Best Callibaetis nymph patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kalm, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've always used generic or impressionistic patterns like zug bugs, pheasant tails, and hare's ears to imitate callibaetis nymphs. A variety of sizes, colors, and sparkle to narrow down the choices. Are there more specific callibaetis nymph imitations that any of you have found more successful, or are the tried and true the ticket?
  2. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    For lakes I haven't found anything better than Rickard's Callibaetis. It absolutely slays fish that are working near the surface.

here's a link to a photo: http://www.montanafly.com/2005 Fly Pages/Page_46/Rickards_Callibaetis_Nymph-Grey.htm

It's a simple tye, I make them up in sizes 12 and 14. I usually fish them off a floating line and either wind drift or make short strips. When it's really windy I'll fish it under an indicator. I've had it work really well when fish are refusing a standard pheasant tail or hares ear.

Rod :beer1:
  3. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  4. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great looking patterns, I'll get right to work, and if I remember, report back later in the spring when I try them out. Thanks!
  5. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Most Callibaetis nymph patterns that I've seen are w-a-a-ay too fat. The best one I've seen is Ralph Cutter's. I'll see if I can find a link to it.