Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Berry ID?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Big E 
#1 ·
Have several long single stalk (3 to 4') plants in the garden. Yesterday I noticed that they were getting ripe fruit on the end of the stalk. The fruit looked a lot like raspberries and is just now ripening. I originally (in the summer) thought they were weeds but let them grow to see what they were. Very little foliage on them. Sorry no pics yet.

Any guesses?

#3 ·
With a description like that you'll get no accurate answers...

Salmonberry maybe?...

#7 ·
...take zee pichures - then we ansher!!!

I'm thinking thimbleberries or black caps but it's getting pretty late for any of our native berries to just now be getting ripe. Could be a non-native that was introduced. Pictures will help.

#10 ·
Looks just like a raspberry to me....

Taste one silly!

Poison only works when you ingest it, tasting is what will reveal the secret question...

#16 ·
Big E,
So, did you try eating any? Any good?

We (my wife and I) picked enough wild huckleberries this fall for four pies! I thought with all the dry and hot weather we'd had, the berries wouldn't be too abundant. But our old "secret" berry hole proved me wrong. No C&R on huckleberries! Really good eating..

#19 ·
First nobody can tell what kind of fish they are catching and now it goes to berries. What gives????????????????????????//

I used to find where they were growing wild and then go eat them when they were ripe. Not wild ones the domestic ones.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.