Bellingham Bay

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by andrew, Jul 15, 2011.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Anyone try Post yet?

Been awhile since I've fished the salt, can someone refresh my memory concerning tides, whether it's best to fish the tail end of a flood or fish the beginning of the flood? Or just simply early morning?

Thanks!

Andrew

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Hit Post after work with the family...after 10 casts or so I hooked a 12" or so salmon (pink? silver?). Had a few other hits as well, and then landed an 'unknown'...looks like a big sculpin. Fished until the rains swept in around 7:30 or so. Did see a NICE cut jump a few yards to my left, but no boils or bait jumping.

3. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

Awesome, I've lived in Bellingham for 6 years and I haven't done much fishing in the bay. How has it been?

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've been down there with my dog a hundred times, but never fished. However, I will say that I've seen some Lummi (I'm guessing) fishermen setting their nets not too far offshore, so something must run through there.

5. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Kinda hard to see much detail in that photo, but the first fish actually looks like an SRC to me. I zoomed in on your photo and the tail looks very square, and quite a few spots. 2nd fish is the Pacific Staghorn Sculpin aka bullhead - one of my favorite childhood trophies! Good job getting some fish out there!

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

I thought it was a SRC, however, there wasn't any hint of yellow, or the slash. The picture doesn't show it well, but the fish's back was dark blue, the tail and spots looked awfully coho-ish to me. The fish reminded me of the 'jacks' we'd catch off the rocks in Lake Michigan, just bigger.

Went out again Sunday, saw bait jumping around, and one decent fish (salmon) jump 30' in front of me. However, neither myself or buddy caught anything. Had a few bumps.

Last pink season I caught one in the same spot, as well as, a 10" SRC. It's a 2 minute drive for me so I intend to chuck more flies out there in the weeks to come.

7. aaronk

aaronk Member

Fished Post this evening. Lots of bait around but nothing caught.

8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

That is definately a cutty, a very bright one but check the spots on the tail. If you enlarge the photo you'll see it.

9. dubblj

dubblj New Member

Post is only going to get better as the season progresses. Some years it is THE spot on the bay to find the pinks and sometimes silvers as well from shore. It's all up to those little buggers as to where they are going to congregate though. I'll keep my ear to the ground for you and keep an eye on the fishing report page at our (Mayberry's) website. Eli will be squealing like a little girl when the fish show up in the bay.

10. dubblj

dubblj New Member

Also, no question on the identity of the salmonid. Coho don't have spots on their tails. Pretty little cutty!

11. anybody ever fish down towards clarks point or up by locust beach area?

12. Swoff

Swoff Member

I'd agree on that being a cutty, spots on the tail and also below the lateral line. Good to see the young man getting "hooked" early :)

13. andrew

andrew Active Member

Went out at 7:00 pm on Saturday (second half of flood), fished until 9:00. Was difficult to see if anything was jumping or crashing bait with all the weekend crabbers zipping here and there. Caught another sculpin 6-7" or so, then a what looked like a small ling (did not have 'horns' like the sculpin); tail had white, brown, and black spots, and the mouth was packed with teeth. Highlight was a 14" or so cutty...this one looked similar to the first however, it did have a small hint of yellow. All fish were caught with a #10 or #8 sparse pink and white clouser.