Ben Howard Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Smith, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hem Member

Three Forks, Mt.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I don't have any patience for aggressive animals,and I DO own a chesy that can be a little intimidating at times.I don't like his "quirkyness" , and even though he has never bitten anybody, and I don't think he would,I still don't like the intimidation factor.I speculate how many pit bull owners might have this dog because of the intimidation factor.The ego factor sometimes goes hand in hand with the pitbull reputation, THAT raises my hackles and puts me on defense.Face it some $hitbag covered with jailhouse tats,trying to restrain his pitbull with a tow chain isn't gaining my confidence.Case of good dog/bad dog,who wants to take the chance.One day I pulled into a parking lot and parked next to a compact pick-up.The truck had a topper and a long window opening on the side which I had to walk past.As I walked past the vehicle a dog lunged from inside and nailed me right behind the ear, I never saw it coming.This sucker could have taken my eye out.The owner laughed it off ,until he saw me go back to my truck and reach under the seat.Bottem line,aggressive dog owners MUST be vigilant of their pets.Unrestrained animals, capable of inflicting serious damage,that attack,shall be laid to waste,and all you animal lovers can dig the grave.Better safe than sorry.No apologies here.
  2. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The pit was Brown, It was at the third or fourth pull-off east of the ben howard launch. There was a Basset Hound with it. Notice I never warned you guys about the Basset Hound, no respect for the Basset. :clown:
  3. Omar Quiroga Member

lake forest park, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I dont really have time to read this whole thread but all I have to say is on thanksgiving I went out to the upper sky and was walking thru a small path and was approached by a black pitbull that was seruisly trying to get at me and my buddys. I love dogs and own one myself but i honestly think untill you are in the situation where you come accross a wild dog that can easly tear you apart you really dont have a say. I would never thought i would have hurt a dog untill i had this encounter. I didnt do anything to the dog but called to cops and never went back to that spot.
  4. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    titanium Smith and Wesson .22 Magnum is in the planning..
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    I was walking back to my car one day on the lower Kalama after a morning spent gear fishing for salmon. My car was parked in a good sized pullout on the north and uninhabited side of the river. I had not even been close to any private property the entire morning and had fished the same area at least a dozen times over the years. I hadn't seen another soul and was having a real good day. As I approached the first house on the river side of the road a woman opened the front door and a bulldog bolted out. Not a pit bull but a very large and highly aggressive dog. It ran directly at me at full speed. I was carrying a salmon and a Lamiglass steelhead rod with a big open face spinning reel on it. As the dog approached I dropped the salmon and grabbed the rod with both hands only seconds before the dog arrived. It lunged forward at me in an attempt to knock me down but in that instant before it hit me I jammed the long butt of that rod as far down the dog's throat as I had the strength to do. The force of the adrenalin fueled blow knocked the dog to the ground where it writhed in agony coughing and gasping for breath while feebly trying to get to it's feet. If it hadn't been for that big spinning reel the rod would have probably come out it's ass I hit it so hard.

The woman ran out of the house to retrieve her mutt which was laying in the middle of the road. She never said a word to me nor I to her. But afterwards I'm sure she could tell the difference between "C'mere" and "Sic 'em".

Ive
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +511 / 0
    Dorman easemant path? Just curious , I have had encounters with loose dogs there. I have not been back there for the past 4 or so years due to that fact.
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    To be clear, since I was a bit brief and abrasive in my previous post: I would not set out and choose pit bull as a breed to own. I met my dog when she was very young where I had my doberman kenneled during a fishing trip, she *loves* people and attention, that's why I wanted her - total people dog. She was rescued and there as a result of an organization that rescues potential fighting dogs. Mine was fortunately found as a young pup so she only had a couple minor quirks to work out in training, she was 9 months when I got her.

And I totally agree that people have a right to defend themselves from *anything* that is life threatening. Um, yep.
  8. Omar Quiroga Member

lake forest park, WA
    exactly! There is some killer water there to not be able to access because someones out of control dog. The cops didnt seem to care much at all. I asked for a phone call back to see what the solution to the problem was and he told me he has to many other things to do rather than to call me back. :beathead:
  9. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Matt, You sucked everyone in !! I caught on right away. You said dog. Everyone knows that pits are not dogs but ASSHOLES !!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  10. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I take my 5yr old fishing with me quite a bit...in that circumstance, the dog would have been a puddle of goo.
    Then we'd go home and give our lab a treat.
    Some people don't have a preservation instinct.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    The situation that was stated at the beginning of the thread made no mention of threatened children. And the way I read the original post it described the reactions of a frightened dog and that is the premise I made my post on. Totally different than the situation you present. Apples to oranges.

Seek more wisdom..........
  12. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Ahh Brad, It's good to see you coming out of your shell a little bit. I knew there was some piss and vinegar in you somewhere.

I agree with you about pitts and their owners. They need to be very responsible; however, the same thing can be said of lions tigers and bears. Even with the utmost caution, the animal can still Snap...Just ask Siegfried and Roy (sp?). With that said, lions tigers and bears will back down and will run when needed, they have common sense...Pitts do not. Pitts, as you said, will not back down, will not feel pain, and will not stop untill, well who knows when, each one is different. I would also venture to say that over 95% of the pitt owners do not take care of them as you described, and if that is the case, they need to be managed and or get rid of.

FF, yep when I'm attacked or someone else's baby is attacked by a pitt and fatally wounded and or killed, I'll look back on your logic here and think... Damn Humans.:rofl:
  13. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    You cant be serious, comparing a domesticated dog breed to wild animals. Hell of a stretch hope you didn't pull a muscle
  14. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Why is it a stretch? I was talking about owners of animals that are wild. Circus, exotic owners, etc. Wild animals have common sense, Pitts don't. Wild animals can be tamed and bred...Wolf pups etc. and so can Pitts.
  15. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    They dont have common sense based on what? That they dont react in the same way you would. They dont have the mental capacity to view situations like we do. Wild animals are wild by nature. Pits are not. They have the physical characteristics to be fighting dogs, or hurt someone but that not their nature. Wild animals are another story. That bucket dont hold water.
  16. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I too see the three dogs roaming that stretch quite often they never give me more than a second glance and maybe a bark. I see them quite often by elwell creek as I most often fish that stretch. Good to know although it wont stop me from fishing that stretch, but I will def. keep it in the back of my mind. To me a dog is not too big of a deal unless its Kujo im more worried about those big furry cats sitting in the bushes waiting to pounce. I have mixed emotions about pitts my dog was once attacked by one and I have had some close encounters with them. Im not here to point blame at the owner nor the dog but if I am attacked or really fear for my life, sorry its the dog over me any day, and yes I too love dogs and have had one since I was a kid but some dogs just were not born with a full deck weather it be a pitt or any breed.
  17. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    You are kinda going in circles here, as you stated earlier that Pitts do have the tendency to hurt and attack someone....Unless their owners are very very responsible and do all those things you mention. By that alone, I would say it is in their breed to attack and hurt someone in certain situations.

The common sense I was referring to wasn't the same as people, more of an animal sense. IF a wild animal knows it's gonna lose and or die, it backs down and runs (unless defending youg etc), Pitts are not that smart, and do not back down even till death. Most of the time you have to pry their jaws open with a screwdriver even after they are dead (I've had personal experiece with this). How would you categorize a dog that does that? Not wild? Then what?
  18. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    The only good pit is a dead one. Period.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    I could say the same about Scotch drinkers and I have been attacked by Scotch drinkers more than by pitbulls. Low holed by 'em also.
  20. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Attack until death :rofl: :rofl: A pit bull or any dog for that matter will attack until you give it a swift wading boot to the nose promptly followed by grabbing the hind legs and tossing it half way across the river.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.