Belize honeymoon & fishing

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by SilverFly, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Belize was wonderful!

Initially I felt a bit guilty about talking my lovely bride into our honeymoon at a "fishing" resort. Fortunately El Pescador on Ambergris Caye was anything but "just" a fishing resort. It was fun, relaxing, romantic, laid-back, friendly, and adventurous. The staff made us feel like we were at home, - even like family. Eating dinner around a common table with the other guests was a great way to make new friends, and was something we looked forward to everyday. We never felt like we were "on our own", but always had enjoyable, interesting company to share the days events with.

[​IMG]

El Pescador was also kind enough to upgrade us to a villa as a honeymoon gift. The villas are gorgeous and very private. We spent a lot of time on the veranda in the hammock just soaking up the Carribean view and breeze.

[​IMG]

We only fished 2 days guided, although, I managed to catch 2 bones (including my biggest) right off the dock. It was my wife's first time fly-fishing and we only squeezed in 2 casting lessons before we left. I was hoping to get her in on one of the daily casting clinics but it was just too windy. In spite of the brief sessions with a lousy instructor (me), she managed to catch no less than 6 bonefish her first time out! She actually out fished me in that I couldn't stop myself from setting the hook, and blew opportunities at several fish. Between the 2 of us we caught 14 bones and 2 small cuda on day 1, - not too bad for a couple of flats rookies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides fishing there was lots to see on and around the island. Our guide Tomas, took us to some very remote spots in search of bones and especially for tarpon on day 2.

[​IMG]

My wife needed a bathroom break on our way back from Tarpon fishing (and got my ass kicked) so Tomas took us to this quaint, Belizean island "rest stop". Actually an abandoned fish camp.

Here's video of me getting whupped by a 90 pound tarpon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CB5qEOKgHo[/media]

[​IMG]

One of the "locals" hanging out on a dock.

[​IMG]

Our main adventure was a trip to Lamanai, a Mayan ruin dating to 100BC. This was a great trip by air, land, and water to reach this very remote site. We landed on a dirt strip in the middle of sugar cane fields, took some "unimproved" roads to a boat landing on the New River in the jungle. The river trip was exciting reaching speeds of 50 knots or better thru narrow winding river channels in the jungle. Ocassionally our guide "Melvis" would stop and point out plants and animals of interest (like a 12 foot crocodile).

[​IMG]

About 25 miles later, we reached a wide lagoon (which I found out held peacock bass and freshwater tarpon, - knew I should have brought a rod!). The ruins were amazing considering they were built by Mayan's averaging about 4' tall at that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After climbing a 112 foot pyramid (and sweating several gallons) it was a great relief to get back to the resort and take a dip in the villa's saltwater pool.

[​IMG]

We saved snorkeling for the last, which was good because the new Pentax Optio W30 quit working afterward. Fortunately we did get some decent underwater shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone is looking for a great adventure including awesome fishing, that the wife wont complain about, - I can't say enough about El Pescador resort and Belize.

2. GREAT PICTURES!

Fred

3. Congrats on the marriage. Looks like a great trip thanks for sharing that Tarpon looked awesome what fun!!

4. Wow, what a wonderful, well-rounded way to honeymoon!! From the smiles, it would seem that the marriage is off to a solid start. Best wishes,

Steve

5. looks like an excellent honeymoon. congrats to you both. thanks for sharing he pics.

6. Isnt San Pedro thaaaa shit. I highly recommend it. Good on ya for going there. I will be back there in March

7. Sweeet, double sweet.
    Great pics, and congrats.

8. You're a lucky guy. Great trip, new travel partner - good for you. And, thanks for sharing. You took some great pics. Were all the pics by the Optio?

9. Cool trip and report! Thanks for sharing. Belize is on our list too.

Sg