Best 8wt steelhead nymph line

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Luke77, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +220 / 0
    Hey everyone, Just putting this out there to get some different opinions. I'm looking for a good nymph line that can throw 2 heavy bugs and an indicator and still mend well. I'll be using it on an 8wt 9' fast action rod. So, lets hear it...
  2. Cruncher -

Marquette Park Lagoon
    Ratings: +3 / 3
    I would, at a minimum, go up one line wt and possibly two, depending on the line maker.

Check the grain range for your rod and you may want look into the Sage Indicator series. I picked up the 320gr and it worked great, although I used it on a 8wt 11' switch rod but it casted effortlessly.

I'm sure there are plenty opinions out there.
  3. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Take a cheap wff line 2 weights over rod rating and cut off 8 to 12' of the skinny front taper. Moves the weight forward - forward and creates mass to turn over mass and does not under line the rod while leaving a nice taper to stack mend. 8wt is not for a delicate presentation but for a 1" thingamabobber - jig (stonefly)- and egg pattern (bead). But what do I know I am a swinger.

Craig
  4. Cougarz New Member

Buckley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been pretty pleased with the long belly Cortland 444SL. It's stiffer and slicker then others I'e tried and it mends easier too.
  5. jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Toronto, ON
    Try to get your hands on the Wulff triangle taper nymph line. It gives you a ton of control with your nymph rigs, and with a nice short head you don't have to worry about having a mile of line out to load the rod.

On the other end of the spectrum, my wife fishes the SA Mastery Nymph and I'm amazed at how it allows decent rollcasts with big nymph/indicator setups. Long mends seem to be pretty easy with this line also. Depending on your rod, you may want to go a line up with the SA.
  6. Abomb Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I am running the SA Steelhead taper. I really like it. Turns over junk well and picks up real nice for mending and quick roll casts. I am running it on a medium fast rod though so you may want to line up for a fast action.
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    I'm a swinger too, but Docstash nailed it. Cut the front taper off a 10 wt for your 8 wt. Probably throw weighted Intruders too, tho I haven't tried it.

Sg
  8. Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    SA Magnum taper
  9. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I wouldn't recommend the triangle taper lines for nymphing because they have weak turnover due to their interesting taper. I've been using the airflo ridge nymph since it came out and havn't felt the need to switch after trying SA and Rio stuff.
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    SA steelhead = $$$$
  11. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0

iagreeiagreeiagreeiagreeiagreeiagree

Mastery Steelhead taper.

The best all-around steelhead line . . . heck, great all-around fishing line.
  12. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
    FWIW, I use Rio's Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead 8wt DTF. Works great for me on the roll.
  13. RLH New Member

.Castle Rock WA
    Sage indicator taper is hands down the best nymphing line ever.
  14. Warmonger newt

Yakima, WA
    Sharkskin - Steelhead Taper?

heard good things about it.... but NVR tried it