Best Chironomid hook.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fishnfella, May 2, 2002.

1. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I noticed in the last "BC Outdoors" that an article on chironomids shows every pattern with a Partrige Straight Eye Hook. I have often thought myself that chironomids on straignt eye scud and straignt eye nymph hooks "hang a more natural vertical". Does anyone else share this opinion? Phil Rawley seems to have gone to all Partridge
    GRS15ST hooks in his tying of chronies,but I still see many patterns tied on turned down eye hooks.

I fooled around with pliers and discovered you can carefully convert your turned down eye hooks to straight eye.

How many think this is worth the effort?
    How many use straight eye hooks for their chironomids?
    What are your favorite hooks for tying Chronies?

2. steve s

steve s Member

Media:
    i usually just use the turned down eye hooks because they are easier to find than straight eye hooks and then i can use hooks that i already have, to tie chironomids. i usually use a 2x long, but it depends on what hooks i have on hand. i sometimes prefer the hooks that i tie stimulators with, i think that gives the chironomid a natural looking curve to their bodies. as for converting your current hooks to straight eye, i'm not sure if i would go through the trouble, one you could end up busting some of your hooks, possibly weaken them, and i don't know if it is really worth the time.
    steve s

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I use both scud and normal wet fly hooks to tie chironomids. It doesn't seem to make mcuh difference to the fish in my "studies" as they can be a bit curled or straight as they rise through the water column.

And as to eyes, it sounds like a straight eye would make knotting one on easier, but they are harder to get, so I still use down eye hooks in the regualar style.

The only thing I absolutely do is to see that there is white at the head of the fly.

Rob

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    For pupa patterns, I definitely prefer the scud hook with turned down eye for several reasons. I feel these hook up better, as the curve of the hook and the eye cause the hook to turn and set. I see these as close cousins to the circle hook in that it's often best to let the fish run for a "God Save the Queen" second before setting. I tend to get more lip and back jaw hook up's with these hooks, too. Awesome, if you wish to C&R or be selective about what you take home. Also, because of the curve and the eye, these twitch and flick more like a natural underwater if there is a slight chop on the surface.

For parachute emergers, of course, the standard TMC dry fly 100 has been what I've been using. However, I've been thinking about the 200 series as an option. The drop-tail design would probably stick more butt underwater, thus create a more accurate impression. Also, the 200 series gives more shank to work with, while presenting a relatively smaller hook gap. This is a good thing when smaller fish are striking. I'm thinking this because some streamers I tied on size 8-10 hooks were tearing up some 10" and under trout. I need to change my ways.

5. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Definately a scud hook for pupa patterns. Ceviche did a good job of explaining why.

6. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I use tiemco 2487s and 2312s. The 2487 is the scud hook, very curved, with a down eye. It's 2x short and 2x wide, so you get a very wide gap per length of fly. I use it for chironomids from size 12 to 20. It does worry me a bit in the larger sizes that it "presents" a very big hook gap, which could promote refusals, but I like the way the flies look, and who knows what the hell goes on down there anyway. In the smaller sizes, I like all the hook gap I can get. The 2312 is similar to the 200, with a straight eye. It says it's a 2x long, but they don't seem to be quite as long as the 200s, with a little more gap. I think the gap on the 200s is too small, particularly in the smaller sizes. The 2312 only goes down to #16, so it's only good for large and medium chironomids, but it has a very graceful curve, and I tie up a bunch of pupae with them for when those wide open #12 2487s start making me nervous.

7. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Well I been fishing that 5-7' water on Dry falls with chronies tied on several different sizes/types of hooks this year and have had the benefit of doing a little "Chironomid Jigging" right under the raft in the clear water,which by the way is clearer this year from the lack of sunshine over here.
    Anyhow there were numerous trout cruising and obviously feeding right around and under my raft. I tried to feed them chironomids as I watched. I learned that they often see and inspect/reject our chironomids (at least they reject some of mine!). Then those same ones that brought rejection would later on be bitten with vigor on occasion. So I adhere to the statement "who the hell knows what goes on down there or why fish react to one pattern at a certain time and not another." I basically didn't learn anything or make any decision whether straight eye/Scud/or traditional hooks are best.

The only conclusion I've come to is the bigger "bite" of those scud hooks definately hooks more fish and results in less long distance releases than the regular nymph hooks and that those tiny 18-24 hooks will definately hook up less and loose more fish than #14 & #16's.

I did learn that all those "mystery strikes" where the indicator is all the way down and the hookset brings nothing, are most likely rejections where the fish closely inspects your fly then catches on your leader enuff to pull the indicator under as it leaves. That's how those belly and tail hooks happen too. Their from your fly getting close inspection and rejection or else they took it for a split second and immediately spit it out.