Ben Howard Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Smith, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Stigma is why they get all the news coverage. They dont cause the largest percentage of dog attacks. Its called fear and ignorance. I would be much more worried about a poodle or a chow. My pits were attacked twice by Aussie mixes. Must be the pits fault.

TFG hows the koolaid

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

I got the above info. by googling Pit bull statistics. It seemed in line with any of the other information even from seemingly pro-pit bull web pages. I will not let my children near them, ever. That's how I do it. You all can do as you want.

It seems to me that there are labs that won't fetch but then at the age of 6 or 7 will suddenly fetch something. It's bred into them. A pit bull may not attack for years but at the age of 6 or 7....
    With their breeding and massive strength it doesn't seem worth it to me.

BTW- call in the dog next time.

Go Red Sox,

cds

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    There's more reason than the media reports for being especially concerned about encountering a PB sans handler. I just read the stats a few days ago, but can't remember the numbers. The conclusion is that even though Pit Bulls are a small % of the dogs reported for biting people, they are a very disproportionately high relative to their numbers. Something like 10 if not 20 times more likely to bite people and require medical attention. Just that bit of information is reason enough to be very cautious of an encounter with an unattended PB.

I like dogs, but I've come to realize that I really like dogs whose owners/handlers have actually bothered to train them and make them into animals that are a pleasure to be around. Dogs of practically every breed that have never learned anything, including their name, are more of a pain in the ass than those that are responsive to people.

Sg

4. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

So lets see here.I've been bit by a poodle,sheperd,basset hound,springer and chased by a pittbull(I was faster than my little brother)My point is it doesn't matter what kind of dog it is if they want to bite you they will.There animals for gods sake.It pisses me off that pitts are singled out.Look up and see what breed has bitten the most people you might be suprised.By the way it is not a pittbull.Oh I forgot to tell you the basset was my own dog.shes bit me twice now. I just don't sneak up behind her.My dog some times gets out of the yard I hope none of you dog killing assholes are around next time she does.

john

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:

iagree

Everyone knows that when a pit-bull gets a hold of you, or your kid, your in real trouble. It's not your lab that lashed back from fear, or the poodle you tried to take a treat from. Your in a real dog fight with a Pitt bull.
    Personally, I have to wonder who would want to have a pit bull as a dog. It's a continuous battle to prove they are good dogs, and If you wrong, and it bites someone, besides you, they will probably sue. No thanks.

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    All those statistics show is that the dogs tend to do more damage. Pit Bull is a term used for a group of dog breeds. So comparing statistics with a German Sheppard, or another single breed is hardly accurate.

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Stigma? I think it's proof and evidence they are a problem.

Koolaid is ok. Crystal light is what I prefer and drink when fishing.

I don't think the people who compiled those stats lumped pitts in with boxers or rotts etc. The stats are the proof behind the pudding. They are very accurate. You can read some for yourself...

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html Scroll down to the Deadliest dogs.

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog Bite Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html

The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

8. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Deja Vu anyone? I could swear this same issue has come up before.
    I searched the archives but most of the results are related
    to Bull Trout. Boy, you wanna talk about ferocious predators...

9. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    "The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls."

Hardly speaks to the frequency of pit attacks and comparison to other breeds

"In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks."

This only shows the dogs do more damage when they attack. What do they consider a pit bull?

In 37 years, 342 children were killed by dogs, an average of about nine children a year. Shockingly, approximately three children are killed each day, or 1,100 per year, by their parents. Delise notes that "A child in the United States is over 100 times more likely to be killed by his or her parent or caretaker than by a dog."

An unsupervised dog off leash anywhere is unacceptable. The breed is hardly the issue.

10. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Our veterinarian cant even tell what kind of terrier our dogs are. So how does the moron at channel 6 know. :beer1:

11. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    yeah, it is much scarier when my dad walks up to me while i'm fishing than an untagged, unleashed pitbull:beathead: I agree that the owner has alot to do with it, but there is also a reason they get the bad wrap. There was also a reason Michael Vick was raising pitbulls over labs and poodles.

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    hehe, Hard to argue with common sense. I agree Jergens I agree.

13. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Ignorance is bliss ladies, enjoy your bubble

14. Man, this is gonna get alot of mileage. Sounds like there is some parallelism between between a pitbull and the gun debate. Its all up to the person/owner behind the trigger/dog, IMO. Some breeds are more prone to bite than others, I think the reason why 50% of the bites come from Pitts is because of that 3%, there is a high probable number of dogs used for illegal fighting.

My cousin is a vet and she loves pitts and she has several of them when people dump these dogs because they have no value in the dog fighting world, SAD. They do get a bad rap, I agree, but its up to the owner to properly socialize, train ANY dog, whether its a Pitt bull or a Lab.

A friend of mine also owns a Pitt, one day she was attacked by an off leash mixed breed and messed her up as well as her dog. Her dog was not to blame and to this day she carries a stun gun, not for her dog that gets out of control, but for any other dogs that might provoke a biting incident.

Choose your medicine, pick you sides... As with any dogs and young kids you have to be careful, unless you absolutely 100% know the dog. I was always told from a young age never to pet any strange dog when they're nursing or especially eating.

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    I'm sure the people in all the cities that have banned Pitts are in the same ignorance as we are. You can't blame the owners for all the bad crap and stigma there is out there for pitts. Yes.. Ignorance is bliss....Now calling us ladies...That's a low blow

16. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

What are some good patterns for Pitt River bull trout? Thinking about fishing for Pitt bulls.

17. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I offer my own personal experience for your consideration. I was accosted in my own yard by my neighbor's off leash pit bull. I was unharmed, but shaken by the incident. I went over to talk to the neighbor about it, he told me to go to hell and slammed the door in my face. I filed a complaint with King Co. animal control who took the report - end of conversation. I went to my local police dept. to inquire about what action to take in the future. I am a pet owner and am as concerned for the safety of my dog as I am for myself and the lady I live with. The police told me to shoot the dog if it came on my proerty. I told him I didn't want to shoot the animal, and if I did, they would no doubt confiscate my sidearm. He gave me his card and told me to call him, that he liked to shoot them and did so every time he got a chance.

While pit bulls were bred to kill, the temperament of individual animals can be variable. My city has a dangerous dog ordinance which speaks to Pit Bull terriers in specific along with a few other breeds. I have no issue with the dog unless and until it harms me, my family or my dog. However, by then it will be too late. I do have a problem with the dog's owner, for which I have no remedy. I still probably won't shoot the dog if it accosts/attacks me again, but I will avail myself of the full remedies allowed by law. While one hopes for the best, one must also be prepared for other than the best. In this case, being prepared has few good options.

Personally, I don't like pit bulls in any situation. Many reports from owners of pit bulls who have attacked say that their dog was always well mannered and had not shown aggressive behavior before. I have no other comment in this case. For me, the pit bull's presence would present me significant impairment to my fishing experience, and likely cause me to seek other recreational opportunities and location.

18. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

So, has anyone been fishing ?????

19. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    You can always tell someone who is losing their arse in an intelligent debate...they resort to name-calling.

20. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    OK ladies and gents...time for everyone's favorite daytime tv game show!!! "Dog Or Human...Whose To Blame?!?"

Let's start the game:

1. Breeding of PB's for the sake of killing.....dog or human?
    2. Laws that allow possession/ownership of a potentially dangerous breed.....dog or human?
    3. Laws that allow off lead public dwelling of a potentially dangerous breed.....dog or human?
    4. The fact that it's a potentially dangerous breed.....(oh, guess #1 covered that)
    5. Dangerous pair of PB's gain access to infant.....dog or human? C'mon use that noodle...the questions are getting more difficult.
    6. You step in dogshit while out for a Sunday stroll.....dog or human?
    7. Neighbor's pesky pup keeps you up all night from nonstop barking/howling.....dog or human?
    8. You and your poodle are out for a nice Sunday stroll when, from out of nowhere, a very large male PB sprints up, grabs said poodle by the face, shakes violently and swallows the appetizer whole.....dog or human?
    9. Pit Bulls suck.....dog or human?
    10. Bonus Question (---triple point score value---): You and your poodle are out for a nice Sunday stroll when, from out of nowhere, my car races up, runs you and your poodle over (you both die), and speeds off.....car or human?

Is this really that hard to understand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.