Bellingham's Post Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by andrew, Aug 14, 2007.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Has anyone walked the 'tracks' to post point yet? Now that H&H is gone I'm in need of some 'local shop talk' bad! When do the pinks typically start showing?

2. mozart

mozart Chris

A few of us went out there last Friday but didn't see anything rolling nor did we get any hits. I think it's still too early up here. All the Southerners are hogging it all!

3. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

I agree, still too early as of my outing Friday evening. Should be any day... just keep tryin'!

4. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

I fished there Tuesday from 3-6,didn't see or catch anything.I used small pink clousers then switched to green to target cutts to no avail.Good Luck out there.
    Bill

5. mozart

mozart Chris

Was that you on in the water on Friday? You had your daughter(s)?

6. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    billkendrick831@msn.com,

You say you were after cutts out at Post Pt.? I'm from Bellingham, and I plan to move back in a couple years. I've become addicted to saltwater SRC fishing while living in Seattle, but haven't been able to find much info on fishing for them up in B'ham. Have you had some decent success up there? I don't want to know all your secret spots, just whether or not I should be excited about continuing to target SRC's when I move back up there. Thanks!

7. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

I wouldn't say Bellingham is good for cutts at all,I know they're here but I haven't unlocked the code.I'm assuming Chuckanut and Whatcom creeks having sizeable Chum returns would equal cutthroats but I haven't found that to be true.When I really want to catch cutts I head to Everett or somewhere else south.Ihave tried the salt up here but I can't figure it out.Lake fishing is great in Bellingham.I hear there's cutt action from cherry Pt.and north but I heven't had much luck.Bellingham proper doesn't have beaches w/ good searun habitat but I still try occasionally, anyway thats my take on searuns in Bellingham,if anyone has a different take I'd like to hear it.

8. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Yep. Had other things to do (my 4 year old loves to play on the beach) so I only fished a short time, but not seeing any jumpers, figured I wasn't missing anything anyway. I usually have other spots I fish, but the point is close and easy for a quickie.

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Post Point Report as of 5:30 08/15

Hoofed my two year old to Post and only saw two guys fishing...by the time I got there it seemed like the 'flood' was over. Talked a bit with the two guys and one said he saw a jump a ways out there, but nothing.

I may go tomorrow...and see if I can do anything...but agree that it is to soon.

Has anyone ever fished Cherry Point for the silvers? The one guy was telling me that I could probably use my pontoon and troll around for them...:confused:

Andrew - All I know about salt water fishing is that the water is wet.

10. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Out by the refineries just north of Sandy Point in September thre are some great spots for your 'toon and silvers. I went out there 3-4 times last year with my brother adn there were silvers all over the place. The only one we caught was spewing sandlance as I was bringing it in. I caught a small one probably 2-3 lbs, but there were definitely larger fish out there and there were a lot of them. You can also find cutts off of Sandy Point (and salmon off the point as well).

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Cool my Dad is coming in for a visit the first part of September...by chance can you give me directions as to where I can put my toon in at?

Thanks!

Andrew

12. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Hmm... I honestly don't know where you can put your 'toon in at. My mom lives on the water at Sandy Point, so we just head out from their dock. We were fishing by the Philips-Conoco dock if that helps. There were some large kelp beds really close in to shore.

13. costa7810

costa7810 New to the internet

I Fished the area yesterday, wednesday, on the low ebb tide. No wind, which made
    things pleasant. No action on the water eventhough it felt real fishy (maybe it was
    just hope). Lost patience and thought "I'll just go down to Whatcom Creek
    and slay 'em". Well I got down there and the tide was already coming in. 1 to 3
    pound pinks were taking their time milling about in the pools. A good number of them.
    Gear guys were occasionally hooking up. Great. Waded out there and got skunked.
    Again. No worries though. Had a friend tell me she saw a "three foot" silver fish jump
    around Marine Park. After I questioned her about it, it turns out it could have been a coho
    or perhaps a chinook. Not a pink. This is the same girl who thought "waders" were used
    to...and I quote her, "keep you weighted down so the tide doesn't sweep you away".
    Classic! In her defense, she is relatively smart.