Best Bang for Your Buck... 3 wt Reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by SHARP, Jan 5, 2011.

1. SHARP

SHARP Member

Looking for a good, cost effective 3 wt reel.

2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Pflueger Medalist 1492, a new or old version. Or find an old Martin 62 ($10-15) or Martin MG-3 ($45-50) reel off Ebay. The 62 is a basic, light reel to hold line which is all it'll be doing with a 3wt. The MG-3 is a sweet, very light reel and is often referred to as a Poor Man's Hardy. A Martin LM45 is also a nice older reel to consider...looks like a Orvis CFO.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I like the Sage 3100, Sage 3200, Orvis BKLA I and II that I've got. Hold the line well. BKLA has a nice drag. Capacity of a line and some backing. Some good deals can be had on the 3100/3200 from time to time on the web via closeouts and the BKLA's pass through the classifieds from time to time too.

4. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Loomis Ventura will work well. Don't spend more than $100 bucks on a line holder. You'll be fishing for smaller fish and probably won't ever get into the backing. Expensive reels with expensive features will be like "teats on a boar."

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

6. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

7. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

another nice click/pawl is the TFO 1 (not mk 1), about $120.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I got me a Martin a few years back. Not to sure on the model as the reel is outside and I ain't going out to look at it. But it fits my 3wt rod like a glove. Oh, and I paid $29.95 for it and it also has a drag, but I doubt if I will ever need it on small fish.

I've always been on the cheap side and always look for a bargain if it could be had.

9. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Allen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I have a Loomis venture for my 3 weight and think the thing is the titts.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Best bang for the buck could be a Ross Colorado size 0. They are discontinued but are often found on Ebay for less than their original price of $100. Light, simple spring and pawl reel, extremely well made, better tolerances than a Hardy Lightweight and half the price. Lower on the scale is the Reddington CT model I think it is. It was their only spring and pawl model that I've seen, also discontinued, but occasionally found on Ebay for around 60 or $70. Tolerances similar to Hardy. Otherwise any cheap small fly reel should do for a 3 wt, but since longevity is part of value, I don't know which ones are good, other than that Pflueger Medalist 1492, but it's clunky IMO.

Sg

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I bought a Ross Flywater. It's pretty smooth but they do not make it anymore. My best bang came when I bought a Marryat fo $50. Not much drag but then what would you hook on a 4 wt. anyway. Oh, wait a minute. That's the reel I caught my last steelhead on.

13. how bout an okuma slv? it is about 40 bucks

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

15. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

For a 3wt think simplicity. You likely are not going to be catching fish on it that will make line burning runs, so any well built inexpensive click-pawl should do. Basically all the reel needs to do is hold line. Other things to consider would be cosmetics and weight.

16. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

medalist, best $30 reel you can get

17. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

This thread could have stopped after 1 reply.

Medalist.

Go Sox,
    cds

18. I'm really impressed with Allen reels. See if you can get the Trout or Alpha from Justin. He was offering them for $60 a little while ago. Medalists are solid reels, but lack the silky smooth retrieve and pull you'll find with Allens and higher end reels.

19. SHARP

SHARP Member

Thanks for the tips everyone!

20. Walt K

Walt K Searcher

I use a Cortland Crown Disc "small" with my 3 wt. Simple and effective.