Belize questions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Salmon fisher, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

I'm thinking about planning a trip to Belize during spring break. I would probably want to go to a lodge where all of the food and everything is included. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any place that you would recomend?

2. Most of the places that I have researched don't supply gear (rods, reals, line, flies). And I don't really want to pay the money for a tarpon setup that I might only use once. What would you do?

Thanks

2. TomB

TomB Active Member

If you want to fish for permit primarily, then go to El Pescadore- Punta Gorda.
    If you want to fish for tarpon or bonefish....stay in the north particularly Ambergris Caye. If you are mainly interested in bonefish, then Turneffe Atoll is probably your best bet.

If you happen to be in the Punta Gorda area or in Placencia, let me know, as I can recommend specific guides.
    -T

3. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

I would mostly want to fish for bonefish. But I definately would like a chance at permit or tarpon. The main thing want to do most is catch fish. I was looking at the Whippari Caye Lodge, which is right in the middle between Turneffe and Punta Gorda. Would I catch many bonefish there?

Thanks

4. TomB

TomB Active Member

I couldnt remember exactly where whippari cay was so i googled the lodge. As does every place in belize, they advertize bonefish as well as permit and tarpon. There are indeed SOME bonefish in the area. Many of the guides from placencia motor out to fish that area for bonefish, because they are the only bonefish around. However, in terms of the overall number of bonefish-holding flats and numbers of fish, Turneffe and Ambergris are better. Tarpon fishing is better other places too. For permit, whippari cay is probably one of the better places you could go. If you are really bonefish or tarpon centered, I would go somewhere further north where there are more and bigger fish. If you are interested in permit though, you have a good spot. That being said, all three species are present in varying numbers on virtually any flat up and down the coast. If you fish at whippari, ask them if Bruce Leslie of Placencia is one of the guides they use. He is fantastic.
    -T

5. whipraycaye@yahoo.com

whipraycaye@yahoo.com fishers R us

Whipray advertises all of the Big 3 because they are there: permit and tarpon feed off the flats that surround the caye, but mostly in ones or twos and the occasional school of nice sized tarpon coming up in scools from the eastern drop off of the caye. For bonefish they take a little boat ride out to nearby cayes or down to the white sandy flats about 30 minutes south of the caye, depending on the weather. Once you chase permit though, you'll be hooked.

Caye and Lodge owner and guide Julian Cabral works from Whipray and also from Placencia, but the packages are all-inclusive and the caye is a great starting point at 5am! When there are more than 2 fishers, he hires his brothers, also great guides, to come and work there too. Food is great, fishing is great (Julian will rent his gear if you really prefer that too), beds are comfortable. Not much else to wish for but that great photo of you and the fish.

Whatever, enjoy your trip!

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

We were there in October last year, and had successful days for both bones and tarpon. We did not stay in an all-inclusive, although we have done so elsewhere in the past. Our hotel on the beach was old, but clean and very adequate, but also $55 per night. On the Beach, nothing between the room and the water but white sand. Our guide supplied fly gear for both, that was very adequate. I would recommend him highly, name is Mario Graniel.

Mario Graniel [mariosportsfishing@yahoo.com]

We were on Ambergris Cay, fished two days, snorkeled and dived for Lobster on the 3rd. If memory serves, Mario charged $350 per day. He also has fished blue water for sails. Google him. He is said to be one of the top 3 guides in Belize, and also an ex-scuba instructor, plus a life long resident. He knows his stuff. If/when I go again, I will do the same. We were able to eat at different restaurants each night, meal costs were very modest, they prepared the two fish we caught for dinner for us for a modest charge. The place is so laid back, you won't have any problems with lodging or meals.