself here. I can express myself with any words that come out. I don't have to censor my thoughts or my speech. I'm no longer drinking tea at the Tight Ass Club. I am free at last."
Brilliant post. Well spoken and to the point. Agree 100%.

Reactions: junkie and Mumbles
#174 ·
If I were offended by foul language, I wouldn't have many friends. I do try to not use "bad words" when around women and usually don't use it on the forums because I know we have some ladies and the occasional youngster. Notice I said usually. And I definitely do not get offended by those who do. And I do not consider them vulgar.

My son recently told me his 3 1/2 year old had picked up a new phrase at her nursery school--got to watch those Methodists--"Jesus Christ". Craig and Carly worked to eliminate the use of the phrase with her and she did some time out. A few days later, I was on the phone with Craig when he managed to stub his toe rather violently (barefooted). He instantly came out with Jesus Christ, which was instantly followed in the background by my granddaughter saying "bad Daddy--do you want a time out?" I laughed my ass off. (Sorry if I offended anyone--well, not really).

I think the most prolific purveyor of profanity I ever heard was a Catholic chaplain I knew in the army. The guy had to have been a sailor in an earlier life. Pretty nice guy, and effective chaplain. The bottom line is some of the biggest hypocrites in history have been those who pretended to be offended by the words or actions of others. A number of them were religious leaders. Hmmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.