Ben Howard Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Smith, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    There is no point in arguing. They dont even properly read the statistics they post. Pit bulls dont cause 50% of all dog bites. They cause 50% of serious attack. The criteria of which is not in print. They dont bite and run off. The breed when threatened does not back down. They dont feel pain. They fear nothing. They are not going to put 2 puncture wounds in you hand, if provoked they will tear your arm off. This speaks to their ability to inflict damage not there temperment.

They arent by nature aggressive. Dogs act out for three reasons, lack of exersize, lack of socialization, and in the defense of their owner.

The thing that most people dont understand when they get a pit bull is that they require a specific type of owner. They have to be exercised daily. Walking a dog exercises their body and their mind. Pit bulls are a breed of dog raised to work. Without enough exercise they become frustrated. They have to be socialized often. They cant be kept pinned up in the house. They need to interact with people outside the house along with guest coming and going.

It really comes down to the owner. I believe that pit bulls should only be owned by dedicated dog owners who have the time to do what is necessary to raise them in a healthy environment. The unfortunate fact is that a lot of these dogs are owned by these wanna be gangbanger retards that purchase them because they think its cool. Its a symbol of power. They chain them to a tree and dont exercise them they dont properly socialize them. I would be willing to bet that they encourage aggresive behavior because they think its cool. These are the dogs that end up on the news.

Bottom line is that these dogs have the potential to inflict a lot of damage. People need to understand and assume the responsibilty that comes along with owning a breed like this.

They are not for everyone.

I apoligize for the ladies comment. Not one of my most mature moments.

Brad
  2. Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

Bend Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Brad,

Thanks for the clarification. I think we all understand that it may not be the dog, but the owner, who is fucked up. The problem is when the animal acts out, at that point it doesn't make a difference. When the animal attacks (whatever the animal, not just dogs) it becomes the problem of the person that is being attacked and if an animal does not feel pain, does not back down and has the ability to tear your arm off and kill anything it attacks...then it's time to shoot
  3. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    That is the unfortunate reality, and I completely agree.
  4. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I prefer fighting pit bulls with nothing less than a 12wt and 350 yards of 50# backing.
  5. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    They put up a hell of a fight on an Echo practice rod :rofl:
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Mine's a sweetheart. So is my doberman. Maybe I should pack a sidearm when I bring my pit fishing with me, in case any poorly bred humans are around that need to be put down. That's a joke, see clowny face? :clown:

Attached Files:

7. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Imagine if all those little ankle biting dogs were the size of PBs, shepards, and rots. I think Pits would be on the bottom of the danger list then. Imagine what a raging chiwawa can do to your waders if it jumped out of the bushes while walking down a trail. I think one of those snake bite gaurds are in call in order to protect my waders.
  8. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +387 / 0

A few years back I was walking from the Cracker Bar back to my parked truck and I encountered a pitt bull along the trail that goes under the bridge through the woods to the Skykomish. The pitt was chained to a tree about 50 feet from the road and looked pretty pissed, barking and growling when it saw me coming (it wasn't there when I arrived a few hours earlier). It was just about dark and I wasn't going near that thing so I bush wacked through the corn maze of trails until I found the road. When I arrived at the parking lot I saw another vehicle tucked near the blackberry bushes with it's dome light on (then quickly switched off as I came into view), inside were a couple of occupants. These were not fisherman, it was clearly some kind of drug related thing going on, so I threw my gear in the truck and got the hell out of there.

If you encounter an unattended pitt bull in the woods while fishing western Washington you should be worried, it generally means trouble (this is still meth country). I don't carry pistols when I fish, but in some areas (Sky, Stilly, Sauk, Skagit) I will carry pepper spray for man or beast. I've seen too many sketchy things out there not to be cautious and ready.

Regarding pitt bull owners, you are inviting financial disaster by owning that breed. Make sure you own a bunch of insurance in case your dog leaves your property.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    I was fishing up on the Skagit and using a fairly unknown gravel road and hike access point. I park the car and begin hiking across a clear cut and all of a sudden a pit bull comes running and barking and growling. I just point my rod at the dog and kind of keep it at a distance for a minute while I watch some guy come running up the trail towards me. He looks GNARLY and his teeth were yellow as a banana.

So he get to his pit and puts on its leash and than answers his phone and says, "No its cool. They are just fishermen." Than he tells me "we are camping there for a few months" pointing off the trail into the woods.

I definately wasn't going back there for a while.
  10. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    What's a "banada?"
  11. Jeff Member

Fairbanks, AK
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    People should be responsible for their dogs. If they're not, a person has every right to defend themselves against an attacking animal.

It just doesn't seem that complex to me.

-J
  12. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Was thinking the same thing.
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    It is a mis-spelled "banana".
  14. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wow, what a shit storm I stirred up. What would have happened if I said it was a Pomeranian? :clown:

Anyways, after reading your comments. I should have just gotten back in the car and left. My thoughts at the time were, "If I run and act afraid, I'm toast. If I'm friendly and not afraid, I have a chance." Hence the lunch I fed it and my attitude toward the dog.

I believe on the "Is the Pit Bull a bad dog?" Question.. No, and yes.

No they aren't Bad dogs, they are only going be as good or bad as they are trained. However they are inherently more violent and aggressive. Like stated before, Michael Vick bred PB's and not Poodles, and a bad person is going to train a bad dog.

I should have called animal control, and next time I will. In fact, i will call them and report the incident so they will have an FYI and be on the lookout.

Thank you Gentlemen (and Ladies) for your comments. :beer2:
  15. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Pit Bulls are an aggressive and violent dog, but they are not the most aggressive and violent. If little ankle biters where of the same size I'm sure Michael Vick would have chose a pomeranian or something (to many little breeds to list, all aggressive and violent). It's just that Pits have the size and strength. Imagine a wiener dog with a pit bulls jaw, scary. Not to mention Pits have the rep as fighting dogs, so a lot of idiots get them and raise them poorly. Personaly I have had to high step around and avoid more little dogs than big ones. I agree that it is the owners fault most, if not all of the time, for an aggressive dog. Except for the little ones, they are just plain mean.
  16. Gatorator Member

Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If my Jack Russel weighed a hundred pounds there wouldn't be a basketball in the whole State safe from attack. :eek:
  17. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Haa! :rofl::rofl:
  18. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I think it would be safe to say that most of us have been in like situations that have been mentioned here. Being retired law enforcement I have been bit more than once by big and small dogs, nothing serious so I guess I have been lucky. I have had cats killed by dogs, and my children threatened by dogs. I had a doberman take my son down to the ground as he wanted his hot dog. I was up to bat observed same and took off running. The damn dog was faster or i would have crushed his skull or broke ribs for sure. The point is I will do what I think needs to be done at the time to either stay safe or protect what is mine. To what degree:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:can't say yet as each one will be different. It will depend on just how much of a threat there is on me or what is mine. I guess it is just a good thing we did not domesticate lions and tigers oh my.

Jeff B
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    I have a 180 pound Newfie. A soccer ball looks like a tennis ball in his mouth compared to most dogs. They last for about 5 retrievals, then poof, no air.
  20. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    What color was the pitbull? There are a few strays that run that strech. One that looks like a pitbull, but really isn't, and 2 others that look like rotweiler/german shepherd mixes. I've fished by them quite a few times and they are generally harmless. The pitt bull looking dog is a greyish color. If it didn't look like either of those descriptions, call animal controll. Someone probably lost their dog and is looking for it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.