Belize help

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Willie Bodger, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    OK, I have found somebody that wants to take me to Belize to fish around this time next year (thanks, dad!), and now I need to figure out exactly where and when. So, is January a decent time to go down there? I'm really not looking for huge fish, I've got a 9'6" 9 wt and a 10' 7 wt that I was thinking of taking, but mostly I need to figure out where and when. My dad's requirements are slim and since he is paying I need to accomodate him first. So, he wants to stay as 'on the beach' as possible and I want to find the best shot at catching some fish in January/February.

So, anybody got some suggestions for where and when? Thanks on advance for you help!

Willie

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    That Winston LT you're trying to sell would be a great all-around stick for you down there . . .

Your local fly shop should have some good info for you, with tips on flies, etc.

3. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Thanks, Richard, I'll talk to the local shops. Has nobody else been to Belize to fish?
    Willie

4. Sageman

Sageman Member

I was just there 2 weeks ago. You'll need a guide to get you out to the flats, there really aren't a lot of places to wade. The bonefish are plentiful, but small in the 0.5-2 pound range. I'd say a 6 weight would be good for them, although you may want something a little heavier to cast on a windy day. Tarpon are present, but whisical that time of the year. One guy may get a shot at 6 of them, the next day they may only see 2 all day and not have a shot at them. Permit are around, but I wouldn't target them. I'd just keep a rod ready and if you happen to spot a couple of them, go for it. The reef fishing was a lot of fun for snapper and other bottom fish, and although we didn't land any, we had a kick going after barracuda.

If you have more specific questions, PM me. I made some mistakes, like letting a fly shop outfit me, and trying to hire the wrong guide.

My advice, learn to scuba dive and take a couple of days off to dive. The water temps are around 80 and the reefs are spectacular down there. You'll see more fish than you thought possible including some of the species you'd target.

5. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    willie,

there's quite a bit of info on here re:belize. also a lot on the www. here's my post from a similar thread...

was there a few years ago. found the bones to be spooky and small. you'll want to go with long leaders and small flies -- gotchas, charlies, clousers, mini puffs, bonefish specials, horrors, merkins, bitters, etc... in sizes 6, 8 and maybe even 10 with various sink rates and maybe some with weed guards (lots of turtle grass on the flats). a saltwater six weight would be ideal.

had numerous shots at permit but couldn't close the deal. merkins in various sizes seemed to be the preferred fly but who knows with those fish.

might also want to have some 'cuda and tarpon flies with you, as well as some other general saltwater patterns for other species like snappers and jacks.

good luck and have fun. belize is a very cool place. lots of other stuff to do besides fishing.

t

6. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Cool, thanks for the info on flies and fish etc. Now, geographically speaking, is there a better area to stay? We're looking for somplace as 'on the beach' as possible. Thanks!

wb

7. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    willie,

my wife and i stayed at jaguar reef lodge, south of dangriga. it's on a beautiful stretch of beach near the village of hopkins. not much wading for fish, though. needed a guide (and boat) to get out to the flats.

further north there's turneffe island, ambergris cay, cay caulker, etc... lots of places "on the beach." do some research on the www.

t

8. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Ahh yes, Turneffe and Ambergris, thank you.

9. Sageman

Sageman Member

We stayed on Ambergris, and almost everyplace is on the beach. In San Pedro you can stand on middle street and see the water on both the front and back sides of the island.

10. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Sweet! Did you fish by yourself at all or did you use a guide the whole time?

11. Russ Carson

Russ Carson New Member

north end of Ambergris has lots of places to stay on the beach, and you can simple walk the beach and fish. buy flies with weed guards